Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replica shirts

Hi
    We are currently researching the growth in the buying and wearing of replica football shirts by adult fans since the 1970s. We are aiming to gather the experiences and opinions of fans who have bought or been given replica shirts (be it occasionally or every season!), and of fans who have never owned a replica shirt.

We are keen to hear from fans of all ages - and particularly those aged over 40, who might have bought replica shirts before the early 1990s.

We'd be very grateful if you'd be willing to complete our short survey (should take 5 minutes at most).

You can access it here:
    https://sheffieldmanagement.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_1ZKfCxCVjLAyQJL

Thanks for your time

Chris Stride (University of Sheffield) and Nick Catley (Independent researcher).

PS: If anyone here has any Admiral, Umbro or Bukta catalogues, from 1973 through to 1987, in a loft or drawer somewhere, I'd love a scan of them! Please get in touch...

Replica shirts

You can get academic kudos for stuff like this? How amazing. Would I be able to get a Doctorate in goalkeeping gloves?

Comment

Replica shirts

Probably. I've got a pHd in incorrect capitalisation.

Comment

Replica shirts

I just filled it in and it made me a bit cross.

Comment

Replica shirts

The survey feeds into two projects (both of which are self-funded, before anyone comes out with a "...tax-payers' money" line ) One is looking at nostalgia/the age at which people feel nostalgic; and another looking at statistical models for how new products are marketed and adopted. But yeah, it's good fun too - always research what you know and love, then you have head start!

Comment

Replica shirts

I have taken to annoying Ms Felicity every time we go into a charity shop, by waving the requisite red England shirt from the racks at her.

If I were to try to develop a thesis out of that habit, it does seem that the mass fashion for Ingerlund replica shirts has waned.

My commute to work this morning was accompanied by hordes of (wealthy enough to fly/southern) Ingerlund fans on the metro, and there was only one single shirt in sight.

Comment

Replica shirts

Surely many people who bought replica shirts pre-1990 would have been kids back then? I know I was.

I still have the shirt I wore as a 10 year old team mascot. (And proudly for football in school every week after.)

Comment

Replica shirts

Some of us are much older than you, y'know.

I had never really realised that I was in the vanguard of this, solely as a result of having arrived in the UK in 1983.

BTW, any online survey that includes a functioning and relevant link to Historical Football Kits deserves *applause*

Comment

Replica shirts

In the 1960's before 'replica kits' we went into town and bought 'replica Bukta cotton shirts' from Jack Sharps store with an oval cotton badge, separately, which mum would sew on. I have a picture of me in replica Liverpool shirt, shorts and socks, taken in summer of 1966, on my dining room window sill. Walton Rec park on Sunday mornings, 20-a-side, most kids in either red or blue 'replica Buktas'. Ace. Devo'ed when the colour ran into the white collar and cuffs though.

Comment

Replica shirts

BTW, any online survey that includes a functioning and relevant link to Historical Football Kits deserves *applause*

Absolutely.

Especially as I had to check what season Everton had released that badly-done tribute act to their classic 1983-85 shirt (2009-10, in case you were wondering).

Comment

Replica shirts

Exiled off Main Street wrote: In the 1960's before 'replica kits' we went into town and bought 'replica Bukta cotton shirts' from Jack Sharps store with an oval cotton badge, separately, which mum would sew on. I have a picture of me in replica Liverpool shirt, shorts and socks, taken in summer of 1966, on my dining room window sill. Walton Rec park on Sunday mornings, 20-a-side, most kids in either red or blue 'replica Buktas'. Ace. Devo'ed when the colour ran into the white collar and cuffs though.
                      What made you choose to stand on the dining room windowsill when the photo was taken?

Comment

Replica shirts

Felicity, I guess so wrote: I have taken to annoying Ms Felicity every time we go into a charity shop, by waving the requisite red England shirt from the racks at her.

If I were to try to develop a thesis out of that habit, it does seem that the mass fashion for Ingerlund replica shirts has waned.
                        The barely used blue World In Motion shirt is worth a few quid if you see one.

I had three or four Wolves shirts between the ages of eight and twelve, encompassing the move from the three wolves to the wolf's head badge and from aertex-y fabric to shiny and even more flammable. Then nothing between the age of twelve and a TOFFS shirt when I was pushing 30.

