Reading by rote; Weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bouncing Dresden stadium for Dynamo v Arminia Bielefeld.

Fucking horrendous scrum to get in though.

Comment

WPL Cup quarter final - Barry Town 7 Haverfordwest County 1

Just returned from a very pleasant (first) visit to Jenner Park. Logistically very convenient, Merthyr train direct to Cadoxton, 20 mins walk to ground. Apparently its close to the 20th anniversary of Barrys 3 all draw with Aberdeen in the Cup Winners Cup played infront of a 6,500 crowd. The ground has that feel to it i think (notwithstanding the athletics track), a sizeable amount of land to the ground and very prominent in the local area.

The match itself, a very decent Barry outfit, fairly competitive first half (2-1) with an absolute peach of a first goal scored on the volley by the Barry number 11. Haverfordwest competitive if a little dirty till half time, but very poor in the 2nd. Only 3 points separating them in the league table! Barry challenging at the top of the Welsh League division 1, would be good to see them back in the WPL, its the right level for them i think, a decent crowd of around 200 tonight, they had 426 last Saturday v Port Talbot, nice to see them on the way back.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote:
        Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee
        however the chairman wants things to go pear shaped on the pitch, so there's little chance of it happening, imo.
        As an excuse to wind up the club and sell the ground?
        It's short-term ploy to just ensure a decent team didn't challenge for promotion this season after a good start. Criticism of the chairman was becoming highly vocal from the players and old manager, so he forced the manager out and got a new one, telling him to clear out the deadwood and bring in his own players. But that deadwood had won Clapton their first trophy in 25 years, so the animosity is greater now than ever.

Losing the lease for the ground is a permanent threat. The chairman would probably like his "charity" to be struck off, thereby losing the lease to the ground, which could then be sold to anyone. He hasn't submitted accounts to Companies House again this year, so it could happen (much like it almost did in 2013).

The push now is to gain asset of community value status for the The Old Spotted Dog to protect it. You can read more about this here:
        https://claptonfcnews.wordpress.com/2016/10/08/clapton-fans-move-to-secure-future-of-old-spotted-dog/

If anyone on the board is a Newham resident, or you know anyone who is, please get involved or get them involved. From a personal perspective, going to Clapton has been a great thing in my life after a tricky year transitioning back to life in the UK. The Ultras are a real positive force for non-league football and the local community and it's a crying shame that the actions of a crooked individual are preventing the club from progressing as a result of its current wave of popularity.

Comment

Stunningly, I managed to watch half a game at what I thought was my intended ground, before noticing that Mondercange v Sandweiler was kicking off in the distance. Anyway, eventually I did get to the Luxembourg Promotion D'honour.

Hopefully, photo now fixed.

Comment

Parkgate 1-2 Worksop Town

Decent game if a bit kicky second half. The result not an accurate reflection of the game, Parkgate had six clear chances while Worksop scored with their only serious attempts. Parkgate are well adrift at the bottom of the league, haven't won yet and will be relegated.

An owl flew over a corner of the ground second half, if I'd got a photo it would have been sent to Autumnwatch.

Comment

Awaiting the start of Koniz v Luzern in the Schweizer Pokal.

Comment

Working...
              X