Not in my lifetime - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow I'm off to Rotherham for the weekend, mainly so I can watch Rotherham United v Nottingham Forest on Saturday. We've not beaten them since the month that I was conceived. I'm not expecting it to happen now...

Surely now it's more likely than ever - Rotherham's in relative form, Forest in a slump. I suggest you use protection this weekend if you're, er, in the mood and in the position.

Bundesliga 2 relegation battle tomorrow evening - FSV Frankfurt v Paderborn. FSV have a new coach, Falko Götz, having sacked Thomas Oral last Saturday after seven winless games (Oral blithely announced around the start of that streak that he'd be coaching Karslruhe next season). Paderborn are on their third coach of the season, and after last week's 0-4 home loss against Union the rumour is that their players no longer give a toss because most of their contracts aren't valid for D3 - with that attitude they should have no end of clubs willing to sign them for next season. Finesse is not expected to be on either team's agenda.

Comment

Zamudio v Santutxu

After Bermeo's recent run Zamudio need to keep winning to stay top and guarantee their place in the Copa Del Rey 2016/17 (the winners of each Tercera División group go into the hat) and Santutxu will look to keep good run of performances against the top four in recent months going.

Zamudio's ground is allegedly one of the nicer grounds in La Tercera de Euskadi and you can read a little more about it and see some pictures via Chris Clements' Estadio's de Espańa website.

Comment

I have no football planned for this weekend.

I am, however, going to Headingley on Sunday for day one of Yorkshire vs Hampshire

Comment

Horsham v Hailsham Town on Saturday.

It's twenty years since HFC won the old Isthmian League Division 3 and the former supporters' club chairman has arranged for several of that season's squad to come along to celebrate the anniversary at this last home league game. We haven't yet heard if the manager from 95/96, Mark Dunk*, will be attending. Fingers crossed.

Also, with HFC needing just one point to guarantee the SCFL Premier title, the SCFL bigwigs will be at Gorings Mead to present the trophy (if required).

* Father of Brighton's Lewis Dunk

Comment

Hartlepool v York. One last big away day before we scuttle our ship and sink back into the gloom.

Guy Profumo wrote: I am, however, going to Headingley on Sunday for day one of Yorkshire vs Hampshire
            Might well pop along too, first day of the season and all, depending on the Hartlepool hangover situation...

Comment

I also have no football planned for the weekend.

I will be at Donington Park to supposedly be watching the brother-in-laws motor racing team in the British Touring Cars but from around 13:30 I'll be glued to my phone for score updates.

Comment

Colchester v Peterborough for me. Colchester have picked up massively in recent weeks but it is probably too late to avoid the drop.

Comment

Brentford v Bristol City

I'm taking my Mum who last set foot in Griffin Park more than 50 years ago. We're then going on a tour of her favourite haunts from her younger days.

Comment

Am in Shrewsbury but going to the cartoon festival instead of watching Town v Bradford.

Comment

cantagalo wrote: Brentford v Bristol City

I'm taking my Mum who last set foot in Griffin Park more than 50 years ago. We're then going on a tour of her favourite haunts from her younger days.
                      I hope your mum has a wonderful day!

Comment

wiblflibl wrote:
                        Originally posted by cantagalo
                        Brentford v Bristol City

I hope your mum has a wonderful day!
                        Aw thanks. She has Sky at home (mainly for the cricket, it has to be said), so I nag her to watch Brentford on the rare occasions they're on. I just hope they perform better than when she had to sit through their miserable defeat at Brighton.

Comment

Am meeting noj of this parish (and his two boys) for Tamworth vs Fylde (being approx half way between me (currently in Birmingham) and him (in western Leicestershire)

Comment

A family gathering is taking me to Leicester this weekend, so it would seem silly not to go and watch the local team, especially as they are top of the table. So Leicester Nirvana v Northampton Spencer it is.

Comment

After failing with all my plans to see any live football this week so far I am definitely going to Wimbledon v Crawley tomorrow.

I should see at least four, if not all six, of The Dons' remaining matches in (what I feel obliged to call, despite my concerns about tempting fate) their run in.

There, that should comfortably put the mockers on any play-off push.

Yes, we're at the time of the season when we use the terms "run-in", "put the mockers on" and "play-off push".

