Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Murder on the Orient Express : weekend match going

Wimbledon 1 Bolton Wanderers 2

A promising performance but frustrating result for The Dons. Playing a team that was two divisions above them last season there was no gap in class (in fact the home side probably edged it) but defensive blunders gave Bolton two goals from their only shots on target.

A few words for Gavin Ward, the referee who reached new levels of incompetence. Here are just the highlights ;

- so unaware of play that he managed to block a pass in one Wimbledon attack and then actually close down and dispossess a Don's midfielder in a subsequent one.

- so confused about the game he booked Wimbledon's captain for time-wasting over a throw in when his team were behind in the 80th minute and the linesman had hour showed "WAIT!" to the player to allow a substitution.

Has he got a previous bad reputation, he was a shocker?

Comment

Trip to the east end of Leeds to watch possibly the only club in England to share their name with a Scottish League side, East End Park. Not a lot at the ground, although there appears to have been a fairly big bit of terracing at some point - there is a grass bank along one side which has steps peaking out here and there.

EEP were much the better side for most of the game but found themselves level, 2-2, at half time. They retook the lead a couple of minutes into the second half and didn't look back from there. I thought it finished 5-2 but the league website has it as 6-2. Either way a good start to the season for the home side.

Comment

Hayes & Yeading United 0-1 Leamington in the Southern League.

The ground is still a bit of a building site and there is also the skeleton of an old stand in the car park behind the goal. Should look nice when it's finished though.

Comment

Don't rush them. They've only had four and a half years to complete it.

Comment

Sport 1 Flamengo 0

Another World Cup stadium ticked off the list. My previous criticism about the lack of transport links was unfair - an efficient and cheap Metro and shuttle bus combo.

Sport deserved their win. Rogério was excellent for them and Flamengo, despite a lot of possession, didn't create a single clear cut chance. By the end, the ref was so fed up with Guerrero's non-stop moaning that he stopped the game and ran 50 yards to book him. I wouldn't have waited nearly as long.

Comment

Harrogate Railway Athletic v AFC Mansfield , Northern Counties East League.

Knowing I was at the Test Match the day before, and unsure as to what state (both physical and geographically) I might be in come the morning, I hadn't made any plans for the Saturday. However, come the event, I'd cleared my allotment out in Swindon the day before, so the cricket was spent eating peas, drinking water and watching the event. An early finish meant I was back up north and in a reasonable state for a game on Saturday.

I had vague recollections of seeing an advert in the Metro during the week, for a large scale model aeroplane show somewhere near York. A quick check revealed this, so off we went. The 0841 off Sowerby is the one a day that goes direct to York, the new planters bringing the station to life.

On approach to York, and Network Rail have got the snow ploughs out, ready for September.

Into the cathedral-esque York station.

A 1000 arrival into York coincided with the opening of the York Tap, where a Kent - Black Gold, and a Summer Wine - Wingman were enjoyed. For decades this was RailRiders World - a huge model railway run by a transsexual with an obsession for nudist scenes. About five years ago it was shut down and taken over by the mob who have the station taps at York and Harrogate. The outcome is a very pleasant bar with a far reaching selection of beers, albeit at some fairly substantial prices.

York is one of the strangest places for buses, as double decker routes are dictated by whereabouts the Romans had the foresight to build entrances in the city walls, big enough to accommodate them.

Elvington has about three buses a day, therefore my opening move entailed a bus to the mysterious 'Yorkshire Maze' and a walk from there.

Despite being tempted by other offerings on the way….

…..I stayed true to my destination.

Intrigued as to what the Yorkshire Maze actually was, a labyrinth, a crop producer, or a sectarian prison, I had a quick look.

It turns out it is actually a series of mazes made out of maize, but not designed to keep petrol bombers in captivity. It has designs such as this.

Or this one, celebrating 50 years of Fergal Sharkey.

However, this caught my imagination. Disappointingly, proceedings didn't start until 1400.

I headed off. Grass verges of A roads are very similar to those of B roads, but with less decaying badgers.

After a particularly harrowing walk, the airfield was spied.

Elvington was a WW2 airfield, being used for Halifax bomber raids on the Ruhr, initially by the British, but then becoming a French base. After the war, it was taken over by the US airforce who greatly extended it. However, they immediately departed and the base was kept on as a strategic reserve by the RAF. The Americans had inadvertently created an awesome race track with the improvements so it has been used for motor sport since the 1960s.

The base is also home to the Yorkshire air museum. It has planes like this….

….and like this.

However, this was my favourite exhibit, an aeroplane tow bar. It is like seeing a whale’s dick on TV, yes I’ve got one of those but how do you possibly use one that big?

Unfortunately, the model show was at the far end of the runway, which was nearer to York than the entrance. Bloody Americans.

