The Refereeing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Janik View Post

1. No. The player should only re-enter the field of play at the next break in play. And do so at the halfway line.

2. Send the spitter off for ungentlemanly conduct. And restart the game with the throw-in the AR was indicating. Logic: the ball and play was dead at that moment even if the ref didn’t realise it, but players can be punished for bad personal conduct that occurs whilst the ball is dead, hence the red.

3. Red card for violent conduct. Restart the game with a direct free-kick to the opposition placed where the offender was standing.

4. Indirect free-kick to the opposition at the spot where the goalie picked the ball up (I don’t think the recent law change on goal kicks removed the need for the ball to leave the box before the keeper can handle it)

5. Stop the game, insist on returning to the ball currently in use, and restart with an indirect free-kick to the opposition at the spot where the keeper was standing. Only the ref can change the ball in use, you see. Also booked the keeper and instruct the club official not to enter the playing area again or he will be asked to leave.

6. OFFS. Disallow the goal, award an indirect free-kick to the opposition where the extra player was on the pitch, and instruct 10 that you will be including his encroachment in your disciplinary report.
    On question 5, I don;t think the ref is the only person who can change the ball. In many countries now to speed up play the ball boy throws on a new ball when the old one has been kicked some distance away !

Comment

Correct answers at the end of the month when I get them, but I think:

1. player has to re-enter via anywhere on the sideline, but it doesn't have to be at the halfway line.

2. Agree with Janik and SB on this.

3. I think it's red and an indirect free-kick on the touchline, because the player is from his own team and is off the field - in German the question explicitly stresses that he reaches over the touchline to smack him. One of those irritating questions they throw in to fuck us off. Obviously, in an actual game no one would notice if you gave direct or indirect, or where the player's fist had been at the exact second he walloped his team-mate. If his team-mate was on the field, then it would be direct. Great that Fifa differentiates on this important matter...

4. With you all on this, though I'll look it up to be absolutely sure before I submit my answers..

5. I very much like SB's answer of 'corner kick' - the ball should only be exchanged with the ref's permission, and only during a stop in play. I was a bit stumped by this one, so thanks. They insist all the answers are in the Laws of the Game, but I can't find an answer to this conundrum anywhere in the booklet. But if the goalie just throws the ball out, even at the behest of a club official, then yes, it can only be a corner.

6. The re-start is actually a penalty to the 11-man team, as far as I can work out. Law 3, Clause 9 states that the re-start is a direct free-kick where the sent-off player was standing when the goal was scored. As he's in the penalty area, then it's a penalty. I can just imagine the fun scenes I'll have if that one ever happens to me in a real match. "No, lads, not only is your last-minute winning goal with 10 men cancelled, the other team gets a penalty! I know, right - hilarious! Yep, it's in the Laws of the Game, look it up when you get home tonight." Again, thanks for that one, Fifa.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbear View Post

On question 5, I don;t think the ref is the only person who can change the ball. In many countries now to speed up play the ball boy throws on a new ball when the old one has been kicked some distance away !
        But only if the ref has agreed to a multi-ball system before kick off. It is all being done with her permission in that scenario.

Comment

Yes, 5 is a corner. Keeper has just caught the ball, it doesn't go out of play until he throws it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
            But only if the ref has agreed to a multi-ball system before kick off. It is all being done with her permission in that scenario.
            I think the key in the question is the ball still being in play. If the ball had rolled out for a goal-kick and the bloke behind the goal had thrown the keeper the old ball without the ref's permission, in an amateur game then certainly the ref wouldn't even blink - they've already approved the old ball for use at kick-off, so they know it's in good shape.

Whenever the ball gets blasted into the nearby woods and the bench throws a new one on, I always insist on giving it a quick feel. If you don't, you can be sure that two minutes later a player's going to complain that the new ball's too flat/hard. At pitches with notorious bogs/rivers/slopes/forests next to them, I'll try and get the home club to post (pre-approved) extra balls at the appropriate places to help continuity.

Comment

Back in the day of real footballs my dear old dad played on a pitch which was on a spit of land on the River Ouse. The home team tactic was to score first, then boot the ball in the river so it came back waterlogged and harder to propel forward than a medicine ball.

