Longest gap between caps with fewest appearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking a few dates on new Argentina manager Edgardo Bauza's Wikipedia page for a piece I'm doing, I've stumbled upon the fact that he made his Argentina debut as a player in 1981, and played his last game for them in 1990, but only made three international appearances overall. His first appearance was a friendly against Poland on the 28th October 1980 and his last two were friendlies against Mexico and Scotland on, respectively, the 17th January and 28th March 1990.

Eight and a half years between debut and last appearance seems like quite a long time for someone who only won three caps, but it can't be a record, can it? Surely there's someone somewhere who went a decade or more between their only two national team appearances?

(I'm willing to bet there might even be an Argentine who's done it, but I have to get this article finished and stop wasting time on this post now.)

I'll start the bidding with Ian Callaghan,4 Caps for England spread over 11 years 1966-1977

Comment

Beaten to it, Ian Callaghan surely has to be the yardstick here. I don't think he played for England BETWEEN 1966 and 1977.

Comment

John Traicos made his test cricket debut for South Africa in 1970 and played his final test, his seventh, in 1993 (for Zimbabwe). Of course South Africa were excluded for most of the intervening years but still an unusual record.

Edit: cricket has a few of these actually. Brian Close - debut 1949, last game 1976. 22 tests in 27 years.

Comment

Vasilis Hatzipanagis - two caps for Greece (not sure whether his USSR appearances count due to them only being for the Olympic squad). Debut in 1976, second cap in 1999.

There are mitigating circumstances regarding the 23 year gap... a lot to do with the whole Soviet thing.

Comment

Completely off the topic, but Andy Cole's first four international caps came under four different England managers. That has to be unique shoehoohurely?

Comment

Martin Bicknell is another good one in cricket - two Tests for England in 1993, two in 2003, nothing in between. He wasn't injured or gone on a rebel tour or anything, they just didn't pick him.

Comment

Roy Carroll made his full international debut in 1997 and was NI's regular keeper in WC 2002 qualifying. He then fell out of favour and started only two* of our 50 competitive games from 2002 to 2011 before reclaiming the shirt in 2012.

* Only actually finishing one, as he was injured against Spain in 2006

Comment

The Scottish champion at this sort of thing is probably Brian O'Neil - seven caps in nine years between 1996 and 2005.

Comment

For the US, it's probably Marcus Hahnemann: 9 total caps, and a gap between the end of 1994 to a friendly v New Zealand in Richmond in 2003.

Comment

Working...
                    X