• Show
Clear All

I'll take that as a no.

Comment

At least now you know where to go if you ever want to pluck your eyes out

Comment

We already have Ray hudson for that.

Comment

I just google skip bayless and the first article is entitled What if we all stopped indulging skip bayless.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            At least now you know where to go if you ever want to pluck your eyes out
            But then you will miss the hilarious Shannon Sharpe who despite sounding like an American Frank Bruno, can be quite inciteful.
            His one liners and quotes from his granny are comedy gold.

Comment

Yet another proud black man forced to carry an incompetent white colleague who makes five times as much money.

What is wrong with America, example 63,285

Comment

financial times profile of Raheem Sterling

Comment

Thanks but not paying to view.

Comment

Copy the title of the article and stick it into google, and you will be able to click through to the story. You've probably read a lot of it before in a couple of different articles. The most interesting new snippet part of the story is that he was a man utd fan

Comment

Jadon Sancho was a boyhood Chelsea fan.

Come home, Jadon.

Comment

Beardsley banned for seven months:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...acist-language

My hypothesis (not in any way an excuse or mitigation) is that he was recycling behaviour that was 'normal' when he was a player, as documented by Dave Hill at Liverpool.

Comment

How does 32 weeks = 7 months?

Comment

Just shorthand for "for the rest of the season", I assume

Comment

Beardsley's inability to admit wrongdoing is really damning.

Comment

Plus the awful supposition that the allegations were only made by players with a grievance on account of their not getting picked.

Still, speaking selfishly, it's a bit easier to carry on the process of cutting myself off from the club I support(ed), to see put down in black-and-white (no) how much of an absolute shitehawk my favourite ever player actually is. What an arsehole.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                  Just shorthand for "for the rest of the season", I assume
                                  But that would be wrong as well because it runs out at the end of April and the Premier League goes on into May.

The ban starts in (late) September and runs until 29 April. Part of September is included in the ban so that means he is banned in 8 months (or parts thereof), plus 32 weeks divided by 4 is 8, so "7 months" is just wholly wrong.

This is in no way the point or important but talk about minimising punishments - let's make it sound shorter than it is. When it's already short.

Comment

Originally posted by beak View Post
                                    Still, speaking selfishly, it's a bit easier to carry on the process of cutting myself off from the club I support(ed), to see put down in black-and-white (no) how much of an absolute shitehawk my favourite ever player actually is. What an arsehole
                                    This is so grim. I really liked peter Beardsley as a player, regardless of who he was playing for, so it must be ten times worse for a Newcastle fan. In a very real sense, I'm sorry for your loss. We've had to deal with the troubles of Paul mcGrath over here, so we had to come to terms with our heroes being......complicated a long time ago. Also by 1996, it was abundantly clear what an utter mess Bryan Robson was, so already I was starting to have doubts about some of the people that had been in the huge Shoot posters on my wall. This Beardsley case comes out soon enough after the Kevin mcDonald bullying case at aston villa. What beardsley did is just so shitty, but it would only be a chapter in the complaints against mcDonald. Steve Staunton appointed him as his assistant at Ireland, at the peak of all of this horrific bullying. Imagine what it must have been like for Gareth Farrelly, who was one of the chief witnesses against mcDonald. to see this guy appointed as assistant manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      32 weeks divided by 4 is 8, so "7 months" is just wholly wrong.
                                      The average month is not four weeks long. It is four and a bit, or in terms of days 30.5 in a leap year, which is the relevant number as the ban includes February 2020.

32 x 7 / 30.5 = 7.34 months. Or 7 months rounded to the nearest whole month. 'Wholly wrong' is, well, wholly wrong given the number stated is mathematically correct. 8 months is less accurate as an answer.

Comment

Thoroughly depressing. Possibly Carlisle's greatest ever player, and one I have very fond memories of. He married a lass from the ticket office iirc, and still comes back to watch games. Not sure I can even listen to the spoof Beardsley on Atletico Mince now...

Comment

Thank fuck my favourite player is Eric Cantona.

Comment

And that mine is John Terry.

What?

Comment

To go back to the Jesse Lingard, and Marcus Rashford nonsense highlighted on the previous page, I saw that Neil Custis had an article about sources inside Man utd being worried that Jesse lingard's ventures into clothing design were distracting him from his football, and were also leading marcus rashford astray, and that both had been dragged over the coals by a manager who seems to be made entirely out of angry gammon if these Neil Custis articles are anything to go by. There was another similar one about the manager laying down the law to Paul Pogba and marcus Rashford over penalties, which made it a bit awkward when solksjaer said that it was still up to them.

I'm just not sure that you would be getting these articles about white players. All this stuff about rashford is particularly weird. on the one hand we're supposed to think that man utd are worried that he's losing focus, and is in danger of being infected by the bad influence of lingard and pogba, yet on the other hand, Rashford is the one that they send out to do the post match interviews. He stands there regardless of the result and answers the half questions shoved his way by Geoff Shreeves, with patience, fluency and a degree of thought. He sounds like a serious earnest young man, and essentially sounds like his manager's voice. to be honest, compared to the increasingly unhinged behaviour of the class of 92, he seems a lot more like a GAA player, rather than a professional footballer.

Speaking of the class of 92, there's a charlie Savage, and a harvey neville and a charlie wellens in the man utd academy. Never forget that Robbie Savage is part of the class of 92.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                                The average month is not four weeks long. It is four and a bit, or in terms of days 30.5 in a leap year, which is the relevant number as the ban includes February 2020.

32 x 7 / 30.5 = 7.34 months. Or 7 months rounded to the nearest whole month. 'Wholly wrong' is, well, wholly wrong given the number stated is mathematically correct. 8 months is less accurate as an answer.
                                                OK not "wholly wrong". Just inaccurate. Why not say until the end of April or use the actual length of term instead of rounding it down which makes the ban seem shorter than it is?

Comment

Interesting article about Beardsley.

I didn't know about the previous bullying complaint, or that he had been promoted sideways from youth coaching. It would seem that these particular racist incidents were just part of a general pattern of behaviour that could best be described as being a general nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

OK not "wholly wrong". Just inaccurate. Why not say until the end of April or use the actual length of term instead of rounding it down which makes the ban seem shorter than it is?
                                                    I would go with imprecise rather than inaccurate. Inaccurate implies wrong. And 7 months is not wrong to the level of granularity used. The opposite, it's actually right.

Why round to the nearest month rather than saying 7 months and 10 days, or somewhat over 7 months, or to the end of April, or indeed 32 weeks?
                                                    Well, you would have to ask the journalist involved why they make certain style decisions. But regarding the imprecision, sometimes clarity of conveying the overall concept is felt to be better served by brevity than exactitude.
                                                    What of the other formulations than months which could convey the scale? 'End of April' works OK now, but if someone is accessing this story in months or years time, which they well might be, then it gives no sense of the length without searching for the publication date and calculating. And why not weeks, that being the actual terms the ban was set by? In that case, I can see a decent reason - we have a unit which is better sized to the overall length of time involved. We (or most) have an instinctive 'feel' for how long a week is, and a month, a year, etc. However multiplying these and things start losing their intuitive sense. 32 units of something is more of a conceptual leap to appreciate the overall scale of than 7 units. So one chooses the appropriately sized measuring stick. And then rounds up or down as the case may be.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X