The Fanzine Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
    After a year's hiatus, popular STAND fanzine is returning for 2020/21 season, but given the uncertainties around ground attendance both now, and for the rest of the season, it will (for now) be subscription only.

Details of how to subscribe here if anyone is interested
    Why the year’s hiatus?

Comment

I needed a break from it so stepped down as editor. No-one else stepped up. So it ceased until I felt I could make it work again.

Comment

I needed a break from it so stepped down as editor. No-one else stepped up. So it ceased until I felt I could make it work again.
        That’s a shame no one stepped up. I hope you’re rested well and I’m glad to see print continuing. All the best for the season.

Comment

If anyone has old copies of Rigore they no longer want please let me know, will swap for beer money.

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
            If anyone has old copies of Rigore they no longer want please let me know, will swap for beer money.
            I might have some duplicates. I will look through the box where I keep my zines and can PM you later in the week. Rigore has been much harder to find than the other English language zines about non-English leagues from that time (e.g., Elfmeter and Aux Armes). I don't know if I still need all of these but at one time I posted here and elsewhere trying to chase down missing copies of Rigore: #1, 2, 10, 11, 15, 19, 21, 22, 24, and 26+ (if the zine went beyond issue 25). If you have duplicates of any of these, Gert, please let me know. If I have duplicates, they won't be these issues.

Comment

Thanks danielmak . I have no spares but I can try and scan any you want - I'll check later.

Comment

After a year's hiatus, popular STAND fanzine is returning for 2020/21 season, but given the uncertainties around ground attendance both now, and for the rest of the season, it will (for now) be subscription only.

Details of how to subscribe here if anyone is interested
                Is this any relation to No Smoking in the Main Stand? I'm going through all my stuff steadily and I've reached fanzines. I have hundreds and one is NSITMS from the nineties.

Comment

No, we're a separate 'zine. We started in '98 and NSITHM started in (I think) '96. I suspect there's a crossover of some of our early contributors but we're two distinct fanzines.

NSITMS, Raise the Roof and Raise the Roof II all predate popular STAND, and Keegan Was Crap Really began round about the same time as us I think, and was eventually absorbed into popular STAND. I think one of my regular contributors has at some point written for all of them.

Comment

I'm glad this thread moved back to the top of this sub-forum. Gert from the Well I looked and couldn't find any duplicates of Rigore, which tells me I sent them along to the zine archive at my university. Sorry I didn't write back sooner. I looked right away and then spaced out.

Comment

No, we're a separate 'zine. We started in '98 and NSITHM started in (I think) '96. I suspect there's a crossover of some of our early contributors but we're two distinct fanzines.

NSITMS, Raise the Roof and Raise the Roof II all predate popular STAND, and Keegan Was Crap Really began round about the same time as us I think, and was eventually absorbed into popular STAND. I think one of my regular contributors has at some point written for all of them.
                      Thanks. There's been at least three Boro fanzines, maybe more. Next question: what to do with hundreds of old fanzines.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                        Next question: what to do with hundreds of old fanzines.
                        FedEx them to danielmak That's what I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          FedEx them to danielmak That's what I did.
                          My university library has a fanzine archive. There are some things they won't let me submit: basically anything that would be very well covered by area libraries (Maximum Rockandroll, WSC, stuff like that). But anything that is very small run, I have a method for getting those into the archive. PT sent me a box that will be delivered to my library when I am back on campus (I am currently working remotely because of COVID). Of course, sending to the US can be pricey so I always recommend first checking with local universities where you live, checking with the national football museum archives, and checking with universities that have football management/football studies programs. Finally, if the local club(s) have any kind of archive or museum, those are also good resources for old zines.

Comment

Tbh it was a lot cheaper than I though it would be to send a pile of fanzines to America. And I just dropped them off at a nearby corner shop.

Comment

It looks like I might have found a home for some of the Boro ones. I'm still going through the rest. I'm keeping WSC and, probably, The Absolute Game. The others depend on space.

Comment

York fanzine Y-Front has been publishing all through lockdown, with recent issues (including the latest, issue 12) being sent out with facsimile copies of the 80s York zine Terrace Talk, which I believe has some claim to being one of, if not the first club fanzine in the country. Really nice little historical treat.

Available to buy online: https://yfrontfanzine.bigcartel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
                                  Thanks danielmak . I have no spares but I can try and scan any you want - I'll check later.
                                  Check PM, Gert.

Comment

Erstwhile York fanzine Ginner's Left Foot has risen from the dead for a one-off Bootham Crescent farewell special, including a load of photos and contributions from the likes of Jon Champion, Guy Mowbray, John Byrne, and.... err... me.

https://twitter.com/daleymayall01/status/1330123408244400132?s=20

Comment

I finally pulled down the big box in the attic, that has all my fanzines... and I now have the decision to make. I have around 120 fanzines from the 1980's (not counting all my WSC's as a fanzine - as I have every issue from year 1 to 2008). I have 20 unique Issue #1's pictured below and around 10 unique Issue # 2's. I would say that in total around 60 of them are just the one issue I have.of that fanzine name.

I checked Ebay and aside from the fact that I am Stateside - postage is a bear - fanzines aren't a big/popular seller. I could easily drop them off at recycling and in about 5 weeks I reckon,I will forget about them and stop pining for them. I could slide them into pockets in a binder and sit them on a shelf exactly at the time (now) when I am downsizing. Or, and I need advice here, I could scan the lot (meaning, un-staple them and get rid after scanning) and upload to the web. I had thought of a Fanzine Archive site (perhaps using WordPress - as I am no web developer) where people could see these fanzines in all their digital glory. Maybe others would scan their old copies and add to the history? You think there would be any legal issues here? Of course I would not be scanning any WSC's.. So what sage advice does any have ?

PXL_20230311_153938522.jpg PXL_20230311_153847241.MP.jpg PXL_20230311_154012467.MP.jpg PXL_20230311_153908312.MP.jpg
                                      Last edited by Exiled off Main Street; 11-03-2023, 16:22.

Comment

Scan and archive, absolutely!

Comment

yes- and I'm sure there are some archives who would want the hard copies too

Comment

Originally posted by BallochSonsFan View Post
                                            Best fanzine title has to be the now defunct publication "One F in Falkirk".
                                            It's good, but it's no "Dial M for Merthyr"

Comment

As I've said before, I posted all my late Dad's fanzines to danielmak in the hope he could sneak them into the archive at his university...

Edit- in fact I mentioned it on this thread....

Comment

No one here (in my town) is interested in UK fanzines - I work at a University..... and I have contacted quite a few other local Uni libraries. Plus they are not complete collections.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post
                                                  No one here (in my town) is interested in UK fanzines - I work at a University..... and I have contacted quite a few other local Uni libraries. Plus they are not complete collections.
                                                  The BritishLlibrary had a research project a couple of years ago. maybe one of the bigger archives in the US might be interested- like the Harry Ransom Center in Texas

but the online version will get people coming
                                                  Last edited by Nefertiti2; 11-03-2023, 21:22.

Comment

Is there a memorabilia store that would be interested in stocking them as something a bit different. I know soccer trading cards have grown in popularity in the USA and a store or a dealer might consider it worth a punt.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X