The Greatest Football Song Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manic Street Preachers - Together Stronger (C'mon Wales)

I am a little biased, granted.

I wanted to like it. But I couldn't listen all the way through.

Comment

Not even the Manics greatest football song.

Comment

Bizarre Löw Triangle wrote: Not even the Manics greatest football song.
        Obviously 'Bobby Gould Must Go' was the product of a conceptual genius but I prefer the positive thrust of this one.

It's as corny as fuck but I do love it, I genuinely tear up most times I hear it.

Comment

I've always liked Primal Scream & Irvine Welsh's The Big Man And The Scream Team Meet The Barmy Army Uptown. Ostensibly Scotland's unofficial Euro 96 song, it is in fact an angry anti-Rangers diatribe.

Comment

It's not bad and it's good to see a proper band doing an official football song, but it's no World in Motion.

Comment

I'm not great fan of the Manics at the best of times, but that song upthread is really bad.

As I mention every time this comes up, the greatest football song ever is actually Easy Easy by the '74 Scotland World Cup squad. Classic Martin/Coulter stomper.

Comment

The Manics have competition- the London NISC's cover/ pastiche of Living Next Door to Alice will be featured on BBC's The One Show next Wednesday.

Neil Hamilton (who is originally from Blackwood, Gwent) failed to interview MSP as fellow locals in a recent interview. He said "I'm 67, ask me about Beethoven!"

Martin/ Coulter top five:

5 Back home
                4 Fancy pants
                3 The not enthusiastically UK town with no culture I loved so well
                2 Puppet on a string
                1 Shang-a-lang

Comment

Yeah, it's OK. Not positively irritating or anything like that. But meh.

[edit: I'm trying hard here. I'd have found it easy to reach the same view as Fussbudget above. But then I am also a total and utter non-fan of the Manics.]

Comment

I struggled to make it through the Manics' song, and I love them and am fairly well disposed towards Wales.

I've got that Prinal Scream single somewhere. it couldn't be more of its time if it had come with a free bottle of Two Dogs.

World In Motion wins for me, New Order and John Barnes being enough to cancel out the Allen factor.

Comment

Good football songs:

World in Motion
                      Football's Coming Home
                      Stern des Suedens

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote:
                        Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle
                        Not even the Manics greatest football song.
                        Obviously 'Bobby Gould Must Go' was the product of a conceptual genius but I prefer the positive thrust of this one.

I's as corny as fuck but I do love it, I genuinely tear up most times I hear it.
                        There's also South Yorkshire Mass Murderer on This is My Truth Tell Me Yours. I don't know whether you can call that a football song, but it's the most effective song on their best album.

There aren't very many really good songs explicitly about football. Helen Love's Cardiff City Superstars is pretty close to perfect. Half Man Half Biscuit get it, but I can't think of really good song by them that's about football. Friday Night and the Gates Are Low, maybe, but it's one of their weaker songs.

World in Motion isn't a terrible song, but it's weaker than most of New Order's output - it never manages to transcend being a football song - that's how I feel about Together Stronger (C'mon Wales) - and you're right, they're really cheesy.

Three Lions (Football's Coming Home) is one of the few football songs to do that - still manages to send a shiver down my spine every time I listen to it (and I despise England). But maybe that's because it captures a moment; an event; so perfectly and is embedded into what remains of a national consciousness. And also, probably, because the Lightning Seeds are a much better band than they generally get credit for.

Obviously the best song about Euro '96 is Arab Strap's First Big Weekend Of Summer. But it's not a football song.

Comment

You must understand my critical faculties are clouded to cumulonimbus levels on this.

It's a Wales tournament song, ferchrisakes! I'd probably like it if it was done by someone like...I don't know...Adele or Coldplay!

Added to that I am a huge Manics fans and think they have pitched the mix of melancholy about past failures and dumb, blind optimism just right.

