Messi Announces International Retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps not coincidentally, Messi has done this at the same age as Pele did (29). In both cases, sheer exhaustion has to be considered a top factor. When does Messi get extended time off? He must be envious of the Dutch getting a summer on the beach.

CONMEBOL must also be criticized for burning out South American players. Too many WCQ games and too many Copas.

A shame. He'd have been a major factor at the next World Cup.

It might just be a strop, of course. Maybe if they let him off qualifying for the next eighteen months, he'll be keener on the olive branch of a place in the finals squad.

Comment

Yeah, my first thought when I saw this was that I'd be wholly unsurprised to see him return for Russia 2018.

Comment

Apparently Mascherano, Di Maria, Aguero, and Lavezzi are also considering retiring from the national team.

I'm assuming that the terrible state of the AFA is playing a big part in any retirement for a few of those players. Better leadership might lead to a change of mind.

Comment

It must be to do with the AFA. Messi is famous for wanting to play in as many matches as possible.

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote: sheer exhaustion has to be considered a top factor.
            The Argentine FA are the top, and possibly only, factor.

I'd be surprised if he's played his last game for Argentina.

Comment

I agree with Sam. I think he'll be back. There's no way he's walking away without a trophy. But I also agree that the needs a break. The guy is used in so many meaningless friendlies, by Barca in matches when he should be rested.

I don't have the stats on qualification but the CONMEBOL qualifiers are often discussed a grueling but I'm trying to figure out how CONMEBOL is any more of a grind than AFC or CONCACAF.

Comment

I suspect it's that even the worst teams in CONMEBOL are fairly decent sides, so there is a level of intensity that you don't necessarily get in AFC or CONCACAF (particularly in early rounds). For example Argentina have played the likes of Chile and Brazil, whilst Australia have been playing sides Bangladesh and Kyrgyzstan.

Comment

dm, both Pep and Luis Enrique have said that Messi was unwilling to sit out matches when they thought he should rest.

That doesn't excuse his constant commercial exploitation by both Barcelona and Argentina.

Comment

Whether Messi wanted to sit or not, I'd assume that both coaches could have used their tools of persuasion to get him to sit.

@PZ: No doubt, the quality of competition in CONMEBOL is high. Even sides that are down (e.g., Paraguay) have been up in recent years and then there is a side like Bolivia that has been down for a long time but has altitude. But still, playing Bangladesh or Krgystan requires insane travel. The games still need to be played. CONCACAF involves less travel but fairly intense away games in Central America. Here we're talking about home and away for round 2, groups for round 3, and a hex for round 4. The total games are probably equal to CONMEBOL. AFC has to be worse. It seems like all teams start in round 2 in groups and the groups just keep going and going (up to a 4th or 5th round--can't remember exactly). And travel is nuts.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: dm, both Pep and Luis Enrique have said that Messi was unwilling to sit out matches when they thought he should rest.

That doesn't excuse his constant commercial exploitation by both Barcelona and Argentina.
                      When I talked to his old youth manager back in April, he made the point that a couple of years ago when he seemed to be in a bit of a slump he was in a lot more ads. He reckoned one of the keys to rediscovering his form had been that a decision had been taken to cut down on his publicity work (like, he still does a load, obviously, but nowhere near as much as he was doing).

Comment

I'm sure it was a strop. Even before his squandered penalty, Messi was showing some irritation at his team's inability to find a cutting edge and secure the Copa - which, after eighteen goals in the previous five matches, they frankly should have done with tread to spare. (I was frustrated just watching it, so God knows how he must've felt.)

After near-identical failure last year, plus the 2014 World Cup, he was always likely to flip out. I hope he returns - Russia 2018 will be a poorer show without him.

Comment

When asked whether that would be his last game he said "I think so". His choice of words leaves a window open. Curiously those were the words used by Maradona in 1990 and he came back three years later.

Comment

Sam wrote:
                            Originally posted by Satchmo Distel
                            sheer exhaustion has to be considered a top factor.
                            The Argentine FA are the top, and possibly only, factor.

I'd be surprised if he's played his last game for Argentina.
                            *Brushes imaginary piece of lint off shoulder*

*Clears throat*

So, anyone else seen Edgardo Bauza's first Argentina squad for the Uruguay and Venezuela qualifiers which was announced on Friday?

Comment

Working...
                            X