Tot ziens tukkers: Eredivisie 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Eredivisie and Jupiler League fixtures for 2016-2017 were published yesterday with a twist. There appears to be a super-club playing in all Eredivisie and Jupiler League fixtures next season called De Graafschap-Twente.

This Frankensteins monster appears in all fixtures as Twente are currently making last minute appeals against their relegation. The Tukker’s €32 million rescue package by gemeente Enschede was based upon Twente remaining in the Eredivisie. As a result of their impending relegation, this plan will collapse.

The creditors are hovering and demanding payment in full. London based XXIII Capital has called in its €8 million loan to the club, also threatening to sue the KNVB and the Eredivisie licensing commission for damages. Doyen sports, whose dodgy deal with Twente was leaked and resulted in the club’s financial collapse, also wants its euros of flesh now.

What it means is that the club is on the verge of bankruptcy and the club has announced that it will apply for bankruptcy in an Almelo court once relegation is finalised. Bankruptcy will probably lead to the stripping of the club’s professional licence and the Jupiler League beginning with one team less.

Wonderful start to the new season...

I see the Wiki entry has remained studiously neutral by omitting both clubs, in favour of "TBD".

Comment

The Tukkers won their appeal.

De Graafschap and their advocaten...come on down!

Comment

Unbelievable. FC Twente remain the Eredivisie after the appeals board of the KNVB ruled in their favour this afternoon. Instead of relegation, Twente are fined €181,000 for four serious violations.

The KNVB's 'reasoning' is that there was a difference of opinion on Twente's "Clean Hands Delcaration" of December 2015. The KNVB state that the club was led to believe that any violations they announced between December and April 2016 would not be taken into account due to the club coming clean. The licensing committee did not accept that and ruled that Twente were in serious violation and therefore should be relegated, as did a judge in Utrecht.

The appeals board have seen things differently and believe the club has been hard done by due to this misinterpretation of the clean hands declaration, thus Twente remain in the Eredivisie. De Graafschap, who are now relegated have announced they are seriously considering legal action.

This has been an enormous KNVB balls up from start to end. Youri Mulder interviewed today said the decision makes Dutch football "look like a banana republic".

It really does smack of the big clubs in Dutch football being indulged and taken care of. An utter disgrace.

Comment

#KNVBMaffia is trending at the moment.....

Comment

So, two games in to the new season and Feyenoord stand proudly at the top of the Eredivisie. One of four clubs to have a 100% record, the South Rotterdammers lead on goal difference, having scored seven and having conceded precisely nil. After an impressive 5-0 drubbing of Groningen away last week, they easily dispatched FC Twente yesterday.

It is too early to predict a sustained title from Feyenoord but the fact that their last title win came last century, the club's twitterati and followers a bit frothy at the moment. Time will tell whether van Bronckhorst will follow the Cocu/de Boer path from exemplary professional to championship winning manager. I personally hope for a sustained challenge from Feyenoord to keep things interesting.

PSV have won 2 of 2 having beaten a Janssen-less AZ 1-0 comfortably. Ajax under new manger Peter Bosz conceded a 91st minute equalizer to Roda. Things at the ArenA seem to be following the last season of de Boer's reign and with Arek Milik being sold for a substantial sum, his replacement, loan signing Bertrand Traore, has angered the Ajacieden who see that nothing has been learnt player investment wise from the civil war era. Ajax may just again be a story to watch this season.

Speaking of the ArenA, the family of Johan Cruijff are admirably continuing the obfuscation of the great man saying that there "is no rush" in renaming the ArenA after the late departed no.14. Family spokesperson Carole Thate said "There will certainly be talks in the coming period. It is a question of whether the family are open to the interesting ideas expressed." What the "interesting ideas" ideas are other than renaming the stadium Cruijff Arena I don't know but I would hazard a guess that it would include the sacking of Edwin van der Sar, Marc Overmars, the Board and the advisory committee.

And finally, Danny Blind is angry. Assistant bondscoach Dick Advocaat has today legged it to Turkey and Fenerbahçe. Blind said "I am surprised and disappointed", possibly forgetting that he once walked out in the first year of a four year contract as Sparta football director to go to Ajax.

Comment

Arek Milik being sold for a substantial sum
              After Euro 2016, in which Milik missed at least three open goals and a substantial number of other great chances, I'm surprised they got more than a two-euro coin and a free scratch card for him.

Comment

FK Rostov 4, Ajax 1.

Oh dear.

Comment

This was my favourite thread on the forum last season. Any updates on the crazy goings on in the Netherlands Geoffrey?