Over 500 aircrew were killed on flights from the base during the war. To the dismay of the nation, this total wasn’t added to by TV’s faux-racist, Clarkson worshipping, floppy haired dwarf, Richard Hammond. This was the site of his massive crash of a 16 valve Mini Metro or such like, which has kept him in book deals and appearances on Good Morning ever since.

It is fair to say, the attendees are an odd lot, and I speak as someone who goes on railtours. His and hers comedy slogan T-shirts.

But to the show itself.

Basically, pensioners in comedy headware sat on folding seats, infront of a line up of a variety of 1/5 scale planes, which would be flown, one by one.

This bloke had the prime job of carrying around the electric drill which would jump start the prop jets.

Lots of other blokes stood around with fire extinguishers.

The flying was great if you like seeing dots in the sky. Lots of ‘small or far away’ issues with birds and actual planes adding to the confusion.

The best part was the co-commentary. It was proper country show Partridge. “what a delightful handler this plane is” “absolutely Bob, no nastiness whatsoever”

“This is one of the few planes to still have ni-cad batteries, which limits it to seven minutes of power to the servos. After that the plane, if airbourne, just continues on at the same trajectory” “Much the same as that Malaysian Airlines 777-200”

There were stalls where you could buy complete planes…..

….balsa wood, lots of balsa wood…..

…..and inevitably, greek olives. Is it compulsory to have these at every market these days? Or is that authentic French terracotta plant pots?

I attended a master class on preparing and caring for lithium polymer batteries (Lithium Polymer Etiquette: A Comprehensive Guide to Working with LiPo). I learned that their greatest enemy is heat, and to only charge them outdoors, in a dry place.

Armed with that life lesson I headed off. A couple of jets were being flown, which leave a vapour trail. The only reason I would get involved in this hobby would be to draw a massive airborne set of spunking cock and balls.

I headed for a not overly enticing overgrown bus stop….

…and eventually my bird to feedom arrived in the form of a York buses Optare Solo.

I headed back into the city. York has become a massive centre for drinking, and is a no-go area for the civilised on a Saturday afternoon. As it was relatively early, I chanced it by choosing a couple of guide pubs away from the main strip. First of these was the Blue Bell (no swearing, no groups) for a Roosters – Modern Way, and a Brew York – Brew York.

Predictably, there is a branch of the Ossett – Hop chain, this one being a real ale pizzeria. However, it did have an Allgates – Pretoria and a Hop Studio – Dubbel.

My next move was through the tourist traps, the Gillygates….

….and the Shambles, named after the city’s attempts at sustaining a rugby league club.

A quick stop off at the Cheese shop. This is appropriately named if you love your cheese selection to be no different to what you can get at Asda. I went for some Doddington - Berwick Edge, Fen Farm - Baron Bigod, and Shepherds Purse – Harrogate Blue.

I headed back to the station, over the River Derwent, which claims the life of about one weekend drinker per month.

Arriving back at the station, just as the skinny jeans and button down shirt brigade hit the town. If ever there was an Emmerdale Farm – The Musical, York on a weekend is what the closing night after show party for the extras would be like.

I was heading across the dales to Harrogate.

Joy upon joy, a pair of pacers, but a quite rare 144/142 combination.

The original Leyland National bus bodied 142 on the right, the more refined Alexander body of the 144 on the left.

The first stop on the line is Poppleton, which, under BR, housed the most sought after track and trains on the network.

British Railways was almost entirely self sufficient, for instance having its own power stations, concrete works and timber supply for sleepers. An example of this is that Poppleton was the railway nursery, where plants were grown and then sent for planting at stations all over the Eastern Region.

Movement of materials around the nursery was naturally done by railways, a quite extensive narrow gauge system being in place. Because it was owned by BR, it appeared on its stock register, hence train spotters wanting a ride on it.

By the 1980s, non core activities such as this had been sold off (others being Sealink, Swallow Hotels, BREL/ML). Fortunately, the site was bought out by the manager and has carried on as a nursery, with the rail system.

Through Knaresborough, looking down onto the River Nidd from the castellated viaduct parapet.

I alighted at Starbeck, on the outskirts of Harrogate.

Some retro liveried, pre-privatisation National Bus Company action outside the station.

On the right way.

Approaching the ground, with some proud signage on the adjacent sports complex.

So here we are.

Harrogate Railway Athletic 1 v AFC Mansfield 2, Toolstation Northern Counties East League, Premier Division.

The club was started in the 1930s by workers at the adjacent loco shed, and were called Starbeck LNER. They changed their name to Harrogate Railway in 1946 and moved up through the Harrogate and Yorkshire leagues, founding the NCEL in the early eighties. They were promoted to the Northern Premier in 2006 but were relegated last season back to the Northern Counties East.

