my Italian isn't quite up to it but ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gazetta dello Sport today appears to be reporting that UEFA are seriously considering a proposal from the top clubs that, in a revamp for the 2018-19 season onwards, one of each of the top eight countries' representatives in the Champions League would be reserved for the best team on its "historical" table, that had not qualified from domestic places.

So in England, the top three would get in, but the 4th spot would go not to 4th place, but to the best historical team that had thus missed out. So too in Italy, Spain, and Germany. The proposal seems specifically designed so that Milan would never miss out again. In countries like Portugal and Holland, with at least two entrants, it would similarly mean Benfica and Ajax being certain of qualification every year.

This could be jolly good news for Liverpool, of course (until such time as Man United overtake them on the "historical" table). And potentially, if England's top three did include Liverpool, Man United and AN Other (let's say Arsenal for safety's sake), incredible news for Nottingham Forest, who presumably must rank at least 4th on any such table of English clubs after the three BRCs?

I wouldn't have thought they'll be thinking of the likes of Forest, they're probably thinking of the team with the highest coefficient who didn't qualify, so if a Champions League perennial has a bad season they don't miss out.

So, as you suggest, Milan, Ajax, Benfica, Man United etc will always qualify.

Because it's what the fans want, the same teams playing each other year after year after year.

Comment

Why would ritual humiliation in the qualifiers be a good thing for Liverpool?

Comment

The current system was expressly designed so that Milan would never miss out again,

Comment

How would they rig the coefficient if Milan have a really disastrous few years, or Juventus get relegated again?

OTOH if you are guaranteed entry, your coefficient is automatically boosted, so it's a circle. May as well make it an invitational event.

Comment

Working...
          X