Comment

Cheers Kid. Sorry for the lack of posts, I am actually out of the country on an extended work assignment and will be for a bit longer and I've not been able to skive off as much as I'd like to Eredivisie wise. I'm also convinced that my absence explains PEC's honking start to the season.

I will be intrigued to see if Feyenoord continue their blistering early start, they have still not conceded a goal and should put away Rotterdam rivals Excelsior this evening.

The clown car is still parked outside the ArenA waiting for the word to head off to Enschede to pick up Hakim Ziyech from Twente. Ziyech looked Fenerbahce bound but Ajax are in such crisis that they are doing what they can to nab the impressive Ziyech and allay the frothing fans. They are in Deventer tomorrow against Go Ahead Eagles. Anything less than a convincing victory will see the pressure pile further on the board.

I bet Wim Jonk is laughing his arse off.

Comment

And on that note, according to Fox Sports FC Twente have just said that the €8 million Ajax have bid for Ziyech is 'ridiculous' (they want €14 million) and they wonder if it is in fact a mock bid to appease the Ajax fans.

Comment

It is with a heavy heart, that I must inform you all that there is chaos at the KNVB and **sigh** yes, it does involve egos and arguments. Bert van Oostveen, KNVB Chairman- weg. Today Marco van Basten- weg. This comes hot on the heels of Dick Advocaat jumping ship a few weeks ago and it now appears that the national team is as rudderless as The Flying Dutchman.

Van Basten’s departure was announced by Ruud Gullit, who himself a couple of weeks ago had been interviewed for a coaching position by Hans van Breukelen, legendary shithouse PSV and Oranje keeper turned KNVB technical director. What could possibly go wrong in this gezellig gesprek (cosy chat)?.

“Marco called me and told me he was leaving the KNVB. He thought I should know that before I entered into negotiations with the KNVB. I confronted van Breukelen with this. ‘Is this not something I should have known about?’ I asked him. There followed some shouting and thumping. Then van Breukelen replied ‘I promised not to say anything’.

‘So why are still negotiating?’ I asked. I had a very strange feeling after this, something that could have been nice had become a problem and I lost interest.”

Not only has St Marco gone from Oranje, but he has also had a right old snark at Ajax in his VI column this week- “The ArenA is too big for the Ajax players”. You fill in the rest of the column.

Do you know, it is not the decline of Dutch football on the pitch that I am particularly bothered about. It is the decline of the titanic egos that makes me fret. Who is going to replace these guys once they are gone? I hate to say it but the new generation of Dutch footballers just do not have the egotistic, objectionable chops their predecessors did. I’m going to miss them when they are gone.

As mentioned, Van Oostveen has gone and will not be lamented. He who appointed celebrated comedy duo Hiddink and Blind instead of Koeman, leaves a rudderless KNVB, leaves Blind still in charge as Bondscoach and a KNVB whose plans for the future of voetbal seem to be in tatters. He is replaced by Gijs de Jong who no doubt will be referred to as “the beleaguered Gijs de Jong” before too long.

Wat een onzin.

Comment

Looks like Ziyech is going to Ajax after all for 11m euros.

In classic Ajax fashion, they're being feted for spending money when the sales of Milik and Cillessen mean they still bank about 30m euros profit, and they probably could have done this a month ago and maybe given themselves a better chance to qualify for the Champions League. Sigh.

Comment

How are the mighty Sparta shaping up, Geoffrey? Enough about them to stay up?

Comment

I know beggar all about Dutch football but I know that this is the Kevin Young-Joe Jakub derby:

A Utrecht fan emailed me to ask if I could put him in touch with Kevin. Seems he's still highly thought of there.

Comment

Whittaker wrote: How are the mighty Sparta shaping up, Geoffrey? Enough about them to stay up?
                                I think so Whittaker. Played 4, won 2 lost 2. They are well coached by Alex Pastoor and will have enough about them for bottom half safety.

The crisis continues at the highest level of Dutch football with Oranje's home defeat to Greece but you know the script by now. I would much rather give a shout out to the splendidly monikered UNA who played this afternoon in the Tweede Divisie, the rung under the Jupiler League in the new league set up.

UNA stands for Uitspanning Na Arbeid- Relaxation After Work. And they certainly did relax, allowing Lienden to gub them 4-0 at home.

There are some other fine names in the new third tier along with UNA. We have Kozakken Boys (Cossack Boys), Excelsior Maasluis, De Treffers (The Shots/The Goals) and Koninglijke (Royals).