Then again, I grew to love this (Ramsey has featured on some classics) and I get really maudlin about it now given what's happened since.

Comment

Bizarre Löw Triangle wrote:

There's also South Yorkshire Mass Murderer on This is My Truth Tell Me Yours. I don't know whether you can call that a football song, but it's the most effective song on their best album.

There aren't very many really good songs explicitly about football. Helen Love's Cardiff City Superstars is pretty close to perfect. Half Man Half Biscuit get it, but I can't think of really good song by them that's about football. Friday Night and the Gates Are Low, maybe, but it's one of their weaker songs.
                            Yeah, I think I'd struggle to call 'SYMM' a football song. I don't think I've ever met anyone who has TIMTTMY as their favourite Manics album before either, kudos.

I love 'Cardiff City Superstars' and still occasionally get it as an earworm, not as frequently nowadays though, obvs.

Comment

Bizarre Löw Triangle wrote: Half Man Half Biscuit get it, but I can't think of really good song by them that's about football. Friday Night and the Gates Are Low, maybe, but it's one of their weaker songs
                              Nigel Blackwell wrote: A specific Tranmere anthem? No, we don't do love songs

Comment

My all-time favourite is "Bayern" by Die Toten Hosen. Which this year I dedicate to Mats fucking Hummels. Video and translated lyrics.

Comment

Can't help feeling the Manics might have jinxed a few players by naming them in the song. Two of the four players named in Three Lions '98 ended up not being selected, and one of the two who did make the squad missed a penalty in the shootout against Argentina.

Comment

It´s an obvious choice, but..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jf06WlIwEs

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: Can't help feeling the Manics might have jinxed a few players by naming them in the song. Two of the four players named in Three Lions '98 ended up not being selected, and one of the two who did make the squad missed a penalty in the shootout against Argentina.
                                      Ledley's already a huge doubt, such is the way of these things though.

Comment

I s'pose it makes sense for Wales to put out a high-profile record ahead of the Euros. (I mean, who knows how long it might be before they qualify for anything again?) And I guess it makes perfect sense for the Manics to record it. I heard the song this morning on 6Music: it's not exactly their farthest-reaching lyrical moment (rhyming 'Bale' with 'Wales', etc) but has a rousing quality which should propel it into the lower reaches of the charts.

If I'm honest though, I thought it sounded like The Darkness.

Anyway, some good football songs (and assuming we can't include Arab Strap and The Undertones):

01 World In Motion - Englandneworder
                                        02 Kicker Conspiracy - The Fall
                                        03 Nice One Cyril - Cockerel Chorus
                                        04 I Was a Teenage Armchair Honved Fan - HMHB
                                        05 Love on the Terraces - Serious Drinking
                                        06 Our Camel is a Winner! - Kuwaiti World Cup Squad 1982
                                        07 England's Irie - Black Grape/Joe Strummer
                                        08 Back Home - England World Cup Squad 1970
                                        09 Official Colourbox World Cup Theme - Colourbox
                                        10 Ossie's Dream - Chas 'n' Dave/THFC Cup Final Squad 1981

(Edited - props to Alderman and Fussbudget.)

Comment

Proclaimers 'Joyful Kilmarnock Blues,'

If not the best song about football then the best about that period between 16.45 on a Saturday and 19.00/Sunday/some point when you finally get over having watched your team get hummed.

Comment

Kinnel Tommy by Ed Banger.

Comment

On the Wales song I like how they decided that thinking up rhymes for the lesser squad members was going to make the song too long and decided to just print off their names on bits of A4 and do a very poor version of Subterranean Homesick Blues

This is the best football song

Comment

As well as being a complete comedy vacuum, Adam & Joe are utterly non-football.

I remember the promotion for their XFM show used to focus on the fact that it was the best thing to do on a Saturday afternoon, it wasn't sarcastic either.

Comment

Finally, a proper chance for me to mention Tutti Al Mondo on here.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X