Wot, no sponsor? League Cup (EFL Cup) 2016-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the League Cup, now the EFL Cup, does not appear to have a title sponsor this season? The first round draw is to be broadcast at 13:00 on Facebook today.

Norwich and Newcastle have been given a bye. The EFL have annoyingly divided these pictures the wrong way, so you have to refer to both pictures when looking for a team's possible opponents (i.e. seeded North will play unseeded North.)

The League Trophy, now the EFL Trophy, is (as discussed on another thread) going to accept "16 category 1 Premier League academy/under-21 sides", and can, as a result, fuck right off.

Cambridge have been put in the Northern half!

Comment

Have I got this right? We now have the EFL Cup and the EFL Trophy?

And who the fuck are EFL?

Comment

Kevchenkeau wrote: Cambridge have been put in the Northern half!
        And Peterborough, Villa, Coventry etc in the South

Comment

cantagalo wrote: Have I got this right? We now have the EFL Cup and the EFL Trophy?

Until 6 months ago EFL was the field of (teaching & learning) English as a Foreign Language. In my world it still is. But apparently it is also now the rebranded football league

Comment

cantagalo wrote: Have I got this right? We now have the EFL Cup and the EFL Trophy?

It's just the Football League. It rebranded to "EFL" (English Football League). Didn't you get the memo?

Comment

Is seeding in the first round a new thing? EFL, by the league's own admission, is an attempt at a hjashtag friendly 'brand' [shudder]

Comment

ad hoc wrote:
                Originally posted by Kevchenkeau
                Cambridge have been put in the Northern half!
                And Peterborough, Villa, Coventry etc in the South
                Yes, but those three are seeded so can't swap. Shame though, as it means Cambridge can't get Ipswich or Peterborough. Burton, Derby and Forest are the closest ones for United I think.

Comment

I hope it is Forest, actually. Believe it or not, Cambridge and Forest have only met once before, in a memorable League Cup tie. Why the amber and black were not worn, I'm not sure.

https://[video=youtube_share;zyBU1gd...?v=zyBU1gduACE[/video]

It won't be Forest, now, of course.

Comment

seand wrote: Is seeding in the first round a new thing? EFL, by the league's own admission, is an attempt at a hjashtag friendly 'brand' [shudder]
                    It's been seeded (like this) for the past couple of years at least. And [shudder] shared.

Comment

Cambridge get Wednesday.

Comment

Calling it the "EFL Cup" is a neat way of covering up the fact that it doesn't currently have a sponsor.

Anyway, Wednesday get the trip to Cambridge, not been there for some time. Let's hope it's a rerun of 1993 rather than 1991.

Comment

Ipswich v Stevenage. Repeat of last season.

Comment

The full draw.

Comment

Monsieur Orange Chaude wrote: Cambridge get Wednesday.
                              longeared wrote: Calling it the "EFL Cup" is a neat way of covering up the fact that it doesn't currently have a sponsor.

Anyway, Wednesday get the trip to Cambridge, not been there for some time. Let's hope it's a rerun of 1993 rather than 1991.
                              Oooh, nice!

There was also a meeting in the League Cup in 1998, which Cambridge won over two legs, 0-1 at Hillsborough and 1-1 at the Abbey.

Comment

Monsieur Orange Chaude wrote: Ipswich v Stevenage. Repeat of last season.
                                Oh, that is about as "meh" a tie as Town could have got, isn't it? No offence to Stevenage, like.

Comment

Kevchenkeau wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Monsieur Orange Chaude
                                  Cambridge get Wednesday.
                                  longeared wrote: Calling it the "EFL Cup" is a neat way of covering up the fact that it doesn't currently have a sponsor.

Oooh, nice!

There was also a meeting in the League Cup in 1998, which Cambridge won over two legs, 0-1 at Hillsborough and 1-1 at the Abbey.
                                  I remember a cup tie in the 80s. We won 2-1, after scoring a dodgy one (Megson, I think) where the away fans held onto the ball after it went out of play and then threw it back on when the goal kick had been taken, causing chaos.

Comment

Morecambe at home. Again.

Comment

Here's Trevor Benjamin's goal at Hillsborough from 1998. Kevin Pressman, oh my word.

So this was the same season as the Forest game mentioned above. Perhaps after confusing the hell out of the Owls by turning up in blue, Cambridge decided it was a lucky kit and chose to wear it against Forest as well?

Comment

Looking at the fixtures in 1998, I think I'd have been on holiday at the time, so that's why I don't remember it. I've never seen that goal before either. Christ almighty.

Also it's nice to see that unnecessarily change kitting into something that causes a greater clash is not necessarily a modern phenomenon.

Comment

We played Palace in 1998 in front of about 2000 at Gigg, but the TV audience was huge as it was being broadcast live in China because Sun Ji-Hai was playing.

In much the same way as a drizzly, freezing December afternoon with Lenny Johnrose biting his ankles every time he got the ball was surely the catalyst for Emerson leaving Boro the previous season, I think it was this game that made Atillio Lombardo think "What the fuck am I doing here?"

Comment

Kevchenkeau wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Monsieur Orange Chaude
                                            Ipswich v Stevenage. Repeat of last season.
                                            Oh, that is about as "meh" a tie as Town could have got, isn't it? No offence to Stevenage, like.
                                            Indeed. Although we did accidentally win it last season, which eventually gave us the chance to not give a fuck at Old Trafford. So maybe we can hope for the same again.

Comment

Burton-Bury will have the TV abbreviation makers scratching their heads.

Comment

Rogin le fan du fauteuil wrote: Burton-Bury will have the TV abbreviation makers scratching their heads.
                                                I can't see it troubling the schedules, to be honest.

Comment

With the managerial changes at Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City, are any of the big red clubs, rich blue clubs or Champions League clubs going to target this competition?

I've got a feeling that Stoke might win it. They were only a penalty shootout away from the final last time.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X