Football by five year olds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just escaped from my niece's 5th birthday party where my duties as uncle included managing the penalty shoot out goal. (This was fun, admittedly)

Anyway the future of football is assured. All the 5 year old boys have the scoring celebrations down pat, including knee slides, whipping the shirt off, running insanely fast with your mouth open and so on. There were also off the ball scuffles, pouts, kicking the goal frame in frustration if a decision went against you, and dramatic collapses at the first sign of contact. (They had every right to go down.)

So it's all good.

Whilst not completely akin, it has been noticeable the dramatic rise in bullshit 'going down' injuries in non league in recent seasons.

Indeed, the major part of my excercise regime these days is chasing a particularly prone winger up and down the touchline screaming 'get up you pounce, I've got a bus to catch'.

Being non league, this generally results in the playing suddenly finding a new bout of strength that results in them staying up in tackles, or them repeatedly grabbing their calf and getting subbed.

It is a very satisfying stand against the modern game.

Comment

Working...
    X