Claudio is old news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claudio is old news

Football management is a fickle business. Not long ago everyone was talking about Claudio Ranieri, the old school manger who had stuck it to the big boys, winning the title with a squad of cast offs and lower league nobodies. Well now it turns out it was just a flash in the pan, and Claudio is nothing more than a has-been once more, endlessly tinkering with his squad and falling toward the Championship because he's got no idea what he is doing.
    Marco Silva. He's the new kid on the block and he's turning Hull from a complete basket case doomed to relegation into a well drilled machine capable of taking on any of the big clubs, even after having to sell their two best players. Well, their best one and Jake Livermore.
    Anyway, do you fancy proving yourself to be the next big thing like Marco and sticking up two fingers to Merse and Thommo rather than a fading star like Claudio? The you need to get yourself signed up as a new manager in the OTF League on Xpert Eleven.
    Want to know more? Xpert Eleven is an online football manager game. You are given a team with a squad of players and you compete in a league with other OTFers, some are hardcore regulars, and some are occasional posters and some are just lurkers who don't really post on here at all and just enjoy the game. We don't mind really.
    Just like in real football, you try to pick a team to beat your opponent whilst trying to nurture young talent and, with some training, squad alterations and accumulation of wealth, grow your squad of players into a successful winning team. You play in a league twice a week, and you get to choose the formation and style of play that you think best suits your team, and can buy and sell players in the transfer market and bring in new youth prospects.
    It doesn't take a lot of time either. A couple of minutes a day will usually do just to check updates and set you team, though you may spend a bit more than that on the site if you want to find a new player or write a press release (which can earn you extra cash).
    The game is easy to play, and the site is very simple to navigate. Also we are a welcoming bunch and are happy to help with any questions that might arise as you get used to the game play. Just try it for a season and see how you go, we won't mind if you decide that it isn't for you, though you might find it hopelessly addictive and end up running a massive private league like I and others have.
    It doesn't have to cost you anything. The game is free to join, but you have the option of purchasing VIP membership if you want to take advantage of extra gizmos or increase your team portfolio.
    And joining is easy too. This is the league invite link. Just click on it, enter your details and the OTF League admin Etienne will set you up.

Claudio is old news

It really does only take a couple of minutes a day. The monster thread of 1k+ posts show how much people have got into it, we're a helpful bunch and will answer any questions you have.
    Enjoy

Comment

Claudio is old news

And we're always happy to welcome back any prodigal sons and daughters who want to give it another try.

Comment

Claudio is old news

It's oddly addictive.

Even when you're solidly middle table, have no money and seem to have an abundance of mediocre defenders.

Like real football almost.

Comment

Claudio is old news

I remember real football.

It's not as good as Xpert Eleven, though.

Comment

Claudio is old news

I started two years ago, just to try. Now I have a few teams and really like it. You really can do it with a few minutes per day, but you can also be creative and spend a bit more time for tactics, press releases and more.

I really like the game.

Comment

Claudio is old news

"a few teams"?

Comment

Claudio is old news

Etienne wrote: "a few teams"?
                Yeah, just the fifteen.

Please Note: it is not compulsory to run fifteen teams. One will be fine.

Comment

Claudio is old news

Delighted to accept our first new applicant, Wythenshawe Wanderers, managed by Up_the_dale. Not sure if you have an OTF handle!

Comment

Claudio is old news

Very Golden Gordon.

Comment

Claudio is old news

Excellent news, welcome UTD/VGG and the Wanderers.

Comment

Claudio is old news

Equally delighted to welcome Jdsx and Four Candles.

Comment

Claudio is old news

Nice to welcome some newcomers. The main X11 thread (the one with over 1,000 pages) is the place to be for any questions or pointers - I know I found it invaluable when I was figuring out how to play.

Comment

Claudio is old news

Thanks Etienne. I've done spectacularly badly at both Fantasy Football and Fantasy iTeam recently, so I look forward to propping up the league over here!
                            1,000 pages... Jeez. That's, like, War and Peace...(smiley thing). Is there a 'quick guide' somewhere...page 500 maybe?

Comment

Claudio is old news

On your team's page, one of the options is Discussions, and one of the drop down options is Forum. On there, Kevchenko has given a beginners guide. https://www.xperteleven.com/viewLeagueMessageN.aspx?threadID=7996125&read=1&Ln r=0&dh=2

Comment

Claudio is old news

Heh, just ask any questions you have and we'll try to point you in the right direction, either by explaining on the spot or referring m'learned friend to our previous responses upthread somewhere.

The first place to look may be in the 'Forum' within the league itself in Xpert Eleven (found under the 'Discussions' dropdown menu near the top of the page when you're looking at your team), where there's a vastly shorter thread – seven posts! – in which we've collated a few useful basics to help get you started.

Great name by the way, Four Candles. Best of luck with them, and a very warm welcome.

Comment

Claudio is old news

Bugger, that'll teach me to refresh the page before I type a response.

What Etienne said, then.

Comment

Claudio is old news

jdsx wrote: 1,000 pages... Jeez. That's, like, War and Peace...
                                    Oh no...it's far more important than that...

Welcome aboard jdsx.

Comment

Claudio is old news

Welcome aboard jdsx and up_the_dale, you've truly made my day.

Comment

Claudio is old news

Thanks for the welcome guys (and/or guyesses obvs). Looking forward to it...it all seems a bit daunting, but I hit lucky in my Champions League iTeam tonight (Benfica goalie/defense plus di Maria), so full of confidence going into the new season and all that....

Comment

Claudio is old news

Welcome jdsx and UTD/VGG.

There are also some game basics under Help/Rules in the black menu at the very top of the page.

Comment

Claudio is old news

Some help for the new members (as some of the terminology in the main thread can be baffling).

Referees - for each match a ref will have an (S*, H*) setting. These stand for Skill and Harshness. A highly skilled referee will be good for your team if you have offsides set. A highly numbered H number will mean that the ref will clamp down on any aggression and cheating. For example, an S9, H9 ref will be good at picking up those offsides, but will pick up on any aggression and cheating going on. Its therefore a good idea to have these set as careful and off for this ref. However an S2, H2 ref won't be any good for offsides, but will let you get away with some dubious tactics. However, playing bruise aggression can sometimes lead to injury to your own players, as well as possibly to the opposition.

If anyone else wants to help with some basic stuff for the new chaps (player ratings, substitutions, skills, training - one for Sits that), then I hope they can be added to.

Comment

Claudio is old news

Training, always bloody training.

Comment

Claudio is old news

We could really do with another new team. Come on, give it a go.

Comment

Claudio is old news

I will give until the end of the day tomorrow for any more new managers, or any applications for the vacant positions.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X