Football dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football dreams

Has anyone ever done an article about football related dreams for WSC?
    I dreamt I was watching Boro play Barcelona at Ayresome park in 1974. The half time entertainment was a heavy metal band fronted by Danny deVito. David Bowie stood next to me, attempting to eat a fried egg sandwich while wearing an white suit.

I forget the score, but Danny DeVito was surprisingly good.

Paul T

Football dreams

See, these are the crumbs we get since the upgrade.Where are the roryfsmiths of yesteryear?

Comment

Football dreams

I had a recurring dream about coming on for the last five minutes of a Barnet game. It was incredibly convincing in the fact that I was blowing out of my arse inside 30 seconds and never got a sniff of the ball.

Comment

Football dreams

Around 5-6 years back, I had a very odd dream in which I'd been drafted in to present MOTD - live, and with seemingly no requirement for any kind of screen test. One or two colleagues were saying 'hmm, maybe don't do it', but I was all: 'this is an opportunity I'd be stupid to pass up, etc'. (I mean, why I was in the frame, God alone knows...)

Anyway, the titles rolled and the cameras cut to yours truly in the studio. For some reason, I froze: I could even see myself in the monitors dotted about the studio. It was most annoying, because in reality - while I'd obviously have been nowhere near as polished as yer regulars - I'd have given it a far better shot than that. I mean, I can read a bloody autocue, ffs.

Comment

Football dreams

I used to have a recurring dream in which I would turn up at Portman Road for a big game only to find that my allocated seat was in an area of the ground that afforded no view of the pitch whatsoever.

(Insert "most sought-after seats these days" gag here.)

Comment

Football dreams

I'm told there have been complaints about restricted views at the London Stadium.

Apparently there aren't enough of them.

Et, and indeed, cetera.

Comment

Football dreams

What about at Wembley?

Comment

Football dreams

The night before the 2005 Big Cup final, I basically dreamt the whole game. In the dream Liverpool won 3-1. One of the goals was a Gerrard rocket, another the keeper palming away a shot to Cisse to knock in and the last goal was a welly from Carragher from a corner.
                When I woke up and realised it wasn't real, I felt very sick indeed.

Comment

Football dreams

Jah Womble wrote: Et, and indeed, cetera.
                  [lesdawson]
                  "White Hart Lane is a great place. The only thing wrong is the seats face the pitch."
                  [/lesdawson]

Comment

Football dreams

Hot Orange wrote: I used to have a recurring dream in which I would turn up at Portman Road for a big game only to find that my allocated seat was in an area of the ground that afforded no view of the pitch whatsoever.

(Insert "most sought-after seats these days" gag here.)
                    Spookily I've had some very similar dreams, although they're not always at Portman Road, occasionally it's been The Emirates, Wembley, the Camp Nou or, for some reason, the Etihad and the situation is that the stadium is kind of "L" shaped with one stand nowhere near the pitch

In fact in some dreams the seats are actually facing the wrong way and everyone is looking over their shoulders.

Comment

Football dreams

As I mentioned before, I had that dream about visiting Commerzbank-Arena in Frankfurt despite having no idea what it looked like or what it was called or having ever been to Frankfurt and later discovered my dream of it was uncannily like the real thing.

Comment

Football dreams

Last night I was an assistant coach at Schalke 04. A player in his mid-20s claimed he wasn’t sure if he could play on Saturday because he was “a bit injured” (I get this all the time from my boys’ team). I started tearing into him - he was young and fit, who on earth did he think he was talking about withdrawing from the game. “Look at me,” I yelled. “I’m 51 years old. I’m on the squad and I’m ready to play. If you don’t play, I’ll step up.”

At this point it dawned on me that I could indeed play if the youngster stood down. I started to imagine the two goals I was going to score. Surely it would be possible if I was just in the right place at the right time, finishing off a good move. Then I imagined the German commentator’s voice for years to come: “Of course the oldest player to score in Bundesliga history is, as everyone knows, 51-year-old Scotsman Ian Plenderleith…”

Nothing after that. So it’s come to this. I’m no longer dreaming about scoring famous goals. I’m dreaming about dreaming about scoring famous goals...

Comment

Football dreams

To be fair, Jah Womble, you'd still have been more watchable than Savage or Shearer

Comment

Last night I played for Frankfurt at left-back in the German Cup Final against Hertha. We were 2-0 up at half-time. I settled down into my changing room - a large French farm house attached to the back of the stadium - took off my boots, socks and shin pads, and Skyped with frau imp to tell her all about it. After a while I realised the second half had started without me, and then I couldn't find my boots. I rushed from room to room in the massive farm house, up and down stone staircases, frantically sorting through old boots, but none of them were mine. By the time I found them, 20 minutes of the second half had gone and my coach, Jupp Heynckes, had already subbed in Taleb Tawatha* to replace me.

I sat in front of the team bench on the floor and grovellingly apologised to the steely-faced tactician, explaining about the boots, but he didn't even acknowledge me. Soon the game was 2-2 and I almost wept to think how differently the game might have gone if I hadn't lost my boots. I never got to hear the final score, but Heynckes later coldly analysed my first-half performance as "inadequate" as we sat around a large kitchen table dissecting the game. Ex-Frankfurt coach Niko Kovac sat next to him nodding in agreement.

This was all so vivid that I was really, really relieved to wake up and find that I hadn't cost Eintracht the German Cup after all.

*Eintracht's current reserve left-sided defender/midfielder

Comment

That's not a dream, it's a pitch for a movie - one that I certainly want to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Pault43 View Post
                                Has anyone ever done an article about football related dreams for WSC?
                                I dreamt I was watching Boro play Barcelona at Ayresome park in 1974. The half time entertainment was a heavy metal band fronted by Danny deVito. David Bowie stood next to me, attempting to eat a fried egg sandwich while wearing an white suit.

I forget the score, but Danny DeVito was surprisingly good.

Paul T
                                Not a bad one and only post to have made.

Comment

He probably forgot his password after the LSD wore off.

Comment

As I mentioned before, I had a dream about visiting Eintract Frankfurt’s stadium and merch shop. It looked remarkably like the real life stadium even though, prior to that dream, I’d never even seen a picture of the stadium, let alone been to Frankfurt. Then a few years later, IMP moved to Frankfurt.

Comment

Working...
                                    X