Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Names of Dutch footballers that I find marvellous

(An incomplete list)

Pier Alma, Ype Aanema, Sjoerd Ars, Biko Brazil, Aad van Bergenhenegouwen, Regi Blinker, Marco Boogers, Foeke Booy, Wim Balm, Dave Bus, Koen Bots, Ruud Brood, Boy Deul, Cerezo Fung A Wing, Daan Paau, Tjalling Dilling, Daaf Drok, Ab Gritter, Henk Grim, Henk Groot, Sherwin Grot, Guus Haak, Bertus de Harder, Ridgeciano Haps, Oeki Hoekema, Ronald Hoop, Brutil Hosé, Torino Hunte, Ton van den Hurk, Lion Kaak, Kees Kist, Ruud Kool, Piet Kraak, Augustine Loof, Miel Mans, Queensy Menig, Gijs Nass, Marcel Peeper, Kees Pijl, Hans Posthumus, Gerrit Plomp, Rick Plum, Richard Plug, Cor Pot, Willy Quadackers, Dolf Roks, Johannes Chrishostomos "Kick" Smit, Flip Stapper, Roelf-Jan Tiktak, Orlando Trustfull, Rutger Worm, Gradje Xhofleer, Felitciano Zschusschen

In a very tough field, this man stands out

Comment

Noteworthy nomenclature aside, Cerezo Fung A Wing sticks in my mind as one of the fattest outfield players I have ever seen.

Comment

Willy Quadrackers? Come on now, what do you take me for?

Comment

I would happily lend Dave Bus €100 and expect him to pay me back.

Comment

Hot Orange wrote: Willy Quadrackers? Come on now, what do you take me for?
            Whoops, that should be the wholly cromulent 'Quadackers' Have edited.

Comment

Ype Aanema
              Tall and tan and young and lovely!

Comment

just one "a" actually.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ype_Anema

Comment

Dave Bus....

Just don't expect him to tackle! One of the worst signings of the Jimmy Calderwood era...

Comment

Blimey, there's summat up with the drains.

Comment

Tahamata is a surname that sticks with you.

Here is a picture of his original local squad, which was made up of other members of the Moluccan community from the small town of Tiel:

http://www.oldschoolpanini.com/2015/05/the-fc-fellainis-story.html?m=1

Comment

Chairman Zhao wrote: Also by the way, does Tscheu La Ling mean anything? cause it can 100% be a Chinese name that's been corrupted over the centuries as well.
                        Apparently his real name, amongst all the confusions and such, is Ling Tshen La.

The Chinese-Surinamers appear to do names differently: sticking with footballers, aside from Cerezo Fung A Wing, you have Calvin Jong-A-Pin, and Etienne Shew-Atjon.

Comment

Off football, in a report on a community initiative in the local paper the other week was the names Flip van As and Curd Kraaijenzank.

Delighted to say that despite the relative decline of the current Eredivisie, marvellous names are certainly not one of the KPI's in decline: Jay-Roy Grot, Boy de Jong, Coen Goertemaker, Hans Hateboer, Hedewiges Maduro, Sjoerd Overgoor, Harm Zeinstra, Vito Wormgoor, Nick Marsman, Peet Bijen.....

My current favourite is Heerenveen’s Jerry St Juste who sounds like a cross between a Northern club singer and a French Revolutionary. When I see his name on the team list, I ardently wish he would come out in a powdered wig, quoting liberally from Rousseau’s Social Contract and condemning the opposition (and his team mates of course) to the guillotine.

As for the voetbal media, names I like are Jan-Joost van Gangelen, Toine van Peperstraten and commentators Frank Snoeks (pronounced Snooks) and Bas Tichler (pronounced Tickler).

Comment

Co Stout, Floor Buma, Walter Smak, Koos Kuut - and they're all just ex-Telstar players.

Comment

Alas Couto Paulista* never crossed the border from Flanders stalwarts SK Lierse.

* ne Creedence Clearwater Couto

Comment

Pretty sure I went out with Sherwin Grot when I was about fifteen.

Comment

I exchanged brief bantz with ex-Albion stalwart Richard Sneekers at a non-League tussle last term.

He's now completely bald alas.

Comment

Simon Tahamata was a cracking winger. Gave Ireland the runaround a couple of times in the early 1980s.

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote: I exchanged brief bantz with ex-Albion stalwart Richard Sneekers at a non-League tussle last term.

He's now completely bald alas.
                                      Why? What did you say to him?

Comment

Ab Plugboer

Comment

Translations of the more "normal" Dutch names are quite interesting too;

Frank and Ronald The Farmer
                                          Erwin and Ronald Cowman
                                          Frank Moneybags
                                          Denis Mountaincamp
                                          Hans Van Fracture-Profiles

Comment

Not forgetting Ipswich Town legend Romeo Without-from

Comment

Leo Legchopper

Comment

Dick Lawyer
                                                Edwin Sweetbeer*
                                                Patrick Chewer
                                                Arthur Nowman

(or, to use his full name, Eduard Andreas Dominicus Hendricus Jozef Sweetbeer)

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote: Alas Couto Paulista* never crossed the border from Flanders stalwarts SK Lierse.

* ne Creedence Clearwater Couto
                                                  It took me a couple of seconds to realise Alas wasn't the player's first name.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X