No announcement yet.

The Refereeing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wolves player was a one footed challenge, foot down with no stamping motion or serious contact with the opponents leg,yellow at most.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
      The Wolves player was a one footed challenge, foot down with no stamping motion or serious contact with the opponents leg,yellow at most.
      He's charging in and lunging after a ball he's miscontrolled. These situations can often end badly. Fortunately fabinho sees him coming and can get out of the way. Though I find myself looking at his reaction and stroking my chin.

Comment

I'm somewhat with both of you there. The Wolves player is lunging in, and arguably using a fair amount of force, but he is also reasonably in control as he keeps his leg down and doesn't stamp at all. It's overly forceful, and arguably yellow card worthy for that. Fabinho sees the challenge coming and jumps and spins to avoids it, but in doing so ends up going over the ball and lands on Lamina. I don't think it's a stamp either - I can't see anywhere else but on top of the Wolves player for his leg to come down to earth. After watching in a number of times in real slow-motion I'm going with free-kick to Liverpool and yellow card to the Wolves player as the outcome. No reds needed at all, one player is not endangering the other (Lamina) and the second is doing something dangerous but only as last-gasp evasive action from a foul challenge on himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
          Did you tell him this in person? It's nice to hear when you have officiated well and people have appreciated that...

Not that I would have received such kudos today. And I will definitely be getting negative feedback as me and my colleague had a coach present watching us. File under "When another official has a seriously off day, and that drags you down in turn"
          Coaching report says "you were sold down the river a little by your colleague" but that I could have helped the situation with better communication with my colleague to try and help his performance improve/back him down from certain critical misjudgements, including convincing him to rescind a card he gave which just inflamed one of the teams (unfortunately, not unreasonably either). And I could have laid the ground better pre-game to have helped avoid the problems in the first place. Which all seems pretty fair.

Comment

'When referees don't help their own cause' - a minor run-in with a colleague this weekend in my coaching role. Retrospectively hilarious, but still an indication why so many people perceive refs as inflexible twats.

Comment

I saw this (very old) cartoon on Twitter and had a chuckle and thought of imp and all the other refs who have to put up with numerous touchline gob shites.

B566E6A6-FA87-4933-9F05-A8AAAA3A1171.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                I saw this (very old) cartoon on Twitter and had a chuckle and thought of imp and all the other refs who have to put up with numerous touchline gob shites.

B566E6A6-FA87-4933-9F05-A8AAAA3A1171.jpg
                He forgot "Handball!" and "Foul throw!"

Comment

Hey, 98.6, it's good to have you back again...

Comment

This week's blog wishes it could meet an objective and sane spectator after every game - it was yet another showcase for hot-headed wankery. There's also a new podcast up at Halcyon where I bang on about reffing for a while (we're having a second push of the book, so apologies to those having to endure the same message).

Comment

So after 35 years of officiating, I have decided to hang up the whistle, cards etc. Maybe my skin is not as thick as it used to be, but finally tired of the abuse, personal and otherwise, and giving up my time to deal with a bunch of whining players, coaches and officials 2 or 3 times a week. Final straw really was a coach, and someone I thought I had a good relationship with, telling me my nationality (he was wrong by the way) and therefore my race was the reason I hadn't had a good game that day (polite version). Maybe I'll find another hobby to fill my time, perhaps running randomly around my neighbourhood inviting strangers to shout rude things at me.

Comment

That's too bad, BI. But I understand one hundred per cent. It's never a single game, it's the accumulation and then a final straw that's the trigger. I'm sure mine will come sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by Bermuda Iron View Post
                          So after 35 years of officiating, I have decided to hang up the whistle, cards etc. Maybe my skin is not as thick as it used to be, but finally tired of the abuse, personal and otherwise, and giving up my time to deal with a bunch of whining players, coaches and officials 2 or 3 times a week. Final straw really was a coach, and someone I thought I had a good relationship with, telling me my nationality (he was wrong by the way) and therefore my race was the reason I hadn't had a good game that day (polite version). Maybe I'll find another hobby to fill my time, perhaps running randomly around my neighbourhood inviting strangers to shout rude things at me.
                          Bermuda Iron, as an ex-player (many, many years retired), thank you for your 35 years of officiating. Wonderful service to the “beautiful game”, but made not so beautiful by numerous ignorant gobshites both on and off the park. Incidentally, I lived in Bermuda from 1990 to 2001 and played in the Commercial League. Were you in Bermuda at that time? If yes, you may have reffed games that I played in. I played mainly for Forties and then a handful of games for Lobster Pot. Hope you find something as fulfilling as reffing.

Comment

Thanks DPDPDPDP, appreciate the sentiments. Became a ref way back when I had to stop playing, and in general really enjoyed it. Fortunate enough to ref at a reasonable level, in the UK and the Netherlands for a couple of years. I ultimately became a CONCACAF assessor and technical instructor as well, so I may keep involved coaching and mentoring the younger officials over here (less hassle but still rewarding). I moved to Bermuda in 2011 (my wife is Bermudian who I met in the military in the UK), and she wanted to come back home after we left. The Commercial League is still going, called the Corona League now, but Lobster Pot dropped out of the league a few years ago. I reffed mainly in the Premier Division (last game 2 weeks ago down in St David's if you remember the Lords ground down there). Nothing will have changed since you lived here...