Also interesting is the presence of AFC- Amsterdamsche Football Club, who if successful over the next few seasons would be the first other Amsterdam club in the Eredivisie since 1978 when the short lived FC Amsterdam were relegated and disappeared soon after.

Comment

Justin Kluivert made his debut for Jong Ajax yesterday

Comment

Two things. Feyenoord passed their first real test of the season in both domestic and European fixtures with flying colours on Sunday, beating PSV in Eindhoven 1-0. Whisper it, but there does seem to be a genuine challenge coming from Rotterdam. Feyenoord are 5 points clear of PSV and Ajax and still have a 100% record. Expect a slapstick collapse just either before or after the winter shutdown, standing on rakes, that type of thing.

PEC= clusterfuck. And this clusterfuck has everything to do with the fact I am not in Zwolle at the moment and will not be for some time. Tsjongejongejonge.

Comment

The sheen on Koninglijke HFC’s 6-1 demolition of OJS Rosmalen in the KNVB Beker was somewhat tarnished by the fact that the KNVB have since fined HFC (the oldest club in the Netherlands) 4540 euros for wearing strips with their sponsor Scotch Whisky International emblazoned across it.

Interesting decision given that the KNVB’s second division is called the Jupiler League, that for 10 years the beker was called the Amstel Cup and that a page on the KNVB’s website proudly boasts of its close partnership with Heineken-

"Since late 2000, Heineken has played an active role within the KNVB. Heineken is the beer of national pride, and a long-time supporter of Oranje. Heineken is there when the Dutch team plays, with high-profile activities during qualifiers and final tournaments. The Heineken Orange Camp provides festivities for Dutch fans and striking gadgets are distributed to spread ‘oranjefever’. At home or in the pub, Heineken's plays a part on strengthens Orange feeling among all the fans."

And textbook shit stirring from professional media gobshite big Pierre.

Comment

Random great Eredivisie goals of the past. First time I've seen this one. Outstanding pass from Gullit and media mouth Rene van der Gijp does the rest.

Comment

This has just turned up on Open Access, which may or may not be of interest:

Four Histories about Early Dutch Football, 1910-1920
                                          What is the purpose of history today, and how can sporting research help us understand the world around us? In this stimulating book, Nicholas Piercey constructs four new histories of early Dutch football, exploring urban change, club members, the media, and the diaries of Cornelis Johannes Karel van Aalst, a stadium director, to propose practical examples of how history can become an important democratic tool for the 21st century.

Comment

I could not possibly condone the actions of a group of PEC Zwolle fans who overnight painted the road over Deventer's Wilhelminabrug blue and white, the result of which caused road closures and huge traffic snarl ups on the main bridge in and out of Deventer yesterday. Tut, tut, tut. It's the PEC-Go Ahead Eagles derby today...

Also of note is that Deventer council's condemnatory response came from a chap called Freek Stein, as far as I know the only Dutchman named after a Dinosaur Jr hit.

Comment

There was a scatological aftermath to Sunday's Ijsselderby (PEC Zwolle 3-1 Go Ahead Eagles) when a 50 year old GAE fan was arrested after sneaking onto the Zwolle centre circle 3 hours after the game and undertaking what is known in Dutch as a 'schijtactie'- squatting and having a dump. It appears he hid in the stadium until such times as he felt the need.

Mr. Shits was subsequently arrested at the ground. However, controversy abounds as to whether the fan actually managed to squeeze out a length of Go Ahead Eagles season so far. Some sources say he did, others are disputing it. I am sure both clubs wish to flush "poepgate" down the u-bend as soon as possible.

Comment

Unbelievable, Geoff.

Anyway, I wonder if you could tell me how Lewis Baker is regarded in the Eredivisie? He seems to score plenty of goals for Vitesse and has become an integral team member. Am I going to see him strutting his stuff at the Bridge next season after a successful sojourn in Gelderland?

Comment

Everyone in Arnhem was surprised he was back. It seemed the club did not expect him back after his impressive season last season, but back he is picking up where he left off. He's scored 5 in 11 games so far.

As well as he is playing in the Eredivisie, it is hard to see him pushing anyone off the bench at Stamford Bridge, however the fact that Chelsea have sent him off out on loan again rather than letting him go suggests he may have a future at Stamford Bridge. I also think Baker's willingness to continue developing at Vitesse also shows a maturity that not always evident amongst young English up and comings. This will definitely be his last season at Vitesse. Where he goes after this season remains to be seen.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X