Comment

Replica shirts

Exiled off Main Street wrote: In the 1960's before 'replica kits' we went into town and bought 'replica Bukta cotton shirts' from Jack Sharps store with an oval cotton badge, separately, which mum would sew on. I have a picture of me in replica Liverpool shirt, shorts and socks, taken in summer of 1966, on my dining room window sill. Walton Rec park on Sunday mornings, 20-a-side, most kids in either red or blue 'replica Buktas'. Ace. Devo'ed when the colour ran into the white collar and cuffs though.
                          My first football shirt was...gasp! an Umbro Man Utd kit, the 'Denis Law International' or something like that, bought for Christmas in about 1968. Red cotton shirt with white collar and cuffs, white shorts, and red socks with white feet, a fashion that seems to have died out long ago; modern football socks seem to be all the same colour right down to the toes. Probably fabric dye was still on ration back in those days. Anyway, you'll all be glad to know I got my first Villa shirt for my birthday in the following month, so no lasting harm was done.

Comment

Replica shirts

Are you Brian Glover?

Replica shirts, 1969.

Comment

Replica shirts

I put my favourite Manchester United home kit as 89/90 when I meant 90/91. I've basically fucked up all your research. Sorry.

Comment

Replica shirts

I used to have a Wolves kit at junior school in the 70s, whether this was relic from the Wolves/West Brom dichotomy that existed in my town in the mid 20th century, or just something I was given, I can't remember. However, I do remember also wearing a range of Umbro kits in the 70s (Stoke, Sunderland, Everton) mainly because the family knew someone who worked at the Umbro factory.

Comment

Replica shirts

The survey asked why did you not wear your first adult strip to a match. Well, I didn't really fancy going to the Jungle at Celtic Park every other week with a bright orange Holland shirt on.

Comment

Replica shirts

Replica shirts became thing in West-Germany in the late 1970s. And I was way into it. I had several Köln ones, of course, plus a Schalke one. My favourite one was that of FC Nantes, possibly my all-time most-beloved item of clothing. I also had a rather nice one of Racing Strasbourg, unusually in navy blue with pinstripes.

The latter looked good with jeans (yeah, even then, eh?), which mitighated my mom's faux-pas. See, she had previously bought my brother a Strasbourg shirt (blue with white sleeves), which meant I had to hate Strasbourg. Now I had to like them.

Comment

Replica shirts

Côte-a wrote: I used to have a Wolves kit at junior school ...
                                      Me too, about 1973 or so. Wanted a QPR shirt but they weren't really available in Birmingham so settled for Wolves 'cause I liked Dave Wagstaffe. My mate had Leicester's white shirt AND the Palace white with claret and blue stripes down the front. Poseur.

Comment

Replica shirts

I do feel that the "Male/Female" option on that survey is largely redundant but I suppose the research may prove me wrong.

Comment

Replica shirts

Brazil for xmas 1970 aged 10.
                                          Home made number 9 for Tostao requested but as a 7 or 11 was easier to make out of heming/lining stuff for my ma I thus became Jarzinio and my brother Rivelinio.

Comment

Replica shirts

Man City 3rd away kit circa 73. Blue with a red and white sash. I didn't support Man City at all but I never took that kit off for about 18 months.

The only replica kit I have ever owned.

I did have a set off Leeds sock tags though. 11 for Eddie Gray.

Comment

Replica shirts

Liverpool '7' and a Scotland '8' at the same time. Dalglish, obv. Both Umbro - me dad knew someone at the factory.

Comment

Replica shirts

Aged nine or ten I asked for the classic Man Utd white with (3?) thin black stripes straight down the left side shirt. (I can picture Jimmy Greenhoff in it.)
                                                My Mum couldn't find it so she got me Newcastle instead because 'it had black and white stripes'.

Comment

Replica shirts

My mum got me an Oxford shirt when I was in middle school, so I guess about '82 or '83, so probably BPCC sponsored. I wore it for every football match for about 6 months, then my mum washed it with some of my sister's red socks and it turned pink. My mum tried to convince me it was "basically the same". I didn't get another replica shirt until I was in my late 20s (1995ish Unipart sponsored).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X