X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Bad news from South America

I would suggest that Occam would have a likely answer to that question.

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied

This may turn out to be baseless speculation but I would be asking just why a tiny Bolivian company seems to have been the preferred carrier for so many South American teams.

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied

cantagalo wrote: The Inter players led by Alex have 'clarified' their position.

They reiterated their unwillingness to play the final game, even if it means having to accept relegation. However, if ordered to play by the CBF, they would do so. They also supported the right of the club to continue the legal action to get points deducted from Vitória.
    The question will be if the players who say they shouldn't play, which is understandable, will stick around next season when Internacional are in Serie B. As much as I dislike cheating Juve, I did admire the players who stayed with the side when they were dropped to Serie B after the scandal. Of course, those players were likely still paid the same salary but most top quality players aren't wanting to play in the second division.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied

Sam wrote: In ongoing homage news, on top of every club in Argentina wearing black armbands and Primera clubs wearing a black Chapecoense badge with ribbon motif on their shirts this weekend, River Plate have announced they'll wear a one-off kit with a green shirt and green shorts in their match, and (and I fear this might be the moment this weekend that tips me over the edge) San Lorenzo will run out for their game wearing the shirts they got from the Chapecoense squad in the post-match shirt swaps following the semi-final second leg.
    A small gesture but some Wimbledon supporters suggested the team wear their two-tone green third kit for their televised cup tie at Curzon Ashton on Sunday rather than the planned yellow change kit. The club agreed with the suggestion and the FA have endorsed the switch.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied

Argentina's Radio La Red have broadcast a recording in which the Argentine transport minister privately tells someone that when the Argentine national team took the plane to Belo Horizonte for their game against Brazil a few weeks ago, it touched down with only 15 minutes of fuel left in the tank. In case anyone's missed it being mentioned further up the thread/elsewhere, this is the same plane that crashed on Monday night.

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied

The Inter players led by Alex have 'clarified' their position.

They reiterated their unwillingness to play the final game, even if it means having to accept relegation. However, if ordered to play by the CBF, they would do so. They also supported the right of the club to continue the legal action to get points deducted from Vitória.

The actions of the club have met with an extremely hostile reaction in Brazil. Even if they hadn't been scheming in the wake of Brazil's worst ever football tragedy, there is widespread revulsion at big clubs attempting to avoid relegation in the courtroom, the most recent being Fluminense in 2013.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied

cantagalo wrote: The future of the final round of the Brasileiro is now threatened by players who are organising a campaign to have it cancelled.

This would be quite understandable but there remains the question of the final relegation place. Prominent in the campaign are players from Internacional who are currently in 17th place and favourites to be relegated for the first time in their history. Players from Palmeiras, who are due to play at another relegation-threatened team Vitória, have also said they do not want to play.

I could go along with this if the current league positions were maintained i.e. Inter would be relegated, but they have not consented to this. They have already lodged an appeal with the STJD to deduct points from Vitória on what look like the very spurious grounds that Vitória fielded an illegible player. This could end very messily.

A cynical observer might conclude that Inter could be using the tragedy to create grounds for a further appeal.
    If I were in charge of the CBF, I'd have announced Inter's relegation on Tuesday after their cunt of a president came out with that line about how yes it's very sad what's happened to Chapecoense, but can't everyone see that Inter are facing the possibility of their own club tragedy - by which he meant relegation.

Regarding whether LaMia continue to exist or not, I've seen reports saying the pilot was a co-owner or partner, rather than sole owner of the company, so they presumably are still in business. Although hopefully for not much longer.

Boca Juniors have become (as far as I'm aware) the first club to announce they'll no longer use charter flights to get to matches.

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied

They have different criteria for qualifying. In general Sudamericana places go to sides finishing lower in the table than those that enter Libretadores. However sides right at the top of the table can get into both (in most countries).

In Atletico Nacional's case they qualified for each tournament on different (but connected) grounds. They qualified for the Libretadores as champions of the 2015 Finalizacion (the second of the two league competitions in Colombia each year). Their Sudamericana qualification was as winners of the 2016 Superliga (a two legged playoff between the winners of the Apertura and Finalizacion).

