Those crap officials behind the goal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have they actually been of any use so far? I was reminded of this when we were talking about Martin Skrtel's assault in the first Wales game against Slovakia which was a decision that such officials were supposed to be for yet didn't pick up.

You lot watch far more international and European club matches than I do - are they any use?

There have been plenty of examples of the Additional Assistant Referees, to give them their official title, making decisions. At the Euros, the penalties awarded to Romania against France and to Portugal against Austria were awarded by the AAR. In the former, the AAR enjoyed a better view of the challenge, and in the latter his intervention was even better as the foul was off the ball so the referee was never going to see it. Germany's late penalty against Italy in the Euro 2012 semi was another. They're the big-game examples that stand-out, but I have routinely seen decisions being made by the AAR. The delay in the whistle being blown is evidence of this, as well as it being visible that the AAR is communicating something to the referee.

What the whole experiment with the extra officials has shown us is that where two major issues in the game - holding & pulling by defenders at set-pieces and the correct interpretation of incidents that should or should not result in a penalty kick - are concerned, the problem has not been the lack of officials viewing these incidents, but the lack of courage to make the correct decision. Martin Skrtel's assault was seen by the officials but they just didn't want to award a straight red card that early in the game. Likewise, the Celtic v Juventus game in the CL a few years back when Juve's defenders rugby tackled Celtic players continuously at set-pieces was seen by the officials, but they just didn't have the balls to award a penalty.

Personally, in the absence of courage where it's needed, I'd rather they were done away with. But I also wish that commentators or pundits would acknowledged when they've intervened, and also understand that just because he's standing still doesn't necessarily mean he isn't getting involved.

Comment

The Skrtel incident happened in the 32nd minute of the game. Do these people think they can't send someone off if it's the first half?

Likewise, the Celtic v Juventus game in the CL a few years back when Juve's defenders rugby tackled Celtic players continuously at set-pieces was seen by the officials, but they just didn't have the balls to award a penalty.
      Typing "lichtsteiner hooper" into Google Images gives some idea of what happened that night. Buffon gave Hooper a whack in the mouth at one point too, which in any normal situation would be an instant red card.

Maybe it was indeed just cowardice by the officials, but then again this is Juventus we are talking about here, so nothing can be ruled out.

Comment

Working...
      X