X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cameron? WSC 350

Ugh!

Cameron? WSC 350

Can't deny I'm a little disappointed with the review of my book.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Is this out? Not got mine yet.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

E-edition just arrived. I'm with GO thus far...

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

WSC puts hate figures on its cover more often than it puts people we all like on it. Seems a very strange thing to get upset by.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Isn't the rationale 'people the browsing public will recognise'? There are about 100 regular posters on here, circulation is between 10- 20,000 I think?

On the wider issue, voxpops last summer suggests that the only universally recognisable hack even during an election campaign is the PM of the day. Even Miliband, Clegg and Farage drew widespread blanks.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

I'm going to break ranks and say that I thought this month's front cover joke was quite funny, for once. Might have saved it for June, when it would have been bang on topical, but that's quibbling.

Really pleased with the reprint of issue 1. Hand-drawn graphs!

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Didn't realise I was going to be in the 30th anniversary edition. I do feel honoured.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Giggler wrote: Can't deny I'm a little disappointed with the review of my book.
                  You're described as a "skilful and entertaining writer" even though the subject matter doesn't really grab the reviewer. I'd count that as pretty positive. Should be good for an endorsement on your next book.

"A skilful and entertaining writer" - When Saturday Comes

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Hodgson is doing that face again.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

The facsimile of issue 1 was brilliant, and made me sad that I can't read stuff like that in print any more. Everyone's a "journalist" these days.

Liked the bit about Kurdistan, too.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Errorist Sympathiser wrote:
                        Everyone's a "journalist" these days
                        Last night, there were skinheads on the lawn. Ta for earworm

I was saying as much to cousin Jim the other day after finishing his historical pot-boiler. Will have to get my own publishing plans back on track.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

The photo of a snowy Brisbane Road is one of my favourite ever pictues of a football ground.

I suspect there's around 2500 in the ground but you'd never guess from the empty terrace. I think the Simon Inglis book has either the same image or one very similar too.

Those open ends abounded in the lower leagues back then (Orient being one of the few to have them behind both goals, but Argyle, Oldham, Barnsley, Cardiff, Huddersfield are ones I remember fondly). I'm struggling to think of any that still exist today.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Article from yesterdays Guardian on the 30th anniversary.
                            http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/mar/11/when-saturday-comes-shooting-football-fringes
                            Seems a bit obsessed with Adrian Chiles.
                            Interesting comments section, seems a fair few WSC readers have left recently complainibg about too much Premier League focus and 'leftie' politics.
                            More love for Taylors "Lovejoy" article as well.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

If they think it's got too much leftie politics in it now you have to wonder whether they ever read it before...

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Hodgson is Alfie Bass

WSC has always been "leftie." Perhaps the Grauniad is using Leftie as a euphemism for WSC's campaigns on anti-racism and anti-homophobia.

Also "leftie" contradicts "too much Premier League", which is a bollocks claim anyway. There's a lot more stuff on smaller clubs in WSC than on the Grauniad site.

The cover once had Thatcher and Emlyn Hughes on it so Cameron is the mild mannered janitor by comparison; even if his crimes kill more people objectively, Thatcher was the one who switched the UK to a deeply criminal trajectory regarding state racism, routine police brutality against strikers and protesters, and war for votes.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

The cover headline "Europe Debate Rages" also appeared in a 1990 issue. I assume this was deliberate?

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Pedantry: Dec 1990 was "Europe: The Debate Rages".

http://www.soccerbilia.co.uk/acatalog/When_Saturday_Comes_Monthly_Magazine_December_1990 _Issue_46.html

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

The article about Man Utd players queueing up to praise a film by their promotional partners 20th Century Fox is interesting. And pitiful.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

'Chorleypie' in the comments is surely right about the best cover though, the Houllier/Evans one.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Stuff yer superleague...

(click for a larger/more legible image)

I bloody knew I had this somewhere, and finally tracked it down after flicking through my annual collection today.
                                          From the Topical Times Football Book 1971-72, on page 2 of a four-page strip called Chicken Ted Hits Back.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

The strip in full, for anyone who might be interested...
                                            Page 1
                                            Page 2
                                            Page 3
                                            Page 4

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Well, good for Ted, I suppose. A little bit too much explanation of his motives crammed into the final frame though.

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

Just finished issue #1. Favourite eighties phrase: "Continental quilt". Thank you Kerry Dixon's mum...

Comment

Cameron? WSC 350

The Barney Ronay article with Steve McMahon as the embodiment of the way we were ("Geddupcunt!") is excellent, one of the best things I've read in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X