Cameron? WSC 350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cameron? WSC 350

Was a conclusion ever reached about why certain clubs attracted players with big noses?

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Read issue one at the weekend. I'd no idea that WSC started off as a Chelsea fanzine or at least a fanzine with a heavy Chelsea leaning. It's come a long way, indeed it had come a long way by the time I discovered it around 1988. I remember seeing it for the first time in the old programme shop above Cafaro Brothers at the top of Renfield Street. Despite being a football obsessed Glaswegian teenager it had loads of references to people I'd never heard of. English football was really quite remote from me in those days, it wasn't ubiquitous unlike now.
      I remember one of the first issues I ever bought had a feature in it like used to be in the Bunty comic (I have a sister, okay) where you could cut out clothes and dress the person on the page. WSC had the same thing for someone who was clearly important but who remains a mystery to me to this day.

Anyway the first issue mentioned Rangers far more than any issue I've ever read since, plus it mentioned Hugh Sproat! Hugh Sproat used to deliver my uncles milk and would come in for a smoke on his way home.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Some of that first issue would not get past the lawyers today - Ken Baily "unfortunately acquitted" of molesting two boys, several uses of "bastard" as personal abuse, seemingly by the editor. Fortunately the targets are all dead.

The predictions are mostly solid, except the belief that Jack Charlton was a disastrous appointment.

When did WSC acquire its recognizable current style, rather than the hit and miss DIY fanzine of 1986? Perhaps around Hillsborough.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

I saw that bit about how Jack Charlton was going to be a disaster.

Hindsight's 20:20 and all that.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

had a feature in it like used to be in the Bunty comic (I have a sister, okay)
            A schoolfriend of my Dad's was once caught coming out of a newsagents with a copy of Bunty- although his mitigating plea that he'd been asked to get it for his younger sister might seem plausible, he was immediately nicknamed 'Bunty', later shortened to 'Bunt', a handle by which he is still known more than 50 years later.

I move that AMMS's confession is equally deserving of cruel ridicule that follows him for the rest of his natural life.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

I'm a Rangers fan, what possible level of cruel ridicule do you think I've not yet survived?

Anyway, several years of following The Four Marys makes any ridicule well worth it.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Patrick Thistle wrote:

You're described as a "skilful and entertaining writer" even though the subject matter doesn't really grab the reviewer. I'd count that as pretty positive. Should be good for an endorsement on your next book.

"A skilful and entertaining writer" - When Saturday Comes
                Far too honest. "Skillful and entertaining" - WSC.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Bunty wrote:
                  I remember one of the first issues I ever bought had a feature in it like used to be in the Bunty comic (I have a sister, okay)
                  I played football with someone whose nickname was "Princess". This was a relic from his primary-school days, during which he'd said, in front of the rest of the class, that his favourite-ever story was "The Princess And The Pea".

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Another article in the national press from the recently departed indy:
                    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/happy-birthday-wsc-the-football-fanzine-that-helped-give-supporters-a-voice-a6953111.html

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

axel wrote: Article from yesterdays Guardian on the 30th anniversary.
                      http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/mar/11/when-saturday-comes-shooting-football-fringes
                      Seems a bit obsessed with Adrian Chiles.
                      Interesting comments section, seems a fair few WSC readers have left recently complainibg about too much Premier League focus and 'leftie' politics.
                      More love for Taylors "Lovejoy" article as well.
                      A colleague had never read No Love, No Joy so I tried to find it on the site to show them but I couldn't find it. Has it been taken down?

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Giggler wrote:
                        Originally posted by axel
                        Article from yesterdays Guardian on the 30th anniversary.
                        http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/mar/11/when-saturday-comes-shooting-football-fringes
                        Seems a bit obsessed with Adrian Chiles.
                        Interesting comments section, seems a fair few WSC readers have left recently complainibg about too much Premier League focus and 'leftie' politics.
                        More love for Taylors "Lovejoy" article as well.
                        A colleague had never read No Love, No Joy so I tried to find it on the site to show them but I couldn't find it. Has it been taken down?
                        Nope, it hasn't. It's linked to in the Guardian article and that link works.

Comment

Working...
                        X