Wednesday vs Villa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday vs Villa

No this is not a thread to gloat about the fact that the season started nicely for my club yesterday (though, while we're here, get the fuck in), but rather to observe that there are very few fixtures in the English league calendar which could be normally expressed in this way, with the clubs' second names only making it obvious which teams were playing. Other teams with unique names (such as Tottenham or Crewe) tend to shorten their moniker, such that we would recognise Spurs vs Alex, but not expect to see the fuller version. Rangers, I suppose, is just QPR, and I think QPR fans use that term, but possibly the wider supporter community might not just because even though they're not in England "Rangers" has a more commonly understood team attached to it

Are there other teams in the top 4 flights that i have missed (please nobody mention the franchise team which have stolen their name as they have attempted to steal their teams history)? Are there any other fixtures like Wednesday vs Villa (or Villa vs Wednesday) that have this property?

Wednesday vs Villa

Palace vs Albion?

Edit: forgot Burton.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Argyle v Palace

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Forest v Argyle?

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Albion is Brighton, West Bromwich and Burton, so they're out. Palace, Forest, Argyle are all good calls

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

North End vs Stanley?

Bit tenuous mind.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Not tenuous, I think. They work, I'd say.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Orient v Vale?

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Orient? (Edit, bah!)

Anyway, as this thread is here, let me also gloat at the fact that the blue-with-a-tiny-bit-of-white wizards won. On our way etc.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

ad hoc wrote: Not tenuous, I think. They work, I'd say.
                    How? Surely nobody refers to Preston as 'North End'? (I'd imagine most would say 'Accrington' as well.)

Celtic and Rangers seem obvious shouts. So much so, that that's how they're both now formally known.

Meanwhile, Newcastle's fans are so disenfranchised that they refer to their 'United' as 'Toon'.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Well done to you, quite a good game I thought. If Bacuna and Westwood are dropped and dropped for good then I'll be reasonably positive about the season. I already enjoyed it far more than last season because at least we had a chance of winning.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Celtic and Rangers seem obvious shouts. So much so, that that's how they're both now formally known.

Are we talking about Stalybridge and Stafford here? Cos neither of the Scottish ones has ever had the word "Glasgow" in their name.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Interesting - so any use of 'Glasgow' in the past was an addition, rather than its non-use an omission?

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

I think the "Glasgow" bit came from the practice of commentators in European games to append the city on to the name of the team playing, so we came to know clubs like Red Star Belgrade, Inter Milan, Austria Vienna, etc. Presumably fans in those countries don't need the city name to know who they're talking about, in the context of domestic football.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

'Arsenal London' is a common usage on the continent.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

If you're publishing a table and you have to abbreviate for space, I'd say "Villa" and "Palace" would be chosen ahead of the first word, whereas "Argyle" wouldn't be.

It's one of those tests for Nazi spies: if they wrote "West B.A.", or "W.H. United" it was OK to shoot them.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Rogin the Armchair fan wrote: I think the "Glasgow" bit came from the practice of commentators in European games to append the city on to the name of the team playing, so we came to know clubs like Red Star Belgrade, Inter Milan, Austria Vienna, etc. Presumably fans in those countries don't need the city name to know who they're talking about, in the context of domestic football.
                                  Inter are actually FC Internazionale Milano. As you say, they are known just as 'Inter' to people who know who they are, but 'Inter Milan' is a not-unacceptable contraction in English.

'Sporting Lisbon', though, are Sporting Clube de Portugal and just 'Sporting' for short. The 'Lisbon' is an example of the sort of thing you are talking about.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Hot Orange wrote: Orient v Vale?
                                    Does anyone refer to Port Vale as "Vale"?

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

No.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Their fans used to sing Boom Boom Boom Let Me Hear You Say Vale. Vaaaaaale.

But normal people wouldn't call them Vale, no.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Rangers, I suppose, is just QPR, and I think QPR fans use that term,

Mostly shortened to "Rs." or "You Rs" to be strictly accurate.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

Kevchenko wrote: Inter are actually FC Internazionale Milano. As you say, they are known just as 'Inter' to people who know who they are, but 'Inter Milan' is a not-unacceptable contraction in English.
                                            Unfortunately the Germans do it as well (Inter Mailand).

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

On reflection I think Palace and Vale belong in a separate category, since they dont refer toteams from places called Crystal and Port

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

No-one here's done it, as far as I know, but in case this thread gets found in Google by people who wonder, it seems like a good place to mention that 'Plate' and 'Juniors' are under absolutely no fucking circumstances acceptable ways to refer to Argentina's two biggest clubs (and the latter's no good for Argentinos, either).

I get tweets and emails calling them that, from time to time.

Comment

Wednesday vs Villa

That's useful info Sam. I dont think I'd have done that myself but it's useful to have that knowledge as a potential way of spotting twats.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X