Bad news from South America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am just seeing this thread now after receiving an email from a friend. This is obviously brutal news. I feel for the families of those who died in this crash.

Comment

Clubs in Brazil have petitioned the CBF to protect Chapecoense from relegation for three years, and have announced none of them will charge Chapecoense fees if Chape want to take any players on loan for the 2017 season.

Comment

Fuck, I've just now seen some of the selfies that the players took on the plane before taking off. Those really got me.

Comment

Great solidarity from both Atletico Nacional and, so far, nearly all the big Brazilian clubs with their offer of free loans and three years' immunity from relegation.

Reed - the correct pronunciation is Shap-ay-co-en-say with the stress on the second last syllable (sorry, Sam).

Comment

PSG have informed FIFA they will donate €40m to the club, according to one site I saw.

Comment

Rob Harris has just tweeted that a PSG spokesman says the club are unaware of any such donation.

And no worries, cantagalo - I was going with what I thought I heard on the videos, but my ear isn't as well tuned to Portuguese as to Spanish!

A bunch of Argentine clubs have announced they'll loan players to Chapecoense for the 2017 season if any are wanted, and Racing (who are among those clubs) have confirmed they'll have a homage to Chapecoense in the form of a black Chape badge on their shirts at their next league game.

Comment

Sam wrote: Rob Harris has just tweeted that a PSG spokesman says the club are unaware of any such donation.
                That's not good. (The attempt to embarrass PSG and make some kind of capital out of this tragedy, assuming it's a fake story.)

Comment

Indeed. Either PSG feel pressured into actually making such a donation, or they don't and some idiots will say they're being cunts as a result.

I have seen claims that Atlético Nacional have asked CONMEBOL to distribute the prize money which would have gone to the winning team (about US$2m) among the families of the victims. It wasn't included in the statement in which they said the trophy should be given to Chapecoense, though.

Comment

This is Danilo's last-second save against San Lorenzo which got Chape to the final.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-nx9aWYypDk

The commentary is by Deva Pascovicci who was also on the flight.

Comment

According to folk nearby, some of whom are heading to the UK Coaching Awards, the Wembley arch has been lit up green in commemoration.

Comment

I really like their shirts.

Comment

And Martín Mazur (El Gráfico here in Argentina and FourFourTwo in the UK) has just tweeted that a doctor has confirmed Jackson Follman has had a leg amputation.

I thought I was well accustomed to hearing about football-related deaths, having been writing about Argentine football for ten years now. Turns out I was wrong, I'm struggling to process all this.

2016 really has been something else. It can't end soon enough.

Comment

I can't recall a worse year.

This has happened many more times than I knew of.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/world/americas/plane-crashes-sports-teams.html?ribbon-ad-idx=9&rref=world/americas&module=Ribbon&version=context&region=Head er&action=click&contentCollection=Americas&pgtype= article

Comment

The surviving flight attendant told rescuers the plane had run out of fuel, and the cleanup operation reported no evidence of fuel among the wreckage.

The distance between the airports of Santa Cruz de la Sierra and Medellín is a little bit greater than the aeroplane's maximum range.

Comment

It's hard to understand how something like that is allowed to happen.

Comment

Well, we're talking small operators in South America.

Briefly, the club wanted to fly from São Paulo, but were told by Brazilian authorities that that would only be possible if they chartered a flight from a Brazilian or Colombian airline. They elected to keep LAMIA, who they'd flown with before, and that necessitated going via Santa Cruz de la Sierra in Bolivia.

Then, the owner (or one of the owners) of LAMIA... was apparently the same guy who was flying the plane. So he wasn't going to get any shit from the bosses because he was the boss. Apparently LAMIA had twelve employees when the flight took off.

Comment

The CBF have announced seven days of mourning, meaning that the return leg of the Copa do Brasil final, the final of the Under-20 Copa do Brasil, and the last round of Série A matches will all be put back a week.

Comment

It is possible that the pilot jettisoned any remaining fuel once he realised they were going down. Doing so reduces the chance of a fire on impact, and has been demonstrated to save lives in other disasters.

Comment

Thanks ursus. Still, is taking a flight beyond the plane's maximum operating range (even if only by a handful of nautical miles) a justifiable decision?

Fox Sports in Argentina are reporting that Barcelona and Real Madrid have agreed to donate the entire gate from this weekend's clásico to Chapecoense.

Comment

I wasn't trying to defend the out of range decision, which was reckless, especially given the terrain around Medellin. That said, many range estimates purposely include a margin of safety (rather like the indicator for your car's petrol tank). It will take months before we know exactly what happened.

Although there have been multiple expressions of sympathy and solidarity from the club and its players in response to the tragedy, there is no official announcement from Barcelona (in Catalan or Spanish) as to that donation (given that the match is in BCN, FCB would have to take the lead).

Comment

No indeed, and I did check their Twitter account. For Fox to go with it suggests to me that they've got a source, but so much stuff is getting bandied about right now. I didn't believe the Wembley thing until I saw a photo tweeted by a guy who said he was there, heading to the awards. (Bizarrely, the official Wembley account and the FA haven't tweeted anything about it, even though practically every other football-connected person on the planet appears to have done.)

Comment

The Colombian director of Civil Aviation said that the pilot had reported an electrical fault to the control tower at the airport.

The black boxes have been found so presumably we will know what happened in due course.

Comment

Barcelona's Catalán account just tweeted the minutes of the board meeting they had today, in which they extend their sympathies to Chapecoense but make no mention of this agreement (or, from what I can see, of the clásico, so it's probably safe to say that's also bollocks now. What is it with people making this stuff up? Do they want everyone to think their club is better than yours, or do they hope to pressure the club into actually doing it? It's very odd.

(In a completely unrelated note, I also find it odd that the 'default' account (i.e. the one without a language abbreviation on the end of it) for Barcelona on Twitter is in English, rather than Spanish or Catalán. Given the Spanish and Catalán versions have a lot more of the institutional stuff on them, it's a bit annoying when you do a search for the handle and just click on the first one that shows up.)

Comment

Nike, the Qataris, Rakuten, Beko, Turkish Airlines, etc., don't read either Spanish or Catalan, I'm afraid.

Comment

Of the football-related crashes, the one I didn't know was the Alianza Lima crash. They are (and were), like UTD, a big side (one of the top two in Peru). Torino were also a top side but never seemed to recover. Chapecoense seem to be in a much tougher spot since this is not a traditional giant in Brazil, although they've had recent success in Copa Sudamericana.

The info that Sam reports about the flight itself is fascinating. My first assumption when I read the details in this thread, I assumed that this was another case of some company putting profit over safety. But when the boss is flying the plane and risking his own life, that make for a very complicated scenario. I haven't been to South America but read enough about Bolivia that there seems to be a general risk linked to travel given the insanely winding mountain roads.

The news coverage seems to reflect the worst of what is happening right now: being first to a story is more important than being accurate (i.e., reports about PSG, reports about donations and loanees). To loop this last point back to the first point, it does seem that perhaps a global outreach would put this side back at a solid level of play, but, of course, none of that helps with the emotional scars which I assume affected other teams who have suffered from the same type of loss.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X