Lewington and other 'shouty' coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, I've never met - let alone worked under - Ray Lewington. He might be a really nice bloke. But, by god, is he annoying when standing on the sidelines, shouting, during a game!!!

Now, I know different people respond to different forms of encouragement or instruction, but personally, if I was an England player, I'd find that non-stop barrage of (seemingly often pointless) shouts nothing but distracting.

I know Lewington isn't the only practitioner of this approach, but he seems one of the most high-profile. He's certainly the one I find most annoying - possibly because it seems that he's shouting for the whole 90 minutes, relentlessly.

I have to say I find it less annoying when it's the actual manager/head-coach doing the shouting and it's intermittent (i.e. when needed). But Lewington just seems like Roy's little 'Bull Terrier', who he's got on a string for added kudos, but in reality seems to have little control over.

So... do you like the 'constantly shouty assistant coach' practice? Or do you think the players should be left to their own devices a bit more, with only the manager interjecting if necessary? Have some of you played under these varying approaches, perhaps, and how did you find it, if so?

I've met him at supporters events, he's quite mild-mannered.

As a young player in the late 70s his enormous ginger mullet was pretty fearsome.

Comment

Lewington's very mild-mannered, yeah.

Is he particularly shouty? He's no Wally Downes.

Comment

Presenting Rob Scott https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otwGjlNonQw

Comment

Working...
        X