A Design For Strife - Kit Gallery 2017/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I remind everyone of the house rules please?

It's first and change kits not "home and away".

Thanking you.

Comment

What do we say if we're discussing Portsmouth's navy 2003-05 kit? It was worn in every away game unless of course the hosts wore blue, in which case Pompey wore white.

Comment

First-and-a-half?

Comment

It's still the first kit.

And thanks for re-posting the images, Rev. Those Zambia kits are indeed stunners.

Comment

denishurley wrote: What do we say if we're discussing Portsmouth's navy 2003-05 kit? It was worn in every away game unless of course the hosts wore blue, in which case Pompey wore white.
            It's a change kit, just one that Portsmouth acted utterly repugnantly in their use of.

Comment

Sampdoria, rather pleasant as far as I'm concerned. Cannot remember many poor kits from them.

Comment

Have they moved the badge to the sleeve to accommodate another symbol/logo?

Comment

Yes, what the hell? It was going quite nicely up to that point, too – gorgeous blue, decent striping, though I can always do without polo collars. But severely dicking around with the club badge like that... just no.

Count me in as yet another fan of those new Zambia kits. Cor. What a couple of stonkers, magnificent work. They've somehow even pulled off fade-out stripes with style, which must surely be some kind of dark magic.

Comment

Thought they'd done the moving the badge thing before, and a quick google shows a few kits that have it on the sleeve.

Doing the search has reminded me that I generally love Sampdoria shirts.

Comment

Oh, OK then. I'll let them off slightly for having done it before, especially since the rest of the design is kept so intact.

Comment

Just because they have moved their badge before for a sponsors' logo doesn't make it alright.

Comment

Comment

I recalled them moving the badge before for the Coppa Italia winners roundel as per one of the photos above but that or anything like it doesn't apply this season, does it?

Comment

You guys need to calm down.

Next year's kit features Samp's original and traditional badge, which is based on that of the city of Genova

The "Baciccia" (old sailor w/pipe) badge only came into being in 1981, and is therefore only now approaching the age of the original (recall that Samp was formed through the post-WWII merger of Sampierdarenese and Andrea Doria) . Given that (as illustrated above), the club regularly features the traditional badge in the pride of place on its kits, it has appeared there rather more often than the Baciccia during the club's history.

Comment

I really don't want to talk about it

Comment

I thought I saw that a few weeks ago, didn't I post it up?

I am of the firm opinion that kits which try and mix significant amounts of red & blue equally are almost always rubbish but even given that it's a terrible example.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: You guys need to calm down.

Next year's kit features Samp's original and traditional badge, which is based on that of the city of Genova

The "Baciccia" (old sailor w/pipe) badge only came into being in 1981, and is therefore only now approaching the age of the original (recall that Samp was formed through the post-WWII merger of Sampierdarenese and Andrea Doria) . Given that (as illustrated above), the club regularly features the traditional badge in the pride of place on its kits, it has appeared there rather more often than the Baciccia during the club's history.
                                    I had no great problem with the badge being on the sleeve but just wondered why it was.

Now I know the shirt has two badges I think I object to that more. Too busy.

Comment

Talking of busy, why does every fucking team decide to embroider an essay in to their shirt for a significant game now? STOP IT!

Arsenal's is slightly more acceptable but still too much :

Comment

Ray is to kit analysis on this board as the Wahhabists are to Islam.

On Barcelona, the kit was formally announced today. It is quite similar to, though not identical with, a number of "leaks" from the usual suspects.

Commemorative text on Cup Final and similar kits strikes me as a strange hill to die on (especially for one who considers sponsors' logos an integral part of contemporary kits), but YMMV.

Do you feel the same way about flags?

Comment

I suppose it has been discussed on one or several of these threads over the years, as I have been wonderintg for a long time about why so many shirts no longer have stripes on the back. Is this some paricularly silly FIFA directive or has Adidas just given the worst kit designer in history a free reign? Seemingly there is no world wide ban as Barcelona played the Cup Final on Saturday in a properly striped shirt. So why is it that all these other clubs play with this dreadful shirt design,?

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Ray is to kit analysis on this board as the Wahhabists are to Islam.

On Barcelona, the kit was formally announced today. It is quite similar to, though not identical with, a number of "leaks" from the usual suspects.

Commemorative text on Cup Final and similar kits strikes me as a strange hill to die on (especially for one who considers sponsors' logos an integral part of contemporary kits), but YMMV.

Do you feel the same way about flags?

As with the Arsenal example above, I'd prefer an icon rather than a load of text (and, of course, I love flags) but I'm not really sure that I wouldn't rather none of it. I know there's an internal logical inconsistency with my stance on sponsor-free club shirts but in an era when 99% of teams have them I find the absence unsettling.

I'm no theologian, is that Wahabbist comparison a bad thing?

Comment

One of the main facets of Wahhabism is that they believe that anyone who doesn't practise their particular brand of faith is a heathen. I'll leave the rest to you.

Comment

I was thinking that, while commemorative shirt embroidery has been with us for a while, Ray is right that it seems busier so I checked back how they did it previously.

Some old ones didn't work at all of course .

Comment

3 Colours Red wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by denishurley
                                                  Does the [strike]Charlton[/strike] Wrexham shirt have white side panels?

Identical to Shelbourne's otherwise:

Here's the link because posting a pic is seemingly beyond me
                                                  Yes. Yes, it does. I mean, there's template jobs and then there's just sheer abject laziness. Thinking at Macron HQ must be along the lines of "Well... it's red, isn't it? What more d'you want?"
                                                  Hmmmm...

Comment

Going back to away kits being a reversal of the home kit, here's St Johnstone.

Also going full on retro with pinstripes and a local car dealer as a sponsor. Classy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X