Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversations with senior Non-League Executives

(#2 in an occasional series)

Ran into Gornal FC secretary Lesley on Friday teatime. She confirms that, despite losing every single game this season, the Step 6 stalwarts are actually getting higher crowds than when they reached the FA Vase quarters four seasons ago.

Gloryhoppers eh?

Conversations with senior Non-League Executives

When I look back on this year and think about what I've achieved and failed, the key achievement will be getting into attending non-league football. League football really is just something on the telly for me now, I have no desire to be at the event whatsoever (can't drink, can't stand, can't stand where I want, can't chat to a group of people during the game, can't chat to players and staff before and after the game, can't go to the game with £10 and come back with change after paying to get + food and drink, can't get to away games easily, can't be welcomed by away team fans and ground volunteers for visiting their club, can't feel valued, can't have a good time).

And you get used to the quality quite quickly. The biggest gap is with goalkeepers and strikers, either of which, if they've got in the slightest potential will be snapped up by a step higher club. In fact, if you're playing against a team with a fat or old keeper or striker, you're almost guaranteed that they'll be technically superior to the step they're playing in. Defenders and midfielders, however imo, tend all be quite decent, I can't think of a really shocking outfield player I've seen.

I guess I'm just one of hundreds if not thousands making than transition right now. My main worry would be some naughty firms transitioning too, and God knows they'd come after the lot I follow. But up until now, it's all good.

Comment

Working...
    X