Superb stadia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superb stadia

No I'm not talking about those new build identikit stadiums or the big behemoths the superclubs play in but just wondered if anyone had any absolute gems of grounds they've been to whether it's their own clubs, an away ground or somewhere they went once on a groundhopping trip.
    Talking to someone earlier reminded me of a couple of marvellous Dutch grounds I've had the good fortune of experiencing.
    Firstly the Kyocera Stadium, home to Ado Den Haag, the only place I've ever seen a game at that level where the facilities and service were so good I could wait until the half time whistle had been blown before venturing down to relieve myself, buy something to eat, eat it, buy a beer, drink it, smoke a cigarette, buy another beer and still be back in my seat in time for the second half to kick off.
    Secondly VVV Venlo's home De Koel purely fir the fact that coming down from the changing rooms the players have to go down a set of stairs that they actually have to go under a tunnel before walking back up to pitch level.
    Special mention for WSV Wuppertal at Stadion am Zoo just because you can take the worlds oldest monorail, or more accurately schwebebahn from the hauptbahnhof to get there.
    Interested to hear if anyone else has any particular favourites or just quirky grounds they've been to, might even serve as inspiration for my next groundhopping trip.

Superb stadia

Say what you like about SpVgg Unterhaching, but there's a lovely biergarten behind the south stand.

Shame the weather in Munich's so lousy at the moment.

Comment

Superb stadia

Huracán is my personal favourite from these parts.

Comment

Superb stadia

Been to the Kyocera twice, can't stand it. Feels like a prison with a pitch in the middle to me.

Comment

Superb stadia

The City Ground's won some kind of interweb-poll thingy for "best ground in the Championship"

Comment

Superb stadia

Fuppin hell, I've not been but the Kyocera looks unremittingly grim inside and out. I particularly like the bit where they photograph everyone individually on the way in.

Good floodlights though.

Comment

Superb stadia

Guy Profumeau wrote: The City Ground's won some kind of interweb-poll thingy for "best ground in the Championship"
              Not forgetting one of the most picturesque approaches to a ground.

Comment

Superb stadia

Old thread on this general subject.

North American grounds are often designed for other sports, and thus tend to lack a lot, particularly those grounds that were built as "multisport facilities" in the heyday of the "concrete doughnut" (which coincided with the original NASL's peak).

Some notable exceptions that I've been to include Wrigley Field in Chicago, where the Sting played in front of its iconic ivy covered walls and old time scoreboard

Highmark Stadium of the Pittsburgh Riverhounds

and MCU Park on Coney Island (the episodic home of the New York Cosmos), with its Cyclone backdrop

Comment

Superb stadia

Another one from Italy is the Arena Civica in Milan, which was built by Napoleon's administration and still looks much like this (except for the addition of a modern athletics track on which our son has won a school medal)

It is now the home of Brera Calcio, which tries to promote itself as "Milano's third club", but is primary devoted to youth football (the senior team is at the seventh level of the Italian pyramid).

Comment

Superb stadia

As in Gianni?

Comment

Superb stadia

I think the City Ground is the only English one where I've seen fans feeding swans before a game. It is a lovely place in the sunshine. Trent Bridge is England's nicest test cricket ground as well.

Comment

Superb stadia

jefe, Brera is the district of Milan in which the Arena is located.

Often called the Greenwich Village of Milan. We originally wanted to live there, but couldn't find anything suitable. Rather like Greenwich Village, then.

Comment

Superb stadia

Harbinger of Hope wrote:
                          Originally posted by Guy Profumeau
                          The City Ground's won some kind of interweb-poll thingy for "best ground in the Championship"
                          Not forgetting one of the most picturesque approaches to a ground.

I don't know if location / environs had anything to do with it, but it's certainly a lot better served in that context than a lot of ostensibly "better" (and also newer) stadiums.

Comment

Superb stadia

Hong Kong

Comment

Working...
                            X