Dalian Atkinson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dalian Atkinson

Not sure which thread to put this on, but local media are reporting that Dalian Atkinson has died after being tasered by police in Telford.

Dalian Atkinson

A man has died after being Tasered in Telford.

via BBC Shropshire...

West Mercia Police says officers were responding to concern for the safety of a 48-year-old man at approximately 01:30 today.

The force says a Taser was fired at the man and he was given medical attention afterwards, but died at around 03:00

The Independent Police Complaints Commission has been informed.

I read this tweet from Free Radio News that it was Dalian Atkinson, but nothing confirmed as far as I can see.
    https://twitter.com/freeradionews/status/765120272265535488

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

Press Association and Sky News now reporting that it is indeed Dalian Atkinson. Bloody hell.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

Fucking hell, that's dreadful.

We had him for a year at Wednesday, scored a lovely individual goal against Liverpool and a cracking volley against Tottenham among others. Then in the summer of 1990 we sold him to Real Sociedad for the frankly ridiculous fee of £1.7 million. There was no way he was worth that, either they got confused over currency rates or bought completely the wrong player. We signed Paul Williams from Charlton for about £800k to replace him which was a more accurate reflection of his value.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

RobW wrote:

West Mercia Police says officers were responding to concern for the safety of a 48-year-old man at approximately 01:30 today.

The force says a Taser was fired at the man and he was given medical attention afterwards, but died at around 03:00
          Yep.

Because you always use lethal weaponry on people for "whom you have concern".

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

Fuck! What on earth has gone on?

He'll always be remembered for this.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

Christ, that's grim.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

That's bloody terrible.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

That is awful. I really liked him, his partnership with Saunders was very exciting.

Saunders worked incredibly hard, harassing defenders non stop. Dalian didn't do that. Great ability though.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

Police habitually use tasers on people who are suicidal or just having mental health difficulties.

There was a case in June in Llanelli that, on the face of it, sounds very similar. A former soldier was killed by police after people had raised concerns about his welfare.

Thinking back, a man was killed in Plymouth in 2013 by police. He had doused himself in petrol and was threatening to self-immolate. So police immolated him by firing a taser at him.

The mass roll-out of less-but-still-plenty-lethal weapons to police has been a disaster. Time to disarm the police.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

I'd like to hear more details before passing judgment but at first glance it seems a reckless and potentially homicidal method to immobilize someone who was only a danger to himself.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

The issue is that, of course, we want to remember his career and, indeed, I shared the same goal as Ray just shared but, fucking hell, this is another person killed by police taser.

I hope that this publicises the issue rather than just relegating it to a sports story. I am pretty sure it will.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

Yes, indeed. With any death, you always hope that it can in some way improve life for others.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

I still feel very sad at this news but now feel very, very angry.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

This story is going to get worse. Didn't know about the Marcus Bent thing but he had a meat cleaver apparently.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

You wonder what the protocols are for using those things on someone who may be under the influence of drink or drugs.

Whatever the circumstances, 48 is no age whatsoever.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

Wonderful, skilful player to watch, the type of forward who scored memorable goals. He was hugely instrumental in Villa's first League Cup trophy in the 90's. Scored that late, crucial away goal in the semi final tie away at Tranmere, then put one past (vale) Les Sealey at Wembley. Did frustrate fans at times and may not have gotten the best from himself but he is well remembered by Villa fans for more than just that goal.

Always been skeptical about those devices, they're a false middle ground and yes I hope this raises skepticism. Saddened to hear about this.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

He was tasered three times according to that Mirror story linked to above.

That's got to be an over-rection, surely. If you need to use it three times what's the point of using it at all. There's a lot about how providing these kinds of weapons mean police 'resort' to them much more quickly.

I'm shocked. This is just sad, sad, sad.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

Indeed. Tragic, and almost certainly unnecessary
                                      This case became one of the most notorious police incidents in recent history here in Canada.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

Absolutely gutted. He and I were almost the same age...as well as that Wimbledon goal, I'll never forget him hitting the crossbar v Man Utd when we beat them in the League Cup final...I lived in Bristol at the time and was watching it on TV. Tony Daley came flying down the left wing and put in a cross to Dalian who hit in on the volley with such power that I'm sure I heard the crossbar "twanging" from my home! Kanchelskis was sent off when he hand balled the shot off the rebound...

A proper proper football our Dalian...RIP

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

Very early to know exactly what has happened here but it's looking like another black man killed by the police, perhaps the fact that he's relatively famous might make a difference here and prompt some kind of independent inquiry rather than it being swept under the carpet..

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

Atkinson's nephew is very impressive in the video on that story. I'm not sure I could remain so calm and eloquent if a family member had been killed in such questionable circumstances.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

I wouldn't bet on that - did anything ever come of the investigation into Smiley Culture's death-while-being-apprehended?

Poor old Dalian, always liked him as a player. RIP.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

Awful news, especially given the terrible circumstances and the questionable use of force.

That Mirror article Bored links to though makes you bang your head over their 'journalism' when the author hamfistedly attempts to manufacture fake pathos out of Dalian's "poignant last tweet" ("See you later guys! It's been emotional!"), completely free of context, despite the clear datestamp on it demonstrating that it was posted no less than 31 months ago in January 2014. As if the event wasn't sad enough on its own, the manipulative fucking cretin.

Comment

Dalian Atkinson

Yes, apologies for the link but it was the one with most information at that stage of the day.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X