Surrey Senior be the hardest word-Midweek Matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An entirely contrived (and pretty appalling) thread title based on the fact that I'll be seeing the potentially epic David v Goliath clash in the quarter-finals of the Surrey Senior Cup tomorrow night - Molesey v Woking.

After that I'm at the Track Cycling World Championships in the Olympic Velodrome Wednesday and Thursday evening (and indeed Friday, Saturday & Sunday too).

Found a seat was available for Leicester-West Brom, so I'm sacking off Hockey training to go to that.
    Ticket was only £22, which seems pretty remarkable. It must have been designated as a 'fans fixture' or something back before the season got underway.

Comment

Alfreton Town v AFC Telford United tomorrow night. Alfreton are unbeaten since Christmas, Telford are bottom of the league. Nailed on away win then.

Comment

Atherton Collieries v Colne tonight. 3rd v 2nd in the North West Counties Premier. I may or may not be attending because I've never been to a game on February 29th before.

Comment

Shrewsbury v Rochdale tomorrow night.

It will be cold and it will be shit.

On the plus side there will not be a half and half scarf in sight and I will not have to queue for a piss.

Happy days.

Comment

Liverpool v Man City on Weds for the second time in 4 days. Happily this one can't go to extra time and penalties, it won't be a tenner a programme and it won't take 4 hours to get there.

Comment

Oxford United vs York City. Hopeing Oxford bring some of their away form to the Kastad.

Comment

Carlisle v Orient, and as usual any outcome is possible*. Finishing with 11 players is the first objective.

* What a stupid thing to say, it's a football match and of course either team winning, or a draw, are well within the bounds of possibility. It was lazy shorthand for I can't predict the result, cos we're so inconsistent.

Comment

Celtic v Dundee on Wednesday. Depending on if my flight lands safely a few hours earlier.

Have wanted to see Celtic since I was a kid. One of my best friends growing up had moved from Scotland and his family supported them.

Comment

NCFC v Chelsea. The only question is how will we lose. Either a straightforward 3-0 defeat or a heartbreaking last minute winner after a valiant, vibrant display.

Comment

Second of a series of three consecutive visits to Twerton Park tomorrow as I have two committee meetings clumsily arranged either side of a rearranged fixture against Gosport Borough. I am also the guest of a sponsor so do the whole grandstand and buffet thing and I am presenting an award on the pitch at half-time so it should be a different evening.

Mind you, with us being unbeaten since Gary Owers took over, perhaps the match will be more than the background to idle chit-chat.

Comment

I have not been to a Premier League game that has not involved Birmingham City since...way too long, but over seven years ago and probably much longer.

But a work contact has enabled some tickets for Leicester games this season, and with it being a midweek, there are three available for tonight's match with West Bromwich Albion. So, and conscious that these are in-demand, I am taking my 13-year-old niece, who lives near Hinckley, and my dad, who lives with her. They've been to KP once, when Ulloa scored two for Brighton in the last week of the Foxes promotion a couple of years ago. I told dad that a condition of them going was that he had to buy her some item of memorabilia, a scarf or hat or something, seeing how he was getting a £30 ticket for nowt.

Hopefully they will win and it will help her become a Leicester fan, which I have no problem with at all. She's not exposed to football much at all (her mum, my sister, would never take her to anything like a sporting event) so it is a big deal for her.

I last went to a football match with my dad ages ago. In fact, I can tell you exactly when. Friday 15th April 1988, when a 16-year-old Lee Sharpe was inspiring Torquay to the Fourth Division play-offs. It was an evening game, and a 0-0 draw at home to Colchester. Until the Ulloa/Brighton game 22 months ago, that was the last time dad had been to any football match anywhere. He's a Man Utd armchair fan now, mainly cos the people he most spends time with are my uncle and his son who have been Man Utd armchairs all their lives. I can barely have a football conversation with dad - he's one of those who moans whenever any team gives the ball away, when he harks on that Liverpool (in 1977) never gave the ball away and Steve Heighway always won it back. I'm sure if I asked him, he'd say Busquets gives the ball away too often. One of those. What he's going
                        to make of Pulisball, I dread to think. What is going to annoy me more is that he's actually a lapsed West Brom fan. He used to go when he was a kid with his dad, and his brother when it was Ronnie Allen and all that. His brother remains a proper Baggie, having a season-ticket still.

I want Leicester to win (of course) but have always had a soft spot for Albion. But for Trevor Francis, I would probably have ended up supporting them. I'm particularly intrigued by one of the sub-plots today, namely my favourite Premier League player, Saido Berahino.

Spare me the lecture on his transfer requests, agent pushing him etc. I like watching this lad play - make it look effortless at times, lovely technique, moves beautifully. I stand by a claim I made a couple of years ago that he'll prove to be a brilliant player for England and whichever big club signs him. Unless he signs for Liverpool of course.

I only have two woolly hats, a Birmingham one and a very bright yellow Torquay one. I'm going to have a cold head tonight.

