Marcelo Bielsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marcelo Bielsa

I think this deserves a thread of its own. Marcelo Bielsa has resigned as Lazio manager after TWO days in the job.

I'm often baffled as to why this guy is treated as a god by certain hipster football hacks. Imagine what they'd be like if he won things.

Marcelo Bielsa

The president of Lazio says that he is going to sue for breach of contract.

Bielsa's people say that after having been promised major reinforcements by Lazio, Bielsa contacted the clubs where those players were currently under contract, only to be told by each of them that Lazio hadn't even initiated negotiations, let alone concluded deals.

Bielsa can be mercurial, but given Lazio's history, I'm inclined to think that this is primarily on the club.

Inzaghi is expected to take over.

Comment

Marcelo Bielsa

ursus arctos wrote: The president of Lazio says that he is going to sue for breach of contract.

Bielsa's people say that after having been promised major reinforcements by Lazio, Bielsa contacted the clubs where those players were currently under contract, only to be told by each of them that Lazio hadn't even initiated negotiations, let alone concluded deals.

Bielsa can be mercurial, but given Lazio's history, I'm inclined to think that this is primarily on the club.

Inzaghi is expected to take over.
      His time at OM ended for the same reasons: a lack of following through on the same type of promises to buy players Bielsa wanted. He is certainly an eccentric guy, but he also seems realistic enough relative to the jobs he accepts: a job at OM or Lazio is not a job at PSG or Juve when it comes to money. I can't believe he asked Lazio to sign Messi, for example.

He had a good run with Athletic Bilbao but in addition to the drama with the grounds crew and the president, he seemed to burn out the players. But there's no denying that he established a style of play and a commitment to the team that radically transformed the Chile national team. At a club level, though, he's never quite lived up to what he did with Newell's.

Comment

Marcelo Bielsa

Lazio supporters express their unhappiness with the club

Comment

Marcelo Bielsa

He's become the major favourite for the Argentina job (being far and away the best qualified candidate who's actually available), and might even take it given Julio Grondona's long since out of the picture. Given Gerardo Martino's reasons for resigning and Bielsa's known low tolerance for being fannied around, though, he might very well not.

Reports here yesterday said the president of Argentina had been talking to him to try and convince him to take the job.

Comment

Working...
          X