Comment

Sun. Leicester - West Ham

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote: Am in Shrewsbury but going to the cartoon festival instead of watching Town v Bradford.
                                  Good, because you're a Jonah.

Mind you come 5pm,etc,etc...

Comment

Gainsborough Trinity v Lowestoft Town. Both sides are in the clump of clubs battling relegation from the Conference North. Never been to Gainsborough before so I will also be trying to clear the five Guide pubs.

Comment

FK Haugesund 2 - 2 Lillestrom SK

Haugesund Stadion is a nice compact ground conveniently situated about a ten minute walk from my hotel (actually, most things in Haugesund are a ten minute walk from each other. Except things that are right next to each other). Most of the 8754 capacity is accounted for by two decent sized stands along the sides of the pitch, all seats except for a little standing section in the top corner of one of the stands that seems to hold the Haugesund Ultras.

At one end of the ground there's an uncovered seated stand with about seven or eight rows of seats, a third of which was occupied by away supporters. At the other end is a small, modern standing "terrace" that's split between home and away fans (3/5 in favour of home), and, given that A) I'm Aberdonian and B) I'm a sucker for standing at the fitba, that's where I stationed myself for a very reasonable NOK 130 (a seat along the side is double the cost. Jings!).

This was a Friday night game which kicked off in lovely spring sunshine, and as there was no Liverpool / Man U / whoever's-popular-in-the-Premiership-these-days game to keep people away, there was a healthy crowd of around 6000 at a rough guess, including probably 100-200 away fans, who made quite a lot of noise, and had a big flag. Haugesund turned out in all-white with Lillestrom in a Borussia Dortmund-esque yellow-black-yellow; nice colours but somewhat spoilt by the multiple sponsors all over both kits.

Haugesund won the Battle Of The Numbers with six starters wearing 1-11 and all of them in sensible positions for their number - the only doubt was over a left midfielder bearing number 8 but I reckon that's just about acceptable. Lillestrom only had four, although all of them were in the correct position for their number - 3 LB, 7 RM, 8 CM, 9 CF (yes, I was taking notes). Except for Lillestrom's goalie, who was wearing a frankly disgraceful 77, there was no number higher than 23.

Oh right, the game. Jeez. 4-4-2 seems to be the formation of choice in Norway, which helped for an open game. Haugesund got the first goal after five minutes - corner half-cleared, knocked back in and bounced off a defender, biffed into the roof of the net from eight yards out. The equaliser was a bit more classy - Lillestrom sliced the defence open down the left and their tricksie number 20 sent a great cross, which was flicked in from pretty close range.

Haugesund had a good start to the second half too, and went in front again - a long throw from the left was flicked on and knocked in at the far post . After that Lillestrom went long ball, which didn't really work as the Haugesund number 5 won every header he went up for. It looked like a home win, then with ten minutes left one of the Haugesund subs missed a sitter, Lillestrom went up the other end, won a free kick which broke to their striker, and he whacked it low past the keeper to tie it out at 2-2.

All round, a thoroughly enjoyable evening out - a new ground bagged, a new country to watch a game in, an open and watchable match, and four goals. Oh, and some of the prettiest policewomen I've ever seen....

Comment

FSV Frankfurt 0 Paderborn 2

New coach, same old shit. Paderborn scored twice with their only two shots. Frankfurt failed to score with their half dozen or so chances, so a fair result. FSV's 11th. home defeat of the season, and yet remarkably they could still stay up.

Paderborn brought 200, and they refused to sing as a protest against their board, except to chant 'Board out!'. They cheered the goals, though, which you can't blame them for given the season they've suffered.

On the plus side, I got six miles of walking exercise there and back, and took some nice shots of the floodlights against the twilit sky. Found a nice pizza place on the walk home - perfectly baked thin crust. Topping of cheese, salami, mushrooms and anchovies, washed down with the obligatory half liter of Pils.

Comment

Late decision to go to Marine v Ramsbottom Utd. A home win against doomed Rammy will pretty much guarantee survival for the Mariners.

Comment

First "scab" chants before the two minute mark. Ho hum...

Comment

Lovely day for watching football.

Comment

We really need to score one of these chances.

Comment

Lansbury, in keeping with his name, has the haircut of a minor, but somewhat disreputable, character in an episode of "Murder She Wrote"...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X