Chances with Wolves: Weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the season starts tomorrow. Unless you're Fulham or Newcastle...

Rotherham United v Wolverhampton Wanderers for me. M1 permitting...

Wembley on Sunday for the Community Shield. Free ticket courtesy of the son-in-law "winning" some kind of competiton on Facebook. Have seen the tickets and they are genuine and better still, in the Leicester part of the ground.

Luckily we had decided not to prostitute ourselves to East Midlands Trains even before the landslip at Barrow and are going via coach instead from Sheffield, which means an early start and a late end to the day.

Comment

Charlton down at Gigg. We released Chris Kirkland yesterday without him having played a game, so I'm interested to see which keeper we have on the bench given that Ben Williams will start.

Not really excited, just steeling myself for another nine months of grnding tedium.

A Charlton fan has posted on Facebook that they're taking a flag commemorating Lee Rigby to the game which has been touted as appropriate because Rigby was a Fusilier, who were based in Bury, though he wasn't a Bury fan. Not sure how I feel about that.

Comment

Cambridge vs Barnet. Proceeded by nipping to B&Q to buy a new extractor fan for the bathroom. It's all go, isn't it?

Considered going to the Community Shield, but thought better of it as the only tickets left by the time SeeTickets system recognised my membership were all up in the gods. I reckon I'll have a better view of the action on TV!

Comment

Er, cricket. Yorkshire v Warwickshire at Headingley, back up plan of going to Harrogate Railway Athletic if the match finishes unexpectedly early or it rains.

I'm not paying forty two pounds to see Wednesday pummel the Villa on Sunday, though may donate a few quid to the pub industry watching it.

Comment

Giggler wrote: Charlton down at Gigg. We released Chris Kirkland yesterday without him having played a game, so I'm interested to see which keeper we have on the bench given that Ben Williams will start.

Not really excited, just steeling myself for another nine months of grnding tedium.

A Charlton fan has posted on Facebook that they're taking a flag commemorating Lee Rigby to the game which has been touted as appropriate because Rigby was a Fusilier, who were based in Bury, though he wasn't a Bury fan. Not sure how I feel about that.
            You ought to trump it with a flag for Tony Rigby.

I'm off to Birmingham v Cardiff tomorrow, meeting up with a guy I used to have a season-ticket with many years ago, and who I haven't seen for nearly a year.

Not expecting fireworks on the pitch, but then again, I can't say I'm *that* bothered about the detail anymore. Just as long as it's a good day out, doesn't rain, both teams try to score goals, then that'll do.

Comment

Tonight: OPS Oulu - TP-47 Tornio.

Tomorrow: Tervarit - FC Santa Claus B and ONS Oulu - FC Honka Espoo.

Sunday: FC Hercules - FC Santa Claus A

Don't expect a BB&F-style report afterwards. No pubs nearby for starters...

Comment

Kryvbas Gripper Rih wrote:

You ought to trump it with a flag for Tony Rigby.

I'm off to Birmingham v Cardiff tomorrow, meeting up with a guy I used to have a season-ticket with many years ago, and who I haven't seen for nearly a year.

Not expecting fireworks on the pitch, but then again, I can't say I'm *that* bothered about the detail anymore. Just as long as it's a good day out, doesn't rain, both teams try to score goals, then that'll do.
                Oh god.

Tony Rigby versus Birmingham:
                https://vine.co/v/eBhOK1lPT2D

And Tony Rigby versus Preston. The greatest goal ever scored:
                https://vine.co/v/eBhDXKXMhF5

Comment

I'm thinking of going to Newport Pagnell Town vs Biggleswade United in the FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round, however wrong it feels to be starting the season with an FA Cup tie.

Comment

Janik wrote: Cambridge vs Barnet. Proceeded by nipping to B&Q to buy a new extractor fan for the bathroom. It's all go, isn't it?
                    Do they ever check for people using the Newmarket Road shops for matchday parking?

Comment

I'm at Ascot United v Milton United at The (other) Racecourse Ground in the Cup tonight.

Had hoped to do a couple of new (to me) Speedway tracks on Saturday & Sunday but family stuff has arisen which has postponed those plans for a week or two.

Still may get to either Hoddesden Town v Stansted or St Margeretsbury v Long Melford in the Cup on Saturday though.

Comment

Woking v Lincoln. Expecting decent crowd and coming away with bugger all points as ever. I hate going to Woking.

Comment

Kaiserslautern v. Hannover 96 in the 2. Liga curtain-raiser this evening.

Over 30,000 tickets have already been sold for the match, so that should guarantee a decent atmosphere. Assuming that my bus and train connections all come in on time, I should make it to the Benderhof for a pre-match pint before yomping up the hill to the Betze.

Comment

I have left the Olympic tourists, the traffic chaos and the armed soldiers on my street corner for a couple of weeks and am in Aracajú, state capital of Sergipe.

Looking forward to some Série C action on Sunday - Confiança v Cuiabá.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote:
                              Originally posted by Janik
                              Cambridge vs Barnet. Proceeded by nipping to B&Q to buy a new extractor fan for the bathroom. It's all go, isn't it?
                              Do they ever check for people using the Newmarket Road shops for matchday parking?
                              I think they are CCTV monitored, with a 2 hour maximum stay before a hefty parking bill kicks in. Which ought to stop people. Besides Newmarket Road jams up silly on the town side of the stadium after games, so I wouldn't want to park there anyway. I usually park at the top end of/on the grass next to Barnwell Road.

It was very forward thinking of United way back in the 1930s to build their stadium next to the (eventual) site of a retail park. Other clubs only came up with that lovely concept in the 80s or 90s.

Comment

Heh. Though of course that's because Cambridge is the only place I know where the out-of-town shopping park is not actually out-of-town.

Comment

JVL wrote: Kaiserslautern v. Hannover 96 in the 2. Liga curtain-raiser this evening.
                                  Hoping to get to the new ground at any time this season?

Comment

Against my better judgement I got another season ticket and so tomorrow it's Salop against that lot from Milton Keynes.

The biggest decision I'll have to make tomorrow is which pub to go to before hand.

That and whether to have a bacon, or fish-finger sandwich for dinner.

Comment

I'm going to watch the Bolshoi Ballet on Saturday afternoon. It's £10 to stand and lean on a railing, so virtually the same experience as non-league football (but no alcohol in sight of the performance area, sadly).

Comment

Tonight is Cullompton v Argyle reserves.

Tomorrow is Stoke Gabrield at 1400 and Topsham reserves at 1600.

Comment

Dalton United v Wyre Villa in the West Lancashire League.

Comment

4:45am start (thanks a lot BT Sport) for the long road trip to Maidstone for York's glorious return to the GM Vauxhall Conference. Hoping to visit Teapot Island before the game. Failing that there are apparently pubs called The Flower Pot, Ye Old Thirsty Pig and The Muggleton Inn. Promising...

Comment

Barnsley are away at Ipswich but I am not going to pay above £30 for a ticket, so I'll be missing Wednesday and Leeds later in the season too.

AFC Emley v Athersley Rec in the FA Cup.

Comment

Bromley v Rovers

New season optimism and all that, will the fabulous on paper forward line gel?

Comment

Down to Abingdon to watch Oxford United U18's vs Plymouth Argyle U18's in the morning followed by the 1st team vs Chesterfield in the afternoon.

Then Sunday ticking of West Ham's new stadium, which will be my 400th ground. Not that many compared to proper groundhoppers, but not to bad for someone who follows a team.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X