Football in the 80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football in the 80s

My book about the 1984/85 season is reviewed in the next issue of the magazine. I'm looking forward to the review but also dreading it in equal measure.

Comment

Football in the 80s

Jobi1 wrote: You definitely remember things differently to reality though. Not going back quite as far, but York's promotion-winning team of 92/93 were Gods amongst men to 12/13-year-old me, playing the kind of fast flowing, exhilarating attacking football that you'd expect to see at the highest level. Someone uploaded the end of season video to YouTube a year or two ago, and I was aghast at the quality (or lack thereof). The way the skill levels of individual players have gone these days, you'd be a bit annoyed at yourself if you wasted 10 minutes watching a park game while out for a walk if the standard was similar to that of my heroes of 93.
      I was a student in York for the '91/92 season. I filled my Saturday afternoons at Bootham Crescent. Did they really get promoted the following season? I recall three players, Dean Kiely in goal, Tony Canham(?) a John Robertson build of winger and a fellow called Reid in midfield, who may or may not have been Peter Reid's brother. It was a level above park football, but not by much.

Comment

Football in the 80s

I've never seen that Belgium v USSR game before, great stuff. "Ron" (Atkinson?) sounded really shocked that both teams could keep that pace up in the heat. Were they juicing?

Comment

Football in the 80s

The-Reverend wrote: The thing I miss is keepers having to wear the same shorts and socks as the rest of the team, though I suppose if that was the case these days then the lucrative market for Keepers shorts and socks (Home, Away and Change) would be lost
          I am not sure there is a lucrative market. Someone wants the keeper kit or not. Way back when the keepers shorts were padded. I would take a bet that nowadays that is all embedded into their compression shorts and all you are talking about is a different color short to fit with the keeper kit.

Comment

Football in the 80s

caja-dglh wrote:
            Originally posted by The-Reverend
            The thing I miss is keepers having to wear the same shorts and socks as the rest of the team, though I suppose if that was the case these days then the lucrative market for Keepers shorts and socks (Home, Away and Change) would be lost
            I am not sure there is a lucrative market. Someone wants the keeper kit or not. Way back when the keepers shorts were padded. I would take a bet that nowadays that is all embedded into their compression shorts and all you are talking about is a different color short to fit with the keeper kit.
            Not being entirely serious with my original post, I see no reason as to why even an official change shirt is required for keepers. In 87 Eric Steele wore a red training top for Derbys title decider against Plymouth, with Peter Shilton wearing a Scotland top in the Scotland v England game a couple of years later.

Though padded stuff has now gone, as to be honest it didn't work. Shame as the silver Umbro GK padded shorts looked fab.

Comment

Football in the 80s

moocowe wrote: I was a student in York for the '91/92 season. I filled my Saturday afternoons at Bootham Crescent. Did they really get promoted the following season?
              Yes, via the play-offs. Remember that season well as we went up too, Gary Bennett was a machine.

Comment

Football in the 80s

Trois Fois Un Rouge wrote:
                Originally posted by moocowe
                I was a student in York for the '91/92 season. I filled my Saturday afternoons at Bootham Crescent. Did they really get promoted the following season?
                Yes, via the play-offs. Remember that season well as we went up too, Gary Bennett was a machine.
                Bury had a great win over Wrecsam at Gigg that season. My Nigerian prince, David Adekola, grabbed one in a 3-1 win. Then we blew out to York in the play-offs.

Comment

Football in the 80s

The Liverpool sides of 73-77 and 82-84 would have blown that 88 side out of the water. No problem.

There was a very weak underbelly to that team.

Comment

Football in the 80s

The-Reverend wrote:
                    Originally posted by 1974ddr
                    Why are keepers allowed to wear short sleeves nowadays? (rants on in similar vein till nurse brings the sedatives out...)
                    I looked into this, and surprisingly it was never stipulated that a GK Jersey had to be long sleeved, just that it had to be a different colour to teh teams. Olmetta (I think) was teh first to wear short sleeves for Marseilles, though many people attribute it to the other keeper Barthez.
                    Yes, I'm sure I remember it being discussed in Shoot Magazine when Barthez wore them in the 93 final; Jimmy Greaves had a problem with it because he thought the referee wouldn't be able to see who had handled the ball in the area during a melee.

Comment

Football in the 80s

moocowe wrote:
                      Originally posted by Jobi1
                      You definitely remember things differently to reality though. Not going back quite as far, but York's promotion-winning team of 92/93 were Gods amongst men to 12/13-year-old me, playing the kind of fast flowing, exhilarating attacking football that you'd expect to see at the highest level. Someone uploaded the end of season video to YouTube a year or two ago, and I was aghast at the quality (or lack thereof). The way the skill levels of individual players have gone these days, you'd be a bit annoyed at yourself if you wasted 10 minutes watching a park game while out for a walk if the standard was similar to that of my heroes of 93.
                      I was a student in York for the '91/92 season. I filled my Saturday afternoons at Bootham Crescent. Did they really get promoted the following season? I recall three players, Dean Kiely in goal, Tony Canham(?) a John Robertson build of winger and a fellow called Reid in midfield, who may or may not have been Peter Reid's brother. It was a level above park football, but not by much.
                      We did, after adding just a couple of players, most notably the striker Paul Barnes, and letting the likes of Reid (indeed the brother of Peter, and most recently in the spotlight as Warrington manager when they knocked Exeter out of the cup last season) go. TC was an absolute hero, one of our longest serving players. It was Jon McCarthy (who went on to play for Birmingham and Northern Ireland) on the other wing who was the real star though, one of the only ones with genuine skill now I look back on it.

Comment

Football in the 80s

Weiro wrote:
                        Yes, I'm sure I remember it being discussed in Shoot Magazine when Barthez wore them in the 93 final; Jimmy Greaves had a problem with it because he thought the referee wouldn't be able to see who had handled the ball in the area during a melee.
                        That might also have been due to the fact that Barthez was wearing a jersey rather similar to Milan's.

Comment

Football in the 80s

Jobi1 wrote:
                          Originally posted by moocowe
                          Originally posted by Jobi1
                          You definitely remember things differently to reality though. Not going back quite as far, but York's promotion-winning team of 92/93 were Gods amongst men to 12/13-year-old me, playing the kind of fast flowing, exhilarating attacking football that you'd expect to see at the highest level. Someone uploaded the end of season video to YouTube a year or two ago, and I was aghast at the quality (or lack thereof). The way the skill levels of individual players have gone these days, you'd be a bit annoyed at yourself if you wasted 10 minutes watching a park game while out for a walk if the standard was similar to that of my heroes of 93.
                          We did, after adding just a couple of players, most notably the striker Paul Barnes, and letting the likes of Reid (indeed the brother of Peter, and most recently in the spotlight as Warrington manager when they knocked Exeter out of the cup last season) go. TC was an absolute hero, one of our longest serving players. It was Jon McCarthy (who went on to play for Birmingham and Northern Ireland) on the other wing who was the real star though, one of the only ones with genuine skill now I look back on it.
                          I was at the play-off final. For a couple of reasons York ought to be 'my' team and I have always had a soft spot. I went along with a cousin. Wayne Hall is the one I remember much as he seemed the most popular player with many of the fans. It seems like yesterday but some of the players in the 'Is he still playing?' thread were barely out of nappies then.

Comment

Working...
                          X