Copa America: Quarterfinals and Beyond

So Messi - age 29 in 2016....

2018 - Russia - age 31
    2019 - Brasil Copa America - age 32
    2022 - Qatar - age 35
    2023 - Ecuador Copa America - age 36

Comment

Considered for deletion - the 2027 Copa America....in Canada. With Inuit and Greenland teams.

Comment

TV Chile reporting Messi resigns from La Selecciôn of Argentina.

Comment

So is Sam.

Comment

The best XI is Messi, Mascherano, Otamendi, and 8 Chileans. Really.

Comment

ESPN Argentina now saying the retirement list includes Mascherano, Agüero, and possibly Di Maria, Biglia, and Lavezzi. Pretty much everyone is enraged at the AFA.

Comment

Why is the AFA unpopular with the players?

Comment

Chile - as long as they don't start losing World Cup qualifiers - will almost certainly be in the top 7 in the world rankings come June 2018, and so seeded at the next World Cup. They were fifth before the Copa and the Euros, and will have picked up a lot of points for beating Mexico, Colombia and Argentina, who were 16th, 3rd and 1st respectively.

Brazil, conversely, could drop out of that top 7, and might not be among the seeds in Russia. Were that to happen, I'm pretty certain FIFA will find another way of choosing who is.

Comment

Reckon they'd just make sure Brazil goes in Russia's group.

Comment

This is of course assuming that Brazil qualify - as it stands they won't even reach the playoffs.

Comment

They could I suppose scrap the top seedings and go instead to continental pots.

Comment

Just seen the highlights.

Higuain.......... not again.

Comment

Like death and taxes

Comment

Next time Argentina make it to the final, they should drop Higauin. Even if he gets a hat trick in all of the previous matches.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Like death and taxes
                                ...and Messi missing key penalties. (Not going to google it, but I'm sure there is a youtube video of Messi's penalty lowlights.)

(The Higuain lowlight reels are probably in the hundreds.)

Comment

cantagalo wrote: Roberto Heber Lopes has the worst job in the world.
                                  Though I suppose it does have its compensations...

http://www.101greatgoals.com/news/referee-heber-lopes-allegedly-celebrated-officiating-the-copa-america-final-with-two-prostitutes/

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote: Why is the AFA unpopular with the players?
                                    There'll be an article on ESPNFC tomorrow. If I remember I'll link it here when it's up.

Rogin le fan du fauteuil wrote: Chile - as long as they don't start losing World Cup qualifiers - will almost certainly be in the top 7 in the world rankings come June 2018, and so seeded at the next World Cup. They were fifth before the Copa and the Euros, and will have picked up a lot of points for beating Mexico, Colombia and Argentina, who were 16th, 3rd and 1st respectively.
                                    Their results against Argentina during this Copa were a defeat and a draw (the rankings don't take shootouts into account), but even with that group stage defeat the revised rankings ahead of the final had them in 3rd, so that's the lowest they'll be when the new official ones come out. They might make second, I suppose, if Belgium don't go any further in the Euros, but I doubt it.

matt j wrote:
                                    Originally posted by ursus arctos
                                    Like death and taxes
                                    ...and Messi missing key penalties. (Not going to google it, but I'm sure there is a youtube video of Messi's penalty lowlights.)
                                    Messi's missed 20 out of 88 career penalties, according to a stat I saw after the game - but Sunday night was the first time he's failed to score in a shootout (and one of the previous 19 'misses' was the pass to Suárez earlier this season).

Comment

I think shootouts are taken into account - Chile will get 2x match points, Argentina 1x for the final.

Comment

Ah really? Interesting.

Comment

I didn't get to watch this tournament, but were chile good this time? They seemed to win the last one through a combination of suspicious south korean style running and "aggressive" pressing.

Comment

Working...
                                          X