Hat Trick or Treat - Halloweekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know, a torturous title and Halloween isn't even until Monday. It was that or something about the clocks going back.

Busy weekend for me, tonight I'm attending my second session of the London Six Day cycling at the Olympic Velodrome, tomorrow afternoon is Wimbledon v Bradford City* and Sunday lunchtime is Washington Redskins "at" Cincinnati Bengals (actually) at Wembley.

*do we think Bantams or Paraders is the proper nickname for Bradford? Is Axel still around?

Santutxu v Cultural de Durango on Sunday.

Santutxu, third from bottom, are looking for their first home win of the season against second in the table Cultural. They are, along with Deusto, the surprise package of this early Tercera División de Euskadi season.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote:
      *do we think Bantams or Paraders is the proper nickname for Bradford? Is Axel still around?
      Can't say I've ever heard 'Paraders'...

Comment

No football for me, I've got a mate's sixtieth birthday party tomorrow afternoon.

And why the hell is this red(ish)?

Comment

Oh, it's not now...

Comment

Jobi1 wrote:
            Originally posted by Ray de Galles
            They appear to have bounced back and forth between Bantams and Paraders over their history. I'm not sure if The Paraders has been used for the longer time or not.

It's also the title of their programme :

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote:
              Originally posted by Jobi1
              Originally posted by Ray de Galles
              They appear to have bounced back and forth between Bantams and Paraders over their history. I'm not sure if The Paraders has been used for the longer time or not.

It's also the title of their programme
              Well there you go, I'd genuinely never heard that name used for them before.

Anyway, back on topic, tomorrow I'll be at York Cizzzzzzzireallydontcareanymore... When does the cricket season start again?

Comment

Zirl v SV Innsbruck, Austria Locallegal Tirol.

Comment

Barnsley v Bristol City

Comment

Top of the table clash in the Manx Second Division Two tomorrow between Braddan and Foxdale.

Most weekends that would be all I would be able to manage over here. However there is a rare Saturday evening game between Peel and Ramsey, being played at The Bowl in Douglas - Peel's own ground is out of action as they did some work on their pitch over the summer, but unfortunately the sand they used also contained glass and so they are now playing matches wherever they can find a spare pitch.

Comment

Huh. What's the deal with Manx football? They're not in UEFA, so what do the best teams on the island do? Just rest on their laurels, knowing that they'll never have to pit themselves against anyone from the rest of the British Isles?

Comment

Liffrok wrote: Huh. What's the deal with Manx football? They're not in UEFA, so what do the best teams on the island do? Just rest on their laurels, knowing that they'll never have to pit themselves against anyone from the rest of the British Isles?
                        Not since the glory days of the 1980s Lancs-Manx cup.

Comment

Off to Takeley, the big money boys of the Essex Senior League.

Comment

SpVgg Unterhaching gegen die Giesinger Arschlöcher.

We're still unbeaten this season.

Comment

Liffrok wrote: Huh. What's the deal with Manx football? They're not in UEFA, so what do the best teams on the island do? Just rest on their laurels, knowing that they'll never have to pit themselves against anyone from the rest of the British Isles?
                              A league side enters the FA Inter-League Cup (a biennial competition between step 7 leagues [mostly county leagues]) and has won it twice, thus qualifying for the UEFA Regions Cup (a biennial competition for amateur teams representing regions). I'm not sure how the Isle of Man selects their side - some leagues are represented by a properly representative team whilst others nominate one of their clubs.

A Manx side also enters the FA County Youth Cup each year, whilst the "national team" enters the biennial Island Games.

The clubs seem happy enough playing in their own system, although Douglas High School Old Boys did enter the FA Vase a few times in the 1980s and 90s.

There has been talk of a side similar to Guernsey FC representing the island, probably starting in the North West Counties League (there are three Manx sides playing in the north west rugby union system) but I've not heard anything about this for a while. There's also been some talk of the island joining UEFA but that seems even less likely.

Comment

I've never considered City to be anything other than the Bantams. This evening I put the question to the ultimate authority on such matters (my 10 year old son) and he confirmed that City are the Bantams and that he'd only seen Paraders used on the programme. He also pointed out that Bantams is on the Bradford City badge

As an aside, I've been reading this site for many years and read Axel's contributions with interest and only relatively recently cottoned on to the fact that we were actually real life friends.