Comment

Ha! Market Rasen Town's wonderful 'Ropewalk' ground had a massive marsh behind one goal (and a railway line along one sideline). A bloke in galoshes was permanently stationed there to retrieve the numerous balls that flew astray. Eventually they merged with the cricket club and moved there, using part of the money they got for the land (now housing, inevitably) to build a stand that no one ever sat in.

The cricket ground is boarded by the River Rase on two sides, and I ended up in there one Sunday afternoon running too eagerly to prevent a boundary while playing for Rasen's Second XI. Can't recall if the umpire replaced the soggy ball. The Market Rasen Mail's only reporter was on the team that day too, but was so completely lacking in imagination that he wrote up the match report without mentioning the incident, despite it being the most entertaining thing to happen all afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                  This weekend's duties included ejecting an extremely unpleasant and aggressive adult from a youth team game, because the home club refused to take any fucking responsibility for the behaviour of their own spectators.
                  Is this common outside of German (youth) football? That a club has a designated adult to police the behaviour of their spectators and officials? It sounds like a great idea, even if the chap in this instance didn't fulfill his duties.

Comment

It's obligatory at all levels of German football in officially sanctioned DFB games. But if you're reffing a game where there's only two men and a dog, you don't tend to bother.

This week's blog - screwing up a major call because you were poorly positioned. And getting piled on by the away team for my offside calls.

Comment

Fucking hell, another fraught night in the U19 city cup quarter final. The game itself was fine, the majority of players behaved themselves the majority of time, bar the usual fouls. It was the coaches, again, and so I made my feelings known in the disciplinary report about the state of amateur football in Frankfurt.

What really upsets me way more than coaches yelling during the game (although that's bad enough) is the complete lack of apology afterwards, from anyone. That they don't calm down and think, "Fuck me, was I behaving like a fucking arsehole there, I'd better go and apologise to the ref, even if I still think he's a cunt." It's that they still think they're so in the right about the fucking throw-in, or that the fucking throw-in was even important, that they can't find it in themselves to act like less of a twat for two minutes.

The coach I red-carded actually walked right past me in the otherwise deserted car park as I was unlocking my bike. I took my time, just to give him one last chance to say something contrite about his wankish behaviour. No fucking chance.

Comment

14 Euro? You're not serious Imp? Is that from each team or in total? When I finally jacked in 11 a side football in 2006 we were paying the referee 35 euro Each!

Comment

I'm afraid it's serious - and that with no linesmen. I know, an absolute fucking joke. For U15 and below it's €12. For men's games it's €22 (last pay increase was four years ago), €25 for the level 8 games I'm now reffing too.

I forwarded the report to my reffing bosses - complaining too that there's no transparency because we never get to hear if any action has been taken against arseholes like this - and they've forwarded it to the Hessen FA and a state SPD politician (who's also a ref in the third division) describing it as "written from the soul", and saying that it reflects the way that many referees are feeling right now. So good on them for that. They're also going to bring it up at our AGM next week (which I won't be able to attend, unfortunately), which is also attended by reps of the Hessen FA.

At least I feel now it was worth the two and half hours it took me to write the fucking thing this morning.

Comment

The official answers:

1. After a tussle for the ball a defender goes off injured and is treated behind the end-line of the goal his team is defending. After 5 minutes they are ready to come back on while the ball is in play at the halfway line. Should the referee allow the player to re-enter the field right at this moment? No. While the ball is in play the player must re-enter the game from the sideline. If the ball is not in play, re-entering the game from the end-line is permitted

2. The AR signals to the referee that the ball's gone out of play over the sideline, but the referee doesn't see the flag until a couple of moves later. Just then, with the ball still in play, a defender spits at an opponent in their own penalty area. What does the referee do? Throw-in, red card

3. A pissed-off player assaults a team-mate, who at that moment is being treated just off the field of play for an injury [Yeah, happens all the time]. The miscreant is standing on the field of play when they hit the team-mate and his team has possession of the ball in midfield. Decision? Indirect free-kick, on the touchline, red card

4. A defender takes a goal-kick and passes the ball to their goalie, who's standing inside the penalty area. The goalie dribbles the ball several yards and then, still in the penalty area, picks it up with his hands. Decision? indirect free-kick, on the line of the six-yard box, no punishment

