Like father, like son.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like father, like son.

February 1984. Sixteen year old Jason Dozzell comes on as a substitute for Ipswich, and scores his first ever goal on his debut.

April 2016. Sixteen year old Andre Dozzell comes on as a substitute for Ipswich, and scores his first ever goal on his debut.

Is this a first?

Like father, like son.

I posed the same question in a discussion with Mrs HO earlier. We're no Robbie Savages, but we think it is.

Whether it is or not, it feels like it rescues a terribly moribund season for Ipswich. I feel full of happiness and optimism tonight, all because of Andre Dozzell. And some wine.

Comment

Like father, like son.

Hot Orange wrote: I posed the same question in a discussion with Mrs HO earlier. We're no Robbie Savages, but we think it is.
      A whole family of Robbie Savages! Can you imagine?! The arguments would be never-ending as no-one would concede anything and they'd be the worst neighbours in the world.

Comment

Like father, like son.

On holiday in the Algarve, I once sat for dinner, with my family, on a table next to Robbie Savage, his wife and two children. They all had identical light (or bleach)-blonde hair, reddish tans and white tee-shirts. They looked like a pride of lions. I don't recall any arguing. Despite his slightly mangey looking mane, there was no mistaking the dominant male.

Comment

Like father, like son.

Talking of Ipswich stalwarts:

Jim Feeney (1921-85), two caps for Northern Ireland

his son

Warren Feeney sr (1949-), one NI cap

his son

Warren Feeney jr (1980-), an impressive 46 caps

Comment

Like father, like son.

Didn't Eidur Gujohnsen and his father do something similar? I know he was subbed on for his father early in his career.

Comment

Like father, like son.

The Iceland manager fucked it up. A father and son had never played international football together in history (which I think is still the case). Instead the manager subs off Arnor and brings on Eidur.

Comment

Like father, like son.

Can someone explain why both Arnor and Eidur's surnames don't seem to tally with Iceland's famously patronymic system? I know Arnor moved abroad but as a born and bred Icelander, he'd have to stick to the (incredibly strict) rules.

Surely it should be Eidur Arnorsson? As for his dad, why is it "-sen" at the end? That's the Danish/Norwegian spelling of the suffix, isn't it?

Why am I asking these questions?

Comment

Like father, like son.

I think Arnor's parents or grandparents may have been Danish.

Comment

Like father, like son.

Duncan Gardner wrote: I think Arnor's parents or grandparents may have been Danish.
                    That makes too much sense for the Mannanafnanefnd's liking.

Comment

Like father, like son.

evilC wrote:
                      Originally posted by Hot Orange
                      I posed the same question in a discussion with Mrs HO earlier. We're no Robbie Savages, but we think it is.
                      A whole family of Robbie Savages! Can you imagine?! The arguments would be never-ending as no-one would concede anything and they'd be the worst neighbours in the world.
                      That sounds like our family get-togethers.

Comment

Like father, like son.

If Kasper Scmiechel wins the league, will this be the first father and son to do so?

Comment

Like father, like son.

Jon wrote: If Kasper Scmiechel wins the league, will this be the first father and son to do so?
                          Ian Wright and Shaun Wright-Philips

Comment

Like father, like son.

My God, yes! I'd completely forgotten he'd played for Chelsea.

Comment

Like father, like son.

Darren Ferguson got a league winner's medal in '92/'93. Not quite the same thing but I'm pretty sure his dad would have got one as well.

Comment

Like father, like son.

Is this only restricted to British football? If not:

Ove Kindvall won league titles in The Netherlands and Sweden. Niclas Kindvall was in the Norrköpping squad that finished first in the league in the early 1990s, but weren't champions because they didn't win the Mästerskapsserien.

Oh, and the Maldinis.

Comment

Working...
                                X