Thinking Football Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to the second evening of the Thinking Football Festival sponsored by Athletic Club Bilbao last night. The second film of the evening was Blanco, Celeste, Blanco which was about Ossie Ardiles' transfer to Tottenham and his ensuing relationship with the club, England and Argentina following the outbreak of the Falkland's War. It was followed by a short Q&A with the man himself, the director and another bloke who's presence I didn't quite understand to be honest but he lead the Q&A.

The film was excellent and portrayed Ardiles to be very humble and generous. This was exactly how he came across in the Q&A as well. It was a very enjoyable evening free of charge. The festival kicked off with a screening of I Believe In Miracles and a Q&A with John Robertson, Kevin Drinkell and the director of that film. I missed that due to work but anyone interested can check out the rest of the programme here.

Looks interesting.

Is it a traveling festival or a one off in Bilbao?

Comment

Tony C wrote: Looks interesting.

Is it a traveling festival or a one off in Bilbao?
      Just here in Bilbao. Think it's been running for about 4 years now.

Comment

Is it around the same time every year?

It sounds absolutely ace.

Comment

I think ESPN was involved with that Ardiles film. ESPN USA did a week (and then repeats) of various documentaries in anticipation of WC 2014. One was about Hillsborough, another about Maradona in WC 86 that was excellent, one about an Ireland bombing just before WC 94, another about Garrincha. Most were really good and probably can be found on-line.

Of course, watching in one's home isn't as fun as the kind of festival atmosphere described by ingoldale.

Comment

danielmak wrote: I think ESPN was involved with that Ardiles film. ESPN USA did a week (and then repeats) of various documentaries in anticipation of WC 2014. One was about Hillsborough, another about Maradona in WC 86 that was excellent, one about an Ireland bombing just before WC 94, another about Garrincha. Most were really good and probably can be found on-line.

Of course, watching in one's home isn't as fun as the kind of festival atmosphere described by ingoldale.
            Yeah, Ardiles was wearing an ESPN body warmer fleece for the shoot in the Falklands. The directors mentioned that the films were available to watch on youtube.

The festival also reminded me of this, which I hope they've seen!

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Is it around the same time every year?

It sounds absolutely ace.
              Yeah, it seems to run about the same time every year. A student at the language school mentioned it to me about a month before it started this year which was how I found out about it.

Comment

Working...
              X