Managed but never played for your country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willie Ormond is the only Scotland coach at a World Cup finals who had international caps. Jock Stein included.

Comment

jwdd27 wrote: That's correct, although Karl did play in Wales for Caernarfon and Oswestry, but was not really even of that standard as a player.

I was surprised that Luton manager Nathan Jones (born Rhondda) was never called up, had a fairly decent career in the mid-lower leagues, and it was back when Wales were shit.
      Oswestry is in England. Barely. Although the club were founder members of the FAW which is why they could play in the Welsh system. (TNS bought them out and now play in Oswestry.)

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Reflecting the fact that "management" has been a recognised occupation in North American sports since the mid-19th c (as well as a tendency to appoint foreigners), the number of US national team coaches who never got a US cap massively outnumbers those who do.
        But a lot of them were never eligible to play for the US.

Looking up the history of US managers led to this tid-bit, which shows how far the game has come in the US in my lifetime.

In 1973, [Arena] earned his only national team cap as a second-half substitute for Bob Rigby in a 2-0 loss to Israel. National team coach, Gordon Bradley, had called Arena into the national team for an earlier game against Haiti, but Arena could not get time off from his job teaching at a local junior high school. In addition to his single cap with the U.S. soccer team, Arena also played for the national lacrosse team which won the 1974 World Lacrosse Championship and finished runner up in 1978.

Comment

Lars Lagerbäck, Tommy Söderberg and Erik Hamrén for Sweden, off the top of my head.

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote:
            Originally posted by jwdd27
            That's correct, although Karl did play in Wales for Caernarfon and Oswestry, but was not really even of that standard as a player.

I was surprised that Luton manager Nathan Jones (born Rhondda) was never called up, had a fairly decent career in the mid-lower leagues, and it was back when Wales were shit.
            Oswestry is in England. Barely. Although the club were founder members of the FAW which is why they could play in the Welsh system. (TNS bought them out and now play in Oswestry.)
            I know the area a bit as I have a friend who is from between Llansantfraid and Oswestry on the English side. I always used to tell him he was from Total Network Solutions.

Comment

That's good digging, Reed.

Is Gordon Bradley related to the current Bradleys, or is it just a popular surname in US men's football for some reason?

Comment

Sam wrote: That's good digging, Reed.

Is Gordon Bradley related to the current Bradleys, or is it just a popular surname in US men's football for some reason?
                I don't think they're related.

Comment

Working...
                X