Contemporaneous pop songs / terrace chants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering, what's the most recent pop song you've heard that's been adopted as a terrace chant?

Or is the average football fan still stuck on Son of my Father and Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep?

Seven Nation Army is pretty ubiquitous.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: Seven Nation Army is pretty ubiquitous.
      It is. But it was released thirteen years ago.

Comment

Well, quite. However given that most new chants seem to centre around Sloop John FUCKING B, I reckon it's got a fair shout of being one of the most recent.

Comment

Pretty certain I heard Get Lucky (2013) being appropriated not so long ago - but I'm blessed if I can recall by whom.

Comment

The Automatic's 'Monster' became the basis of a terrace chant very soon after it was released.

I've also always had a suspicion that 'Just Can't Get Enough' appeared at games after The Saturdays' tour de force cover version of the song which completely eclipsed the original by...whoever it was.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
              Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts
              It sprung up in the 2006 World Cup though, used by the Italy supporters.

Comment

Thread drift, I know, but The Outhere Brothers "Boom Boom Boom" was heard on the terraces pretty quickly after it topped the chart in 1995.

"Boom boom boom, let me hear you say Norwich" was the first one I heard.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote:
                  Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys
                  Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts
                  It sprung up in the 2006 World Cup though, used by the Italy supporters.
                  It sprung up prior to the 2006 World Cup with Hearts fans speculating on the bedroom activities of Hibs fans, with the Hibees responding in kind in relation to Paul Hartley.

Comment

Can I shoehorn in here the story about The Shamen playing at halftime at Highbury during an early version of Sky's Monday Night Football when they were trying to Super Bowl it up a bit.

When they played their then current/recent hit 'Ebenezer Goode' the Arsenal crowd adapted the chorus to 'He's a cunt, he's a cunt, the referee's a cunt!"

I'm not sure Sky did any more half time shows after that.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote: I've also always had a suspicion that 'Just Can't Get Enough' appeared at games after The Saturdays' tour de force cover version of the song which completely eclipsed the original by...whoever it was.
                      How very dare you!!!

The simple beauty of the Mode's original remains peerless!

Although I remain simply baffled by the adoption of that as a chant, I was both baffled and amused when Village People's 'Go West' got adopted as a chant, following Pet Shop Boys' 1994 cover of it. Do these people really know what the original was about?

Pet Shop Boys also released the song 'Paninaro', of course, specifically catering for - and referencing - the (Italian) 80s/90s football casual crowd, which became a chant too. You can even still get T-shirts 'of' the song. I'm sure EIM will enjoy this video, accompanied by the anthem. (Good to know that PSB's Chris Lowe is an Arsenal fan, despite hailing from ...I dunno ...somewhere above the 53rd parallel!)

Here's a, errr... 'piece' related to this general topic.

Comment

Not contemporaneous, obviously, but I've always sniffed bullshit about Liverpool fans singing 'Don’t blame it on the Biscan/Don’t blame it on the Hamann/Don’t blame it on the Finnan/Blame it on Traore/He just can’t, he just can’t, he just can’t control his feet.'

Comment

Azeez is on fire
                          Your defence is terrified

Edit - just realised this was first released in 1996.. Where did those last 20 years just go?

Comment

Back in the day, Ipswich fans used to sing "Bontcho, Bontcho, Bontcho, Bontcho, Bontcho, Bontcho, Bontcho Guentchev" to the then hit song "No Limits" by 2Unlimited.

https://youtu.be/FxzF3ZjqlBA?t=3m40s

Comment

That Freed From Desire chant that's doing the rounds in England lately is old hat over here, as Bohemians fans have been singing it since 2011.

Shamrock Rovers fans, incidentally, were chanting to Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire as far back as their title-winning season of 1993/94. It was prominent at the time as it was used in a commercial for Lee Cooper jeans.

At the 2011 Europa League Final in Dublin, the Porto fans were definitely singing something to the tune of It's A Heartache by Bonnie Tyler. I never heard it since. I hope I didn't imagine it.

Comment

Shamrock Rovers had another song based on Hold Me Close by David Cassidy, or David Essex, or whoever it was. However, I accept that this is stretching the definition of "contemporaneous" some way beyond its natural limits.

The Automatic's 'Monster' became the basis of a terrace chant very soon after it was released.
                                It was about Nemanja Vidic. But it was soon replaced by the one about him coming from Serbia.

Comment

Although I remain simply baffled by the adoption of that as a chant, I was both baffled and amused when Village People's 'Go West' got adopted as a chant, following Pet Shop Boys' 1994 cover of it. Do these people really know what the original was about?

hah, never mind them. what does god-botherer-in-chief andrew Trimble think, when the Ulster fans encourage everyone to stand up for the ulstermen, to the sound of the VP's paean to Manifest destiny?

Comment

There's an article on the MLS league website about where the chants and such over here came from. If you want a hearty laugh I'd encourage a look at it.

Comment

Good link from EvilC above. I've always been fascinated/amused by the origins of "terrace" chants, the more incongruous the better.

"Dear Rodgers and Hammerstein, great song, destined to be a 21st century hashtag" - "A what now?"

Tangent: is there a source (blog, book, whatever) for tracing the first use of these familiar ditties? Like a dictionary records the first time a coinage appears in print. Or the Opies and their recording of playground songs.

Example: I can recall the Guantanamera tune as "There's only one Garry Birtles" in 1978. If it wasn't started by the Trent End, then who?

For your PhD in foot-pop, work out the average time from hit song to widespread chant. It seems to take longer than you might expect, as Stumpy Pepys sort of suggests.

Comment

Borracho wrote:

It was about Nemanja Vidic. But it was soon replaced by the one about him coming from Serbia.
                                        a) doe we conclusively know Vidic was the first to have the song used about him?

b) what were the lyrics? I can't imagine his name fitting the tune as well as, for instance, Michael Chopra's did.

Comment

Who's that coming over the hill, is it Nemanja.

Comment

Borracho wrote: Who's that coming over the hill, is it Nemanja.
                                            No, it's Efe Sodje when it was sung at Bury.

Comment

Borracho wrote: Who's that coming over the hill, is it Nemanja.
                                              Ah, I did wonder if it just used the forename. Not sure that really works.

Comment

Giggler wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Borracho
                                                (Pascal) Chimbonda at Carlisle, though we quickly realised that 'who's that cos he's over the hill' was more apt.

Comment

Giggler wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Borracho
                                                  Not based on a recent song, and therefore of no relevance to this thread, but no juxtaposition of chants plus Efe Sodje could be allowed to pass without the time when he played against his brother Sam, and the home fans spent the whole game singing "He ain't Efe, he's his brother", and feeling very proud about it.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X