No. of your team's live games shown on free telly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barnsley v Liverpool, 10.3.85, lost 4-0, Rush hat-trick

Five Scots played for Liverpool that day.

Comment

Twice for Berwick that I can think of. See if anyone can spot the theme...

January 2002. Scottish Cup. Berwick 0 - Rangers 0
      August 2012. League. Berwick 1 - Rangers 1

The second of which was particularly memorable for the referee spotting a completely non-existent infringement to stop Berwick getting a very late winner and it being the occasion of relatively rare media attention being paid to the crap getting sung by some Rangers fans...

Comment

Barnsley also beat Chelsea 1-0 in the 2008 FA Cup live on the BBC.

Comment

Cheltenham Town were on BBC1 in 2006 when we played Newcastle in the FA Cup 4th Round, we lost 2-0.

Our 2002 playoff final against Rushden and Diamonds was also on ITV Digital, but I can't remember if that was a subscription thing or not.

Comment

I saw Shrewsbury play at Cheltenham in 2001 (I think) which was Shrewsbury's first ever appearance on Sky.

Comment

September 1999, our first season in the Football League. Our first appearance on Sky was the FA Trophy Final the year before.

The 15 year old me actually watched the Shrewsbury game on TV rather than go because I wondered what it would be like to watch Cheltenham Town on TV. It wasn't great, we lost 1-0 to a Lee Steele goal and were never in the game.

I'm quite certain our first ever appearance on TV was on Sportsnight in 1996 when our FA Cup 1st Round replay against Peterborough was the main game. We lost 3-2 aet.

No-one foresaw what was about to happen over the next few years. Cheltenham Town wasn't even a big non-league team, so to win 3 promotions and be in the, then, Division 2 by 2002 was really some achievement, one that doesn't get the credit it warrants and didn't at the time either.

Comment

Rochdale at Wolves in the FA Cup 5th round in 2003 was I think our first. Wolves got two late, scandalously offside goals to win 3-1.

Oh look there's me blowing my nose, I noted later when watching it at home, with that ludicrous sense of importance those of us not used to seeing themselves on television get at such moments.

Comment

Two, both our Junior Cup Final appearances but the commentary was in Gaelic.

Comment

I’ve only watched it twice, but from a distance BBC Alba seems about the only reason for the Beeb’s continued existence, ever since BBC4 just went full Scandinavian Noir and Dadrock retrospectives. The Reggie Yates and Stacey Investigates type BBC3 documentary stuff they token show at about 1 in the morning at the weekend on BBC2 can be really good, for non shinty or busking fans, shorn of fucking Family Guy BBC3 doesn’t look so much like a pissjug full of shite. Even People Like Us can be tolerable. Wouldn’t be surprised if every fucker in it went to that creepy AdeleWinehouseTheKooks stage school though.

Comment

One, I think. Weymouth in the cup first round in 2006. Auntie was definitely hoping for an upset but we drew 2-2.

We were 3-2 down at half-time of the replay. I was almost in tears on the shoulder of ex-player Hughen Riley, who was sitting next to me that night.

Ended up winning 4-3 and beat Chester after a replay in the next round, but we were expelled from the cup for fielding an illegible player in the Chester replay.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                        we were expelled from the cup for fielding an illegible player in the Chester replay.
                        You couldn't read the name on his shirt?

Comment

Two - League Cup semi-final in 97, both legs. In the second leg I was on screen at 58:03

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                            You couldn't read the name on his shirt?
                            Nope.

Pretty sure I typed 'ineligible' on my phone as I slurped my coffee this morning, but this is another example of my shit memory today. I couldn't rmember my phone number before, FFS.

Would the prospect of Alan Stubbs or Steve Evans at Bury also bring about a 'FFS' by the way?

Comment

Stubbs - nice man shit manager
                              Evans - opposite

Comment

So Rotherham United still haven't made it, but a non-league club that I never saw when I lived there (cos I was talked out of it) have made it. Pity about the result, mind...

Comment

Steve Evans is a nice manager?

Comment

Worked for us. As did Colin. And Emlyn Hughes.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                      September 1999, our first season in the Football League. Our first appearance on Sky was the FA Trophy Final the year before.

The 15 year old me actually watched the Shrewsbury game on TV rather than go because I wondered what it would be like to watch Cheltenham Town on TV. It wasn't great, we lost 1-0 to a Lee Steele goal and were never in the game.

I'm quite certain our first ever appearance on TV was on Sportsnight in 1996 when our FA Cup 1st Round replay against Peterborough was the main game. We lost 3-2 aet.

No-one foresaw what was about to happen over the next few years. Cheltenham Town wasn't even a big non-league team, so to win 3 promotions and be in the, then, Division 2 by 2002 was really some achievement, one that doesn't get the credit it warrants and didn't at the time either.
                                      Insufficient credit for 'winning' promotion to the Conference by finishing second, eleven points behind the champions...?

Comment

Fair point, well made, abut the first promotion. but what was achieved following that still warrants a modicum of credit in my view and I don't think we ever got it.

Comment

Now Maldon & Tiptree have beaten us to being live on the free telly...

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

I was at that game!

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                              No. of your team's live games shown on free telly

Carlisle managed it twice. The first time was our first trip to Wembley for the Auto Windscreens final against Birmingham, and Border showed it live (probably cos Central were showing it so they didn't have to go to much effort) - they even replayed extensive highlights on the Monday evening so those who'd gone to Wembley could watch it back.

The second time was when ITV had the Football League rights, and I think I'm right in saying they agreed a one off price with the League and it was up to the regions to decide how much they made use of the deal (with little additional costs other than production). Regions with several FL teams like Tyne Tees and Granada went to town on it, but Border cashed in this privilege only once, showing a home game vs Wycombe. It was such a novelty that I stayed at home and watched it on TV, despite going to every other home game that season.
                                              We managed a third recently, being our BBC live debut away at Dulwich Hamlet.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I was at that game!
                                                Oh. Just realised Simon posted that in response to my inaccurate post saying I was at that game.

I feel like a div.

Comment

Working...
                                                X