"The Press"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Press"

Now, I'm all in favour of the modern fashion of more positive play, the high line, keeping the opposition under the cosh and all that. But it seems that since coaches like Klopp talked about their "pressing game" or gegenpressen, no one mentions "pressure" any more.

Everyone talks about "the press" now. Isn't it possible simply to "put your opponent under pressure" any more?

#irrationalrant

"The Press"

The game is about
    Being effective
    Being aggressive
    Winning the ball
    Getting on with the play
    We'll Put 'em Under Pressure

Comment

"The Press"

Yeah, bollocks to the press. Bring back 'getting right up their arses'.

Comment

"The Press"

Has the pressing game actually succeeded anywhere, yet, though? Liverpool are beginning to get results, but Man United showed how easy it is to stifle their game if you just tell your keeper to kick the ball 900 yards up in the air every time it rolls through to him.

I read someone who described Leicester, last season, as a "pressing" team but that's nonsense - Leicester were a well-drilled back eight unit who hit teams on the break. If anything, the antithesis of pressing from the front. Portugal, at the Euros, were hardly expansive going forward either. I wonder if there's any proof that Klopp's style is going to bloody work.

Comment

Working...
        X