AFC Mansfield were formed in 2012 as a breakaway from Mansfield Town. They started in the Central Midlands league but have a lot of money behind them and have raced through the leagues. They have a squad of players that have mostly played at much higher levels.

With nationalisation of the LNER in 1947, one of its last acts was to sell the ground to the football club, through payroll deductions from the railway workers in the area.

With last week being the FA cup, this was the start of the league season.

Of note was the absolutely immaculate state of the pitch. It was like a bowling green throughout, and negates the need for 3G.

It did have a massive side to side slope on it.

There is an area of seating behind the goal.

On the halfway line is an atcost pre-fab. However, it is raised up and has a smart facia, showing what can be done with these things.

Prime area was the tree shaded terrace on the far touch line.

In 2007 ‘the rail’ reached the FA Cup second round and the tie against Mansfield was televised. Remnants of the camera positions survive.

Evidence of close season repairs.

The floodlights had large control cabinets attached, and as these were pitchside, have been shrouded in padding and then shrink wrapped, like custom-beating suitcases.

The ornate old entrance to the ground, with a Knaresborough bound DMU passing behind.

For reasons that I don’t know, the club badge has a beaver on it, which led to various punning stickers. Hampton need to learn from this.

Harrogate had most of the early play, bringing a number of saves.

Mansfield then thought they had scored, but it was ruled out for offside.

The worlds oldest full kit wanker, including boots and beer can.

Whilst taking a picture of full kit wanker, I dropped my phone and the uneven concrete smashed the screen. This meant I became an equally wanky ‘using an ipad to take photos’.

Half time was 0-0 and a chance to enjoy a Theakstons Tripple in the clubhouse. The chance to purchase a club branded inflatable sheep. It must be a unique marketing tactic to use the strap line “as seen at Slough”.

As well as a scarf listing all the NPL teams, an excellent Pennant display. Fairview Rangers, Alfreton, Esh Winning….

….Glossop North End, Prescott Cables, Spennymour, Cammel Laird, Blyth Spartans, Tow Law.

The second half started at a lively rate.

Both teams had chances. Before Harrogate conceded a very dubious penalty.

However, this was well saved by the keeper.

Harrogate then went up the other end and scored from a free kick.

To which Mansfield immediately got another penalty, which strangely, the keeper took and scored.

Mansfield went on to score another, and 1-2 was how the very entertaining game ended.

Leaving the ground, and I saw the first ever step 7 club car.

The walk back to the station passed some very ornate gothic benches….

…and also a homage to the excellent town brewery.

My train arrived, passing the still functioning signal box (the signal on the left has an SB plate, denoting it is controlled from Starbeck).

Into the rather depressing bastion of concrete that is half of Harrogate station.

I headed to the station tap for a Roosters – White Rose.

Then the Blues Bar for a Roosters – Accomplice.

Next, the Old Bell Tavern for a Leeds – Summer.

On to Hales bar for the local Daleside and a Hales Ale and an Old Legover.

Harrogate is mostly full of pretentious arseholes, trying to make money from other pretentious arseholes, and the pubs reflect this. Therefore it was almost with relief I found a hipster bar.

Strangely, you had to go through a vintage shop….

…and the bar was located out the back. A decent selection was enjoyed with a Summer Wine – Oregon, Roosters – Major Tom, and a Thornbridge – Brock.

It was then back to the station, for a train into Leeds.

I’d had a look at the stock workings, and this train then forms a Manchester service, so I got to stay on it.

Back into Sowerby Bridge at a sociable time.

This meant a visit to the Jubille Rooms for an Abbeydale Carouser. It was also good to see the legendary ‘Pub Paper’ is back after a couple of weeks off. This lists what ales are on at every pub that sells cask beer in the Calder Valley, a great help for conquering new beers, and the benchmark for CAMRA publications everywhere.

Charging Times.

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote:
                I headed back into the city. York has become a massive centre for drinking, and is a no-go area for the civilised on a Saturday afternoon.
                Heh, having been on a branch CAMRA trip round the pubs of York yesterday afternoon, I can vouch for this.

Also got to sit on that bench outside the Blue Bell later on talking football with an Ipswich supporter and an Everton fan from Redcar.

Superb stuff BB&F.

Comment

Poor old HORN, what a shocking game to have chosen to break your Brisbane Road duck. Though most games have been like that here in the past two years. Where in the ground were you?

Comment

Every BB&F match report I read, I think to myself, "that was the best one yet".

That was the best on yet. I cannot comprehend how you fit so much into a single day.

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote:
                      The first stop on the line is Poppleton, which, under BR, housed the most sought after track and trains on the network.

British Railways was almost entirely self sufficient, for instance having its own power stations, concrete works and timber supply for sleepers. An example of this is that Poppleton was the railway nursery, where plants were grown and then sent for planting at stations all over the Eastern Region.