Comment

Kryvbas Gripper Rih wrote: I am taking my 13-year-old niece, who lives near Hinckley, and my dad, who lives with her. They've been to KP once, when Ulloa scored two for Brighton in the last week of the Foxes promotion a couple of years ago. I told dad that a condition of them going was that he had to buy her some item of memorabilia, a scarf or hat or something, seeing how he was getting a £30 ticket for nowt.

Hopefully they will win and it will help her become a Leicester fan, which I have no problem with at all. She's not exposed to football much at all (her mum, my sister, would never take her to anything like a sporting event) so it is a big deal for her.
                          Pffft, glory hunter. Once to see the Champions of the second tier, the second time to see the leaders of the top tier.

You have warned her it isn't always like this, in fact it's hardly ever like this, right? If not, there might be a lifetime spent apologising for your actions...

Comment

As Janik says, you have a moral duty to explain football is suffering most of the time.

On another note a colleague has just been regaling me with stories of watching Scottish football in the 80s and how terrofying the experience was after someone else told him I was going to see Celtic. So that was fun.

Comment

you have a moral duty to explain football is suffering most of the time

An argument most likely to draw a response of utter incomprehension. I doubt many 13 year-old girls buy into the idea that suffering can be fun. They know suffering, they completely understand suffering, but seeking it out and revelling in it? Anyone suggesting that would be regarded as totally out of their tree.

Unless she's primed to be an emo. Do you want to make her an emo?

Comment

Just had a quick run through the remaining fixtures earlier on. This is Leicesters to lose now.

Isn't it?

Comment

No, no, haven't you heard? Spurs are favourites. And if not them, Arsenal. Or Man City. Definitely not Leicester.

Comment

Just got three quarters of a pint free in a Guide pub in Chesterfield as it ran out while pouring (perfectly drinkable still). So now I've got to drink this and a full pint in half an hour and get to the station for the Alfreton train. This could get messy.

Comment

That was none too shabby actually, good performance from Salop and fully deserved the win.

Four games unbeaten, 8 points from 12 and just getting a run together at the right time.

Also Grant Holt looked like he was wearing cycling shorts the lard arse.

Comment

Following on Twitter is seemed he was in a bit of a contest with Grimmer most of the game.

Ah, Grant Holt. Memories.

Comment

Molesey 1 Woking 3

My thread title seems apposite as Molesey go out via what some very dubious-seeming refereeing for two of Woking's goals. Last season the story was the same in the semi-final against Met Police. Even at this level it seems the decisions go the way of the big sides,

The Cards went ahead when the home keeper charged to the edge of the box to collect a cross without calling. This left him stranded when a team mate's headed clearance went to an opposition midfielder who lobbed it thirty yards in to the unguarded net.

The Moles equalised with the best football of the evening (despite their opponents playing three levels higher and, I presume, being full time pros) through a counter-attacking goal taking only three ultra-precise passes to go the length of the gluepot pitch before a stunning finish.

Then the ref intervened, awarding a penalty to Woking after a coming together when he was thirty yards behind the play and the (much closer) linesman didn't flag while the allegedly fouled player didn't even appeal.

He capped that (and a generally lax attitude towards some cynically violent play from Woking all game) by allowing a 95th minute clincher where the forward seemed to perform a two-handed rugby style charge down of a clearance from Molesey's keeper.

Absolutely robbed, though extra time and possible penalties would probably have induced frostbite.

Comment

An excellent 3-1 win over Peterborough, though I was turfed out of the hospitality lounge that my season ticket is for after it was given to the Posh board. They couldn't use our boardroom because it had been sold wholesale for the evening to a sponsor. It turns out absolutely everything is for sale at Gigg and that nothing is sacrosanct.

Always nice to hear the Main Stand echoing to the tune of "Graham Westley/You're a wanker/You're a wanker" though.

Comment

Alfreton Town 2-3 AFC Telford United

Told you it'd be an away win.

First half was a big lump of nothing, second one of the best halves I've seen all season, lots of enterprising play and fine goals from both sides. Particularly admired Alfreton's second to take the lead again, the number 11 kept the ball well, beat two men and rifled into the corner past a despairing dive, as they say.

Alfreton remain a hard club to love. Last time I went imp described it as "a weird place with weird people". Saw nothing to disprove that. And whoever thinks their programme is worth two quid needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

Telford are struggling, some fans I chatted with said the trust / board appears to have lost interest amidst some infighting. They feared for the future, especially if they go down again.

Comment

Motherfucking referees
                                                Motherfucking linesmen
                                                Motherfucking premier league, fucking big teams getting all the fucking decisions.
                                                Motherfucking Cameron Jerome's finishing
                                                Motherfucking football.
                                                Bah

Comment

I've got no idea how Leicester didn't win yesterday. Actually that's not true, I do know. Shooting too close to Ben Foster repeatedly and then snatching at chances at the death (wtf was that overhead kick about, Riyad?).

Hope Rih minor enjoyed the game. It had nearly everything. All that was missing was a cathartic roar for a late winner.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X