Bad news from South America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC reporting that a plane with Chapocoense team on route to Medellin has crashed:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-38140981?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Ah, just posted this on the Sudamericana thread before spotting this one. Cross-posted paragraph:

Lots of contradictory stuff flying about on Twitter and South American news channels at the moment, but the latest I've just seen is that apparently Colombian radio stations are reporting no deaths, and survivors are already arriving at a hospital/hospitals nearby.

Comment

This is terrible.

72 passengers, including the entire Chapecoense delegation and 9 crew on board. It's crashed in an inaccessible, mountainous region 45 km from Medellín. There are now TV pictures of arrivals at the hospital. Unconfirmed reports that goalkeeper Danilo and defender Alan Ruschel are among the survivors.

Edit: also reserve keeper Follmann.

Comment

The local mayor has just confirmed that there have been 'at least 25 deaths'.

Comment

Mayor of the closest town expects 25-27 dead.

This is the same plane that Argentina were on a couple weeks ago. Pilots reported electrical problems and may have also run out of fuel.

Comment

Hopefully they've been misinformed but the BBC are saying that there are only six survivors out of the 81 souls on the plane.

Now updated to 25 dead and six survivors with the condition of the others presumably unknown at this time.

Awful.

Comment

There is live coverage of the tragedy on Globo. The presenters are aware that several of their journalist colleagues were on the flight.

Comment

It looks like 76 dead and 5 survivors.

Just horrible. Words fail me.

Comment

I'll echo that Cantaglo.

Though some small crumb of comfort in seeing people being confirmed as having survived.

Comment

Unconfirmed news that defender Neto may also have survived.

Comment

76 now confirmed as having perished.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-38140981

There are no words.

Comment

Live pictures of Neto arriving at the hospital in an ambulance.

So that makes 74 dead and 7 survivors.

Comment

Oh God.

Reports that goalkeeper Danilo, hero of the semi-final against San Lorenzo, has died in hospital.

Comment

I imagine I'm not the only one who went to the semifinal video on YouTube and struggled with the fact that one week later most of the players in green are no longer.

Comment

This is almost too horrible to believe.

On the eve of the most significant matches in the club's history, them having already achieved more than any of their predecessors.

Comment

Neto in a 'critical situation'.

Alan Ruschel has been transferred to another hospital. He has serious injuries to his spinal column.

Comment

Awful news. Chapecoense's surprising run to the final had been one of the stories of the season, too.

Comment

Atletico Nacional have asked CONMEBOL to award the trophy to Chapecoense

Comment

Decent gesture. Playing the final would be a total anticlimax.

Sadly, we have our generation's own Munich/Superga.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Atletico Nacional have asked CONMEBOL to award the trophy to Chapecoense
                                        And presumably Chapecoense will have a place in next year's Libertadores - though how they could possibly be ready to compete in a couple of months, I have no idea.

The CBF have postponed tomorrow's Copa do Brasil final and put back next Sunday's final round of the Brasileiro until December 11th. I would hope they have the good sense to just cancel Chape's final game against Atlético Mineiro.

Comment

The son of manager Caio Júnior did not get on the plane as he'd forgotten his passport.

Comment

As if this could get any worse, there are reports that one of the six survivors, reserve keeper Jackson Follmann, has had a leg amputated.

Comment

It's rather meaningless in the circumstances, but I would hope that the Brazilian FA look at what the Russian ice hockey league did in the wake of the crash that wiped out the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl club.

They were protected against relegation, had their reserve team strengthened, and then took their place in the top flight back after a year of not playing at that level. They have made the playoffs every season since the disaster.

Comment

Not really the most important thing, but can anyone tell me how to pronounce Chapecoense? I may need to discuss this with some people. The least thing I can do is get their name right.

Comment

From watching a few videos on Globo's website earlier in the year as research for a few match previews, Reed, it's something like 'Shap-ee-co-ens', with the stress falling on the last syllable.

Obviously this is wall-to-wall on the South American sports channel news shows I generally spend the afternoon with. I can't believe it - the only reason I got to sleep last night was those reports I mentioned about no deaths having been confirmed after all and survivors arriving in hospitals.

Benfica have apparently offered to loan players to Chape, I've seen reports that Real Madrid have offered help including fundraising friendlies, and there are no doubt going to be other gestures from small (River Plate have changed the River badge on their Twitter profile for a black Chapecoense one) to the large.

Apparently newly-crowned Brazilian champions Palmeiras have asked the CBF whether they can wear Chapecoense shirts in their final league match.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X