Movement of materials around the nursery was naturally done by railways, a quite extensive narrow gauge system being in place. Because it was owned by BR, it appeared on its stock register, hence train spotters wanting a ride on it.

By the 1980s, non core activities such as this had been sold off (others being Sealink, Swallow Hotels, BREL/ML). Fortunately, the site was bought out by the manager and has carried on as a nursery, with the rail system.
                      Ah, home! I grew up a few doors up from the station and used to piss about on the railway gear in the nursery with my friends. My mum is still there and so I'm still there regularly (in fact, I staggered back there after the York game yesterday), and she's a regular satisfied customer of the nursery.

Comment

Cardiff City 0 v 2 Queens Park Rangers

I'm 2 for 2 in the away end of the CCFC stadium now. Last time I saw QPR play, at Bristol City in December, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink had just taken over. What a difference eight months makes.

True, they still dithered on the ball quite a bit, and opted not to play the ball forward as often as they could have, but defensively they looked solid, the players looked more at ease on the ball, and leaden-footed striker Sebastian Polter has gained something like cult hero status. He has his own song in tribute to "the big fucking German" and everything.

Cardiff were fairly poor. QPR won enough headers in the box to eventually score from one with 15 minutes to go. Polter is good at holding off other players, what with him being a big fucking German and all, and somehow contrived to win a penalty a few minutes later having won a throw in to everyone's bemusement a minute earlier. (The ball didn't go out. The ref blew for a phantom infringement then decided it was a throw in and the lino signalled it afterwards.) The converted penalty made it 2-0 and the home crowd streamed out to the taunt 'Is it a fire drill?'

My QPR supporting mate was very happy. The Rs are now top of the league. There seems to be an air of despond at CCFC at the moment. Even the mascot seemed a bluer bird than usual, spending most of the first half behind the goal just watching the game, his little wings sadly slumped at his sides, head slightly bowed.

Comment

I see from a few photos on my timeline that the attendance for that match would have shamed the Canoe Slalom in Rio.

Comment

Yep. None of the red seats in the extension were sold. The corners seemed empty all round the ground, except for the away fans section. There were a lot of empty seats visible even in the Canton Stand where the hardcore fans sit/stand.

At 90 minutes I reckon a good 40% of the Cardiff fans had already gone.

Comment

longeared wrote:
                              Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE!
                              I headed back into the city. York has become a massive centre for drinking, and is a no-go area for the civilised on a Saturday afternoon.
                              Heh, having been on a branch CAMRA trip round the pubs of York yesterday afternoon, I can vouch for this.

Also got to sit on that bench outside the Blue Bell later on talking football with an Ipswich supporter and an Everton fan from Redcar.

Superb stuff BB&F.
                              I've also sat on that bench outside the Blue Bell. There's some cracking pubs in York. Also an O'Neills, which I had to go to as it was the only place showing the NZ one dayers last year.

Never been out on a Saturday arvo there though.

Comment

steveeeeeeeee wrote: Every BB&F match report I read, I think to myself, "that was the best one yet".

That was the best on yet. I cannot comprehend how you fit so much into a single day.
                                My personal favourite was the one towards the end of last season with the bus full of pensioners and the very camp bus driver.

I'd happily pay for BB&F's beer if I went on one of these trips. I'd probably need to have a sleep during the actual football though.

Comment

Gambrinus wrote:
                                  Originally posted by longeared
                                  Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE!

Superb stuff BB&F.
                                  I've also sat on that bench outside the Blue Bell. There's some cracking pubs in York. Also an O'Neills, which I had to go to as it was the only place showing the NZ one dayers last year.

Never been out on a Saturday arvo there though.
                                  To write the whole place off as no-go is a bit harsh - the idiots tend to stick to the same areas and there are plenty of out-of-the-way places where you can avoid all that nonsense. The hordes descending from Teeside in particular every Saturday have become a bit of an issue in recent years though, it's true, prompting much handwringing. At first there was even someone posted outside the station with a sandwich board with 'This way to the pubs' on it, but now the reputation has got so bad I think the council would rather dissuade drinkers from coming. The station is chaotic in the evening, with no alcohol allowed and trains back to Boro being dry. I can fully appreciate why people would be put off coming at the moment.

Comment

Gambrinus wrote:
                                    Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee
                                    Every BB&F match report I read, I think to myself, "that was the best one yet".

My personal favourite was the one towards the end of last season with the bus full of pensioners and the very camp bus driver.

I'd happily pay for BB&F's beer if I went on one of these trips. I'd probably need to have a sleep during the actual football though.
                                    The first one I remember was photos of Faroese football grounds taken from a bus as it drove past them. IIRC BB&F was travelling round the Faroe Islands ticking off tunnels between the islands.

Comment

Working...
                                    X