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied

Southport Zeb wrote: Until this year the Copa Libretadores has been played in the first half (roughly) of the year, while the Copa Sudamericana has been played in the second half. From next year both competitions will be held concurrently so a team won't be able to win both (a few teams will still get to play in both as some sides eliminated from the Libretadores will get dropped into the Sudamericana).
    Interesting.
    If that's the case then how do they not just end up with the same field of teams, and in that case, what's the point?

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied

The future of the final round of the Brasileiro is now threatened by players who are organising a campaign to have it cancelled.

This would be quite understandable but there remains the question of the final relegation place. Prominent in the campaign are players from Internacional who are currently in 17th place and favourites to be relegated for the first time in their history. Players from Palmeiras, who are due to play at another relegation-threatened team Vitória, have also said they do not want to play.

I could go along with this if the current league positions were maintained i.e. Inter would be relegated, but they have not consented to this. They have already lodged an appeal with the STJD to deduct points from Vitória on what look like the very spurious grounds that Vitória fielded an illegible player. This could end very messily.

A cynical observer might conclude that Inter could be using the tragedy to create grounds for a further appeal.

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied

Until this year the Copa Libretadores has been played in the first half (roughly) of the year, while the Copa Sudamericana has been played in the second half. From next year both competitions will be held concurrently so a team won't be able to win both (a few teams will still get to play in both as some sides eliminated from the Libretadores will get dropped into the Sudamericana).

In the early years of European competition it was possible to enter more than one competition but that got tidied up fairly quickly (it was a time when the predecessor of the Europa League took three years to finish as ties were timed to coincide with trade fairs).

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied

Hot Pepsi wrote: So AN had a chance to win both the Copa Sudamerica and Copa Liberatores? Isn't that like winning both the Europa Cup and Champions League? How do they have time to be in both?
    Unlike the CL and EL, the Libertadores and Sudamericana do not run at the same time. One runs for 6 months (roughly) at the beginning of the calendar year and the other runs during the second 6 months (roughly). This will change going forward to match the way the CL and EL work, so teams won't be able to win both competitions, although teams dumped from the Libertadores will land in the Sudamericana. The competitions, last I read, will run (again, roughly) during the 12 month calendar, which is still a mess in terms of transfers.

Back to the flight. It seems insane to me that making the trip faster has anything to do with fuel. Yes, miles/KM per hour can have some minor affect on fuel economy but in general the fuel consumption isn't going to change. And I find it ironic that CONMEBOL has suspended dealings with this company when the company owner was flying the plane and died in the crash. It seems to me that there is no longer a company with which to contract given these situations.

To follow up on Cantagalo's point about connections among players, I've been watching the past few rounds of the Brasilian Serie A during the past few weeks and the commentary about each player and coach is rarely short when it comes to resume: he played for team a, b, c, d, and e (in Brazil alone) plus team x, y, and z in some combination of European nations, Middle Eastern leagues, and maybe China. There is very little stability for players and coaches who are not in the upper echelon of elite status (e.g., Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Kaka, etc.).

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied

So AN had a chance to win both the Copa Sudamerica and Copa Liberatores? Isn't that like winning both the Europa Cup and Champions League? How do they have time to be in both?

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied

Fucking hell. Once more for the encore: death was too good for him.

One statement CONMEBOL have released is a reiteration that their activities are currently suspended until further notice. They've had to release this because some utter bellend started a rumour that they were going to insist that the final actually be played. Whether they award the trophy to either team or not, I think it's probably a safe assumption that that is one thing that's never going to happen.

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied

cantagalo wrote: DGAC, the Bolivian civil aviation authority, has suspended LaMia, accusing them of flying without following safety protocols.

The pilot was questioned before the flight by an employee of the national aviation agency about the adequacy of the flight plan. Apparently, planes should have a minimum of 45 minutes of spare fuel in case of emergencies. Why this advice was ignored is unclear.
    More news is emerging about this.