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                              That's too bad, BI. But I understand one hundred per cent. It's never a single game, it's the accumulation and then a final straw that's the trigger. I'm sure mine will come sooner or later.
                              I love reading your blogs imp, some a mirror image of many of the games I have been involved in! Your man management skills are clearly of a high level, I really hope you keep going (well, as long as you keep enjoying it). I just came to the point where the abuse was too personal, I reported it to the Bermuda FA as requested, nothing ever gets done, and I kept asking myself why do I put up with this shit when there are better things I could be doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bermuda Iron View Post
                                Thanks DPDPDPDP, appreciate the sentiments. Became a ref way back when I had to stop playing, and in general really enjoyed it. Fortunate enough to ref at a reasonable level, in the UK and the Netherlands for a couple of years. I ultimately became a CONCACAF assessor and technical instructor as well, so I may keep involved coaching and mentoring the younger officials over here (less hassle but still rewarding). I moved to Bermuda in 2011 (my wife is Bermudian who I met in the military in the UK), and she wanted to come back home after we left. The Commercial League is still going, called the Corona League now, but Lobster Pot dropped out of the league a few years ago. I reffed mainly in the Premier Division (last game 2 weeks ago down in St David's if you remember the Lords ground down there). Nothing will have changed since you lived here...
                                Bermuda Iron, it’s great that you still got enjoyment out of the game, especially early on, after you stopped playing. Once we left Bermuda and moved back to Scotland, I played now and again until I was 38. By then, I made Jan Molby look like Usain Bolt! I mainly played sweeper in a team full of very talented, but disorganised, young lads (young enough to be my kids!). I was more like an “on field coach” than a player. The young lads appreciated my organisation. I remember one game where I got MOTM in a game where I hardly touched the ball! After that, I coached my own boys to under 13 level and really enjoyed it. Now my main enjoyment is from watching one of my boys play - my other lad had to stop playing after a bad knee injury. Yes, I remember St David’s and the Lords ground. Incidentally, my oldest lad visited Bermuda, with a few mates, last year. It was the first time that he had returned to the country of his birth since he left when he was only 6. Not surprisingly the boys had a great time.

Comment

No game this past weekend (I was out of town), so this week the reffing blog takes last year's review and interview with Ashley Hickson-Lovence from behind Soccer America's paywall, and reproduces it for your delight and entertainment. The paperback of Hickson-Lovence's novel 'Your Show', narrated through the eyes of Uriah Rennie, has just been issued in paperback. There's also a link to the podcast at the Halcyon website where he and I chat about the relationship between writing and refereeing. On that same page, there are some audio extracts from Reffing Hell.

Comment

...but just because I wasn't refereeing, that doesn't man all was peaceful on Frankfurt's fields. A game involving the U11 team at my club was abandoned due to over-enthusiastic parental involvement on the part of their opponents. No ref showed up, so our club's assistant coach agreed to ref the game. It didn't go well, and he ended it due to the parents continually screaming at and insulting him.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine was mentoring a new ref at a U13 boys game. Did the coaches and parents take this into account? Did they fuck, and this had a knock-on effect with their little darlings out on the pitch. Four yellows and a straight red. These are 12-year-old kids, for fuck's sake. And no doubt a brand new ref who's already wondering if this is the right hobby for his weekends.

Also, a U19 team I reffed earlier this season - the one whose 'fans' threw a flare on to the field - has been banned after a home game where, after the final whistle (seven yellow cards, one time-penalty), they covered their faces with scarves and balaclavas, then waited for their opponents outside the ground before jumping out and attacking them. The background was an alleged racist insult when the two teams met earlier in the season.

Football - it's the sport that binds humanity!

Comment

Interesting long read in The Guardian today on PGMOL.

Comment

We won at the weekend, but I'm still amazed at how two officials, one a leading assistant who has served at international tournaments, managed to let UCD take an offside free kick about 5 metres into our half.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                          We won at the weekend, but I'm still amazed at how two officials, one a leading assistant who has served at international tournaments, managed to let UCD take an offside free kick about 5 metres into our half.
                                          Presumably because that's where the attacker was when they came back from an offside position in the opposition half to play the ball. Always nice to hear people in the stands moan about that one!

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

Presumably because that's where the attacker was when they came back from an offside position in the opposition half to play the ball. Always nice to hear people in the stands moan about that one!
                                            Nope, finished up in the opposition half. UCD centre back did the usual throw the ball forward, so it ended up well into our half.

Comment

I’m really not following the description, but imp’s basic point stands - it is entirely possible within the laws for an offside free-kick to be spotted in the attacking half of the field. That wasn’t the law 10/15/20+ years ago... but that is the case now. If you think it’s impossible for a player to commit an offside offence* within their own half, bluntly you are just wrong (because you are out-of-date).

* - the offence, rather than ‘being offside’ as being offside is no longer, of itself, a foul.

Comment

Last game for a month, though the main drama of the day came while watching another game that I happened to pass on my way home. Off now to New Yoik Fucking City. Proper delis, proper book shops, proper record stores - I am on my way.

Comment

Keep us informed.

Comment

Tsk, I see this thread has been cruelly neglected in my absence. Never mind, here's a new blog post.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X