The Refereeing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
    I've often thought that if refs explained some of their decisions, or even held their hands up on a bad one, then they wouldn't get as much grief as they do.
    A couple of weeks ago I was at a game with club linesmen. The ref overruled one of them to award a corner and a short while later he came over and said to the linesman, Sorry, I shouldn't have done that, wrong decision. "TOO FUCKING LATE FOR THAT NOW, REF, ISN'T IT," came the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
      I've often thought that if refs explained some of their decisions, or even held their hands up on a bad one, then they wouldn't get as much grief as they do.
      That's a fair point. For some reason we're trained not to do this, but it's a part of our training I've always ignored, taking my cue from American Football referees and using a variety of signals or curt verbal calls to explain my calls when it's not obvious - especially on stuff like holding or shoving when the player penalised immediately raises a voice of outrage. A good one is making a 'T' gesture with both hands when the ball's ricocheted off two players and you give it one way, much to the chagrin of the other. There are times when I haven't a fucking clue who it came off, but the 'T' gesture makes it look like you made an expert, authoritative decision.

I apologise too, though sparingly. I called an offside last weekend when there was a defender so far back I hadn't registered him at first. Very poor call, but if you apologise then it generally calms players straightaway. Sometimes I suspect that I missed something and may mutter an apology to the player (possibly) fouled along the lines that my sight-line was blocked. Which is sometimes true, and sometimes just a dishonest way of saying that I didn't see it at all, but the players are going to lose faith in you pretty fast if you start admitting to that too often.

Also @SimonG - good on your coach for red-carding you and throwing you out of the starting line-up. Consider yourself lucky that he was so lenient - if I'd been your coach you'd never have played for the team again.

Comment

He wouldn't have chucked me off the team - I brought in most of our players from my school. We had much worse arguments over the years, and I'd like to think I was right more often than not. I did deserve the red, I admit that, but I've never properly forgiven him for not giving the foul.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post

A couple of weeks ago I was at a game with club linesmen. The ref overruled one of them to award a corner and a short while later he came over and said to the linesman, Sorry, I shouldn't have done that, wrong decision. "TOO FUCKING LATE FOR THAT NOW, REF, ISN'T IT," came the reply.
          Can a ref send an official off for dissent? Or violent conduct, come to that, if one got into a fight with a player?

Comment

Love the idea of imp with his own range of American football style signals.

The best reply I've heard from a harassed ref came last season when a youngish female ref was being queried by a coach on allegedly persistent foul play from the opposition.... "I didn't see persistent fouling. I can only call what I see, but rest assured if I see foul play I'll act on it. For both sides"

Comment

My first game at Level 8, with actual paying spectators and all. In short: faster, better game, but still with loads of fouling and moaning.

Comment

imp and other refs, is a 6 month ban for physical contact with a ref a standard response? (I'm not exactly sure what the contact was but it sounds like he put a hand on the ref's arm or chest. The FA involved are calling it assault.)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  imp and other refs, is a 6 month ban for physical contact with a ref a standard response? (I'm not exactly sure what the contact was but it sounds like he put a hand on the ref's arm or chest. The FA involved are calling it assault.)
                  Essentially it is down to the disciplinary committee of the relevant FA, district, county etc. The ref and assistants would complete their match reports, and this is then in the hands of the committee to decide on any bans and their length.

Comment

The league my sons play in (Burton Junior Football League) are doing the sin bin thing for dissent this season. The younger ones team (u12) don't really seem to be at an age yet where dissent is a thing, but the older ones (u15) definitely are. The threat of the sin bin is really working though to be fair - there's a couple of gobby players on his team who would regularly spout off last season- this season they're getting clamped down on straight away by their own team mates.

The refs in general this season have been very impressive too, always explaining their decisions and doing a very good job.

Comment

Funny incident this week in a First Div game here. Penalty awarded, penalty saved, in the congratulations afterwards a defender takes the ball off the keeper to take a 'goal kick', but ball is still live and pay ongoing, cue second penalty for handball....

No idea how to post links (lazy and tech-blind) so for those interested, go to www.islandstats.com, look at Premier and First Division Round up and look at the video (about 2:10 onwards).

Comment

Here ya go! It is indeed hilarious.

Comment

Thank you Wouter

Comment

I love that the "cameraman" is cracking up! And the jaunty angle of everything.

Comment

Love the Bermuda clip - especially the ruthless laughter.

I've got some more quiz questions soon once I get around to translating and transcribing them.

In the meantime, this week's blog celebrates an actual sane and calm captain doing the job a captain's supposed to do.

An online report of my first level 8 game last week claimed there was a "breath-taking" gate of 300 there. It didn't look that many to me, but I'll take it - easily my all-time biggest attendance as a ref.

Comment

"The number 10 does come and apologise to him about five minutes after the final whistle, but for me that's way too late for contrition, so I don't mention the gesture in the match report."

Maybe he'd been waiting for things to calm down, perhaps including himself? It''s better than nothing, surely?

Comment

Yep, better than nothing, but not real regret - he'd clearly been sent over by his coach. If you're really sorry about something like that you apologise straightaway - there'd been absolutely no malice or provocation from the number 7 whose leg he could easily have broken. He wasn't apologising when he was arguing the toss with opponents on his way to the dressing-room.

Comment

Fair enough

Comment

Congratulations imp!

So much to love in that Bermuda penalty clip, like the way the ref has his arm round the keeper in a consoling looking way for ages. Feel sorry for the keeper as well, two pelanty saves, and still shipping a goal. Bermuda definitely on my list for an action Groundhop.

Comment

Who were the teams in the clip btw?

Comment

Imp, a question for you. A player gets fouled in the penalty box and is injured in the process and required treatment. The player in question is normally the designated penalty taker. Is that player allowed to take the penalty kick or must he leave the field of play? Thanks.

Comment

The Bermuda clip brought back happy memories as I used to live there and play football there back in the 90's when I was young, fit and handsome.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                                              Who were the teams in the clip btw?
                                              St David's Warriors in yellow and Young Men's Social Club in white. This was the ref's first 'senior' middle and he did well. The cameraman is Earl Thompson, who runs Island Stats, and is a real nice man, and if you ever want to groundhop in Bermuda, let me know and you will be well looked after.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                                                The Bermuda clip brought back happy memories as I used to live there and play football there back in the 90's when I was young, fit and handsome.
                                                Who did you play for?

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                                                  Imp, a question for you. A player gets fouled in the penalty box and is injured in the process and required treatment. The player in question is normally the designated penalty taker. Is that player allowed to take the penalty kick or must he leave the field of play? Thanks.
                                                  Wasn't there a new rule that if it's a yellow card offence the player doesn't have to leave the field after treatment? So it could depend on that.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Wasn't there a new rule that if it's a yellow card offence the player doesn't have to leave the field after treatment? So it could depend on that.
                                                    Oooh, oooh, pick me, I know! The law changed this year in that if a player is fouled and injured in the process, and a penalty is awarded as a result of that offence, and if the injured player is the designated penalty taker, and can be assessed and treated quickly on the field, then that player can remain on the field in order to take the penalty kick. From the IFAB overview of 2019/20 law changes: "The team's penalty taker can have (quick) treatment/assessment and then take the kick".

The change elguapo4 is commenting on happened 2 years ago I believe.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X