Clubs based in exclaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clubs based in exclaves

FC Büsingen, from the German Büsingen am Hochrhein exclave, in Switzerland.

Any others? (Got to be some in Kaliningrad - that would be the obvious one, I suppose.) Anyone here been to a game at an exclave-bound ground?

Clubs based in exclaves

Melilla and Ceuta. They're in the regionalised third and fourth tier respectively.

Atlético Tetuán actually made it to the top flight back when it was a Spanish enclave.

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

Derry City.

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

Gangster Octopus wrote: Derry City.
        Then I'll have Berwick Rangers!

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

Sheriff Tiraspol.

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

The Palestinian Football League has two top divisions, one for the West Bank and one for Gaza. I'd say Gaza was an exclave by any realistic definition

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

Araz-Naxcivan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araz-Nax%C3%A7%C4%B1van_PFK

Though they have withdrawn from the Azerbaijan top flight due to "constant biased referee decisions"

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

AC Livigno play in the Prima Categoria (seventh level) of the Italian pyramid, notwithstanding the fact that their territory is surrounded by Switzerland. Campione d'Italia (another such exclave) have a five a side team.

Kaliningrad's club is FC Baltika, which had several seasons in the top flight, but is now in the Russian second tier.

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

Looking like Battle of the Exclaves in the Fae Girders Cup QF- Crusaders v Totally Noxious Salopians if Livi are kicked out as predicted.

I'd have liked a day out in Oswestry, but you can't have everything.

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

There has to be a decent team in Cabinda, right, given that they hosted African Cup of Nations matches in one of their stadia?

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

GCostanza wrote: Sheriff Tiraspol.
                      Not an enclave (or an exclave)

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

Appear to be two Cabinda clubs in the second tier, one affiliated with Porto and the other with Sporting.

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

There's got to be teams in Alaska - Anchorage has a population of 300,000 which is easily enough to support a team at a high standard.

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

3 Colours Red wrote: There's got to be teams in Alaska - Anchorage has a population of 300,000 which is easily enough to support a team at a high standard.
                            Alaska doesn't have any clubs playing higher than some local competitions.

In 1977 Team Hawaii played in the original NASL. They moved to Tulsa the following year.

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

There are two public universities in Alaska (Fairbanks and Anchorage) that have Division I ice hockey teams which play a national schedule. Neither has an intercollegiate soccer team. Whereas the University of Hawaii campuses in both Honolulu and Hilo field both men's and women's teams.

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

Surely Hawaii isn't an exclave, though. Hawaii is just an island part of the US?

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

Duncan Gardner wrote: Looking like Battle of the Exclaves in the Fae Girders Cup QF- Crusaders v Totally Noxious Salopians if Livi are kicked out as predicted.

I'd have liked a day out in Oswestry, but you can't have everything.
                                  Would I be correct in thinking that you've never been to Oswestry?

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

Bizarre Löw Triangle wrote:
                                    Originally posted by GCostanza
                                    Sheriff Tiraspol.
                                    Not an enclave (or an exclave)
                                    According to Wiki/Google, it's an exclave, not an enclave.

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

An exclave of what country?

Are you seriously suggesting (as I can only imagine you are) that Transnistria is an exclave of Russia? Fucking hell, man.

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

Different sport, but the thread title doesn't specify...

North Wales cricket based its county cricket competition around the historical counties - I think it still does. Once in the early '80s, Flintshire played one of its home games against Montgomeryshire in Overton, which was historically in Maelor Saesneg, an exclave of Flintshire.

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

ad hoc wrote: An exclave of what country?

Are you seriously suggesting (as I can only imagine you are) that Transnistria is an exclave of Russia? Fucking hell, man.
                                          Hmmm... well, to be fair, it does sound like that's what they're driving towards, themselves. (Here's the BBC's page on the region and a softer piece from Wired.) The presence of the 1000 troops provided by Russia sounds a thorny issue.

I'm wondering - do you have some other references, Ad, showing the situation in a different light. You're our 'regional expert' - I don't know too much about the area - only what I read on Wikipedia, the BBC and other sites.

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

Some of the people would like to be in the USSR (if such a thing existed), and these include the self proclaimed government of this country that doesn't actually exist. Ethnically Transnistria is about 1/3rd Moldovan, 1/3rd Ukrainian, 1/3rd Russian. I'd be very surprised if all of them (or even a majority of them) wanted to be part of Russia, particularly since the Russia-Ukraine war started. But Putin's Russia will of course agitate and play games with people and imply that it is yet another South Ossetia or even a Crimea. But even Russia hasn't recognised Transnistria's self-declared independence, so for the time being at least it is very much part of Moldova. Certainly no exclave of Russia, and a million miles from being one. (Sheriff Tiraspol, the team mentioned in this thread play in the Moldovan league, obviously)

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

Okey dokey - cheers for that. :-)

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

1974ddr wrote: Would I be correct in thinking that you've never been to Oswestry?
                                                Heh, naughty DDR. I have friends there and know the town quite well actually.

On a previous visit to the football ground, was chatting in the social club to ex-Everton striker Graeme Sharp (his son was playing for TNS at the time).

I understand G Costanza was on holiday in Transnistria (and Moldova) last week.

Comment

Clubs based in exclaves

Except as ever ^^, you are mistaken.
                                                  Though it hasn't stopped you being wrong on numerous previous occasions!

Was in Romania once about twenty years ago;Was a bit of a dump then, but doubtless inproved with EU money and that.

ad hoc wrote: An exclave of what country?

Google and Wiki suggest so.
                                                  Plus one Moldovan in England told me too.
                                                  So it must be true.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X