X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today 30 years ago

Missed the first half hour of that.
    ITV4 +1 it is.

I remember sitting under a waterfall on Black Mountain the day of the final. Got badly sunburned and watched the match at a local GAA social club getting badly pissed.
    For a club which frowned upon 'garrison' sports it was packed with everyone wanting to see what Diego would do next.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

If you've got 15 minutes to spare, the BBC coverage of the end of the final of the "World Football Championship" is well worth a look. The exchange about Lineker's possible transfer is magnificently awkward.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Fucking hell Jimmy Greaves is a twat, that comment about the task force.

Watch it on catch up Calvert.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Sansom is somewhat inconsistent.
          Maradona's a cheating git but Wilkins did nothing wrong

Hope Channon says 'the boy LINE-ACRE'

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Got it on ITV4+1, LDG

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Bet Greaves is a Kipper

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Le Dragon de Gaziantep wrote:

Ray Wilkins throws the ball at the referee, red card. The former players think it's harsh. Bollocks is it.
                Only a yellow card, actually, too. He'd got his first one earlier for a foul.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Hodge says that was a back pass, my arse was it. Forget about the handball that anticipation to follow it in was class. Never noticed that before.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

What's truly mad is that the TV coverage of a QF World Cup tie between England and Argentina started 20 mins before kick off.

God, Greaves is an arse.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Maradona was literally kicked out of the previous World Cup, when he was expected to be the best player, by Brazilian and Italian defenders. I can genuinely forgive him, in a way, for what he did with the Hand of God, especially as I still mostly blame Shilton for not just flattening him.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Even the clips they are showing now have Maradona riding tackles and not going down.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Flynnie wrote: Here's Olarticochea's header. You gotta be kidding me.
                          Lineker says he headed it first. After what he's said so far I believe him. He says that he thought it was going to be a tap in and he didn't see him there. It's still great defending.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Does Bobby Robson not sound like Rodney Bewes here?

Comment

Today 30 years ago

That, exactly. Maradona's run against England involves probably three or four lunges from defenders that would nowadays have seen a modern striker hit the deck, and Terry Butcher's last-gasp tackle from behind would have been a straight red and penalty.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Le Dragon de Gaziantep wrote: Does Bobby Robson not sound like Rodney Bewes here?
                                Doesn't he? ...DOESN'T HE?

Comment

Today 30 years ago

I'm waiting for the Likely Lads to start, probably the one about Bulgaria and England.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

It was nil ...

Comment

Today 30 years ago

It's still hard to see how Maradona actually handled that.

Shilton continually slapping his elbow is still funny.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

You get the feeling the rest of the ex-players don't really like Culture Club's drummer, I mean Steve Hodge, a whole lot.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Yep, he says he didn't know that Maradona handled the ball yet all the other players talk about the protest. Doesn't add up.

Sansom obviously never committed a professional foul in his life after the way he reacts even now.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Le Dragon de Gaziantep wrote: Yep, he says he didn't know that Maradona handled the ball yet all the other players talk about the protest. Doesn't add up.
                                            Yeah, well fuck them
                                            He's got a shirt worth £300k.

Sansom got very emotional about his mum getting an airline upgrade.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Perhaps Hodge is more aware that it was just a football match than the rest of them, and that there are bigger issues in the world than a short fat coke-head punching a ball.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Le Dragon de Gaziantep wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Flynnie
                                                Here's Olarticochea's header. You gotta be kidding me.
                                                Lineker says he headed it first. After what he's said so far I believe him. He says that he thought it was going to be a tap in and he didn't see him there. It's still great defending.
                                                Lineker 'did' head it first - Olarticochea somehow still got under the ball and headed it back out. This makes it even more remarkable, IMO.

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Was it over the line?

Comment

Today 30 years ago

Artureaux wrote: Maradona's second against England blew me away in that jaw dropping manner when you know something amazing and iconic has just happened (in the same manner that Brazil 1-7 Germany left me slightly speechless).
                                                    Maradona's second goal was absolutely iconic and one of the moments in football history.

Brazil/Germany really wasn't, however. That was just a car-crash.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X