X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday vs Villa

Speaking of which...

Twats v Wankers

I think we all know who we're talking about here.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Kevchenko wrote:
      Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan
      I think the "Glasgow" bit came from the practice of commentators in European games to append the city on to the name of the team playing, so we came to know clubs like Red Star Belgrade, Inter Milan, Austria Vienna, etc. Presumably fans in those countries don't need the city name to know who they're talking about, in the context of domestic football.
      Inter are actually FC Internazionale Milano. As you say, they are known just as 'Inter' to people who know who they are, but 'Inter Milan' is a not-unacceptable contraction in English.

'Sporting Lisbon', though, are Sporting Clube de Portugal and just 'Sporting' for short. The 'Lisbon' is an example of the sort of thing you are talking about.
      While ironically their rivals are actually in full called Sport Lisboa e Benfica.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Patrick Thistle wrote: That's useful info Sam. I dont think I'd have done that myself but it's useful to have that knowledge as a potential way of spotting twats.
        I wouldn't say they're twats as such. It just always baffles me that people will show an interest having, it would seem, never paid attention to a single article on the club(s) before. As I say, it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Hibernian v Thistle, every knows it's Edinburgh v Partick. Although ICT have Thistle in their name I never hear anyone call them that.
          We've also got Morton, no need for Greenock to be mentioned, and Accies is always Hamilton although they do tend to be called Hamilton more often than not. Indeed thinking about it 'Accies' sounds more like a rugby team.

In the Highland league you've got Mechanics and Loco and also Clachnacuddin, perhaps not household names outside of Scotland but clearly Forres, Inverurie and Inverness to us.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Ray de Galles wrote:
            Originally posted by Hot Orange
            Orient v Vale?
            Does anyone refer to Port Vale as "Vale"?
            Yes, people from Stoke-on-Trent. It's rather common local usage, probably more so than saying the full name. That and 'Valiants'.

For example:- http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/port-vale-mixed-fortunes-for-rob-page-and-former-valiants/story-29593880-detail/story.html

Patrick Thistle wrote: Their fans used to sing Boom Boom Boom Let Me Hear You Say Vale. Vaaaaaale.

But normal people wouldn't call them Vale, no.
            Well, erm, yeah. Being a Vale fan is a not an indicator or normalcy, I would agree.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

AMMS wrote: Hibernian v Thistle, every knows it's Edinburgh v Partick.
              Obviously, I am not Scottish but surely it is Hibs vs Jags?

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Oddly, I have to say that, being amongst the Bath Wednesday enclave this evening, I assumed that the thread title was about the match as I seem to have been talking about it all night.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Rangers, I suppose, is just QPR, and I think QPR fans use that term,

Mostly shortened to "Rs." or "You Rs" to be strictly accurate.
                  I've asked before but when did the fashion become you refer to all teams as "YOU (insert nickname here) " as per this dreadful "COY..." initialism.

Did it stem from one club and spread?

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

I don't know. But it was heard at Loftus Road in the early 70s.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Morton are a bit of an odd one, they didn't have "Greenock" in their name for the first hundred-odd years of their existence, and then - despite everybody knowing where they hailed from - they felt it necessary to add the town's name in the mid 90s.

Similar story in England with Orient - they didn't have their locale in their name, then they did, then they changed locale (and so name), then dropped it, and then brought it back.

"Accies" really depends on what sport you follow - most of Scotland will assume Hamilton, but the rugger crowd would think automatically of Edinburgh.

Comment

Working...
                      X