Comment

I'm not going to a game this weekend though. I would love to be going down to AFC Wimbledon but cannot.

Axel will most likely be there though, he lives in London now.

Comment

Aberdeen v Celtic.

We're in front of the cameras for this one, our last home game before the Wee Cup Final against the same opposition. I'd be happy with a draw, given Celtic's start to the season and our capitulation to Accies on Tuesday.

Comment

Carlton Town v St Ives Town
                                      FA Trophy First Qualifying Round

As part of my 50th-birthday celebrations, Mrs KGR asked me what I wanted to do. I've never sponsored a football match in any way, so thought that an afternoon watching a game as a sponsor, with the accompanying frippery, was a Good Way to celebrate a landmark birthday.

It looked like 29th Oct was the best of the two half-term Saturdays to choose. A look at the fixture list found that Carlton Town would not have a league fixture set, but would have a home fixture in the FA Trophy if they could get through a preliminary round tie at home to fellow Div One Southers Chasetown. So, three weeks ago, I went along to the Bill Stokeld hoping, much more than usual, for a Carlton Town win. Despite being below Chasetown in the league, Carlton scored twice against the run of play and hung on for a 3-1 win, sealing it on the break in the last-minute. Relief.

So, 20 of us are in attendance at my local non-league club this afternoon, with the sponsorship being a buffet and exclusive use of the CTFC hospitality portakabin, which is a fairly mundane and uninspiring hut. Salubrious it is not. I think some of the guests, used to corporate hospitality at much more glamorous grounds, may be very surprised.

The kids have been allowed use of the plastic training pitches just behind the only stand at the ground, so we'll hopefully not see them apart from when they are hungry.

Oh yes, I do get to choose the Man of the Match Award. It'll be Kieran Walker, I always choose him. Proper central defender that lad.

One of the perks will be that CTFC Fans Leader Alan Murphy, the regular compiler of off-the-wall playlists pre- and pos-match, has put together his usual excellent selection of tunes, not only for the game, but for the first hour of my evening party that starts at about 6pm once the match has finished and post-match duties died down. For I am then inviting a few old friends over to the CTFC Clubhouse, which is slightly better than the hospitality portakabin but I doubt it stages many weddings or major parties, for drinks until late.

I have been compiling a playlist (well, threw one together last night) of my favourite and not-so-favourite-but-I-think-people-can-cope-with-it music, even though there's not an actual DJ nor a dancefloor. Hoping the music can provide backdrop to the night rather than be the centrepiece. Resisting the temptation to put my own obscure and frankly unpopular tastes to the masses, there are some nods to popular culture, and I've even allowed my three daughters to choose one modern drivel song each. My older friends from school, poly and my 20s will all stay all night anyway - most have travelled to be there - but I doubt any of the villagers who have been invited a) out of courtesy and b) because otherwise it will look quite empty, will be hanging around too long once they have heard the likes of Killing Joke, The Fall, early Simple Minds, Whitey, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Scooter. Yeah, that'll keep 'em partying.

Just need to plan the inevitable short speech I'll be talking into making. Must remember to thank Mrs KGR!

WSCers welcome to join me. You'll need a password - how about 'KGR is a loser''?

Comment

Musselburgh Athletic v Jeanfield Swifts. Would've struck out a bit further today but I've got a mate's 50th tonight up in Musselburgh, little chance of last weeks 8-4 showing but then I'll see this one.

Comment

Today was earning extra brownie points by fixing* mother in law's back door, tomorrow is Horsham v Romford in the FA Trophy first qualifying round.

* More of a temporary bodge job than actual 'fixing'.

Comment

Italy v Wales in the Rugby League World Cup Qualifier in a very sunny Monza.

Comment

0-0 at HT between Tamworth and Fylde. Fylde's fans, what few there are, are dicks. Half a dozen morons stood around a drummer giving us top bantz with chants about someone texting his boyfriend and other such witticisms.

Comment

A 1-0 win in the end. A good performance by us, inflicting Fylde's first defeat in the league this season.

Comment

A bonus evening game.

Juvenilia v Gerardiana, which appears to be the Monza non-league derby.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X