The employee, Celia Castedo Monastério, questioned the pilot about the flight plan pointing out that the fuel capacity was exactly the same as the length of the flight and that this was unsafe. The pilot responded by telling her not to worry and that he'd do the flight in less time.

She did not have the authority to prevent the flight from going ahead.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied

evilC wrote:
    Originally posted by Nefertiti2
    Interview with Arsenal's Gabriel after yesterday's game. I guess all Brazilian footballers are affected like this.
    And Wenger played him when he was in a state like that? Christ! He's even further removed from rational thought than I believed!
    Your persistent digs about Wenger are very tiresome- on this thread they are also singularly inappropriate.

I imagine it was Gabriel 's choice to play -in part as a way of paying his respects .

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied

Sorry - should have qualified it by saying 'Globo have reported that.....'

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied

cantagalo wrote: Conmebol have officially awarded the Copa Sudamericana title and a place in next year's Libertadores to Chapecoense.
    Have they? There's nothing on their website about it.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied

A Chapecoense spokesman has denied that the club were forced by CONMEBOL to contract LaMia, saying the club chose the airline themselves.

Globo are reporting that CONMEBOL have taken the decision (though it's not been announced yet) to award the 2016 Copa Sudamericana to Chapecoense. With that title, Chape would take part in next year's Copa Libertadores, and in next year's Recopa Sudamericana, in which they'd be playing against the winners of this year's Copa Libertadores... Atlético Nacional.

Criminy, those are going to be two emotional matches.

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied

Conmebol have officially awarded the Copa Sudamericana title and a place in next year's Libertadores to Chapecoense.

They will also play in the Recopa - against Atlético Nacional.

Leave a comment:

• evilC
    replied

Nefertiti2 wrote: Interview with Arsenal's Gabriel after yesterday's game. I guess all Brazilian footballers are affected like this.
    And Wenger played him when he was in a state like that? Christ! He's even further removed from rational thought than I believed!

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied

In ongoing homage news, on top of every club in Argentina wearing black armbands and Primera clubs wearing a black Chapecoense badge with ribbon motif on their shirts this weekend, River Plate have announced they'll wear a one-off kit with a green shirt and green shorts in their match, and (and I fear this might be the moment this weekend that tips me over the edge) San Lorenzo will run out for their game wearing the shirts they got from the Chapecoense squad in the post-match shirt swaps following the semi-final second leg.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied

Not only Brazilians. To pick an entirely random example with which I happen to be familiar, Manchester United's first and second choice goalkeepers could both be forgiven for needing a few minutes when they heard about it: David De Gea used to share a locker with one of the victims at Atlético de Madrid, and Sergio Romero was on that same plane (along with the rest of the Argentina squad) just a couple of weeks before it crashed, travelling to the World Cup qualifier against Brazil.

Hell, my girlfriend and I are only at two removes from some of the victims: one of her colleagues is a Brazilian who used to work in TV production and knew (in passing) a few of the journalists, while another of them used to present a TV show in Brazil with Tim Vickery. It's a remarkably small world, at times.

That's not intended to undermine your point though, Nef. From my vantage point it's being treated as a continental tragedy, and it's by far the biggest example I've seen of South American solidarity since I came here (the reaction has been some distance more wall-to-wall even than it was when Fidel Castro died), but it's clear that in Brazil it's run even deeper. I doubt there's a single person connected with Brazilian football who hasn't been entirely preoccupied with it in the last few days, the president of the CBF apart...

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied

Yes, Gabriel was at Vitória with Caio Júnior in 2013 just before he moved to Villarreal. And you're correct - in a country where managers and players move around so rapidly, I would imagine that most Brazilian professional players have a personal connection with someone on that plane.

Caio Júnior is a case in point. He had a reputation as a journeyman manager - 20 clubs in 15 years. However, he always seemed to have something about him. He was quietly intelligent and highly regarded within the game but, as is the norm in Brazil, never given long enough to show what he could really do. It seemed that he had finally found his niche at Chapecoense.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied

Interview with Arsenal's Gabriel after yesterday's game. I guess all Brazilian footballers are affected like this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X