5. A cross goes so far out behind the goal that the ref allows the goalie to take a new ball for a quick re-start. A few minutes later the goalie catches the ball from another cross, while behind the goal a club official, who's retrieved the first ball, shouts to the keeper, "Here, take the old ball". They exchange balls and the goalkeeper shapes up to continue play. What does the referee do? Corner-kick, no punishment

6. It's 2-2 in the 90th. minute when you send off the home team's number 10. Despite this, his team scores the winning goal with the last attack of the game. Then your AR tells you that the red-carded player was on the field when the goal was scored, having run back on to start an argument with his goalkeeper in the home team's penalty area. Assuming your AR has seen everything correctly, what's your course of action? Penalty, write up incident in game report

Thanks for taking part, especially SB on question 5 - scored 30/30 this month across the full 15 questions. I reckon you're all good enough to officiate in Frankfurt - I'm sure my blog and the pay make this an attractive prospect.

Comment

thanks Imp. do you write your reports in English and then translate to German or vice versa?

Comment

Also suggests a minor thread diversion. Politicians who are/were referees.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                  thanks Imp. do you write your reports in English and then translate to German or vice versa?
                                  In German, then translate them for the blog if I'm going to use one. It's when you realise there's a certain rhythm to the German language when it comes to describing negative events that just doesn't have the same 'feel' when translated into English. A long-winded irony peppered with compound nouns that sounds too over-the-top and elevated in English. Or maybe that's how I sound in German too.

Comment

For U15 and below it's €12. For men's games it's €22 (last pay increase was four years ago), €25 for the level 8 games I'm now reffing too.
                                    Two years ago in this region it was €14 for under 9s rising to €24 for under 17s.

Comment

For U15 and below it's €12. For men's games it's €22 (last pay increase was four years ago), €25 for the level 8 games I'm now reffing too.
                                      I don't know the current exchange rate, but this week my under 10s will have a game with an official ref for the first time ever, usually the home team coach, or family member, just refs at our age group but our opponents have two players suspended for violence against another team from my club last week.

Anyway - for our 7v7 game the fee is ?18. 9v9 (so up to U13) is ?24 and 11-a-side is then ?30. Given some of the crap I've witnessed, and been victim to whilst running the line, before, I can see why there's a shortage of refs these days.

Comment

Back out there this weekend and getting horrendous flak for making two crucial (and nailed-on) penalty calls. Booed off the park by an angry mob for the first time ever - yay. I must be a real ref now.

More and more friends and family are asking me why on God's earth I continue to do this. And my replies of 'to keep fit' and 'to keep in the game' are starting to lack all conviction even to my own ears. Both these games caused me sleepless nights - partly playing the games back through my head, partly wondering if I should jack it in. Not yet, but the case for a quieter life gets stronger every weekend.

Comment

Keep the faith, and keep pointing out they are the idiots !!

Comment

Amateur football's shutting down around the region again, but we were still playing this weekend in Frankfurt. Have stopped using the changing rooms, and am delivering a new, threatening pre-match speech. Also in this week's ramblings, I let off steam about the Alpha Wanker Assistant Coach who was the sole disturbing factor during an otherwise perfectly peaceful girls U14 game.

Comment

Amateur football's shutting down around the region again, but we were still playing this weekend in Frankfurt. Have stopped using the changing rooms, and am delivering a new, threatening pre-match speech. Also in this week's ramblings, I let off steam about the Alpha Wanker Assistant Coach who was the sole disturbing factor during an otherwise perfectly peaceful girls U14 game.
                                              That was a magnificent rant, that penultimate para. I always enjoy your blog, and I get very excited if I realise I'm slipped behind and have two posts to read.

Hope the shutdown isn't the end of reffing for you.

Comment

ChrisJ Thank you very much. I'm mentoring on Thursday night and have a game to ref Saturday - nothing's been cancelled yet. On the one hand, I want football to continue for all the obvious reasons. On the other hand, a stretch of free weekends all the way to Christmas and beyond has multiple attractions too, especially as it gets colder, darker and wetter.

Comment

Your blog is always a great read, easily the best contibution to this forum - please keep it up !

Comment

Amateur sport suspended across the country from Monday until the end of November. I'd be surprised if we're playing again before March. No word on this Saturday's game - a boys' U15 tie. It seems somehow absurd to go ahead with it. Is the risk somehow less because it's being played before the official government cut-off date?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X