• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mascot Memories? - Weekend Matchgoing

That away area is a fucking disgrace.

Comment

For the second weekend running I skipped going to Eintracht on the grounds that it's cold, I'm getting old, and they look like a team that's no longer remotely interested in scoring goals. For the second weekend running it was 0-0. That's about as much satisfaction as I can get out of them right now.

Comment

Southwick 1-2 Haywards Heath Town.

The second tier - or "Division One" - of the Southern Combination League, and I thought it may be a massacre considering that Haywards Heath a, had won eighteen and lost one of their previous nineteen league matches this season, and b, arrived on a team coach, which we agreed marked them out as moneyed.

So they were one up after three minutes, two up just before half-time, then missed a hatful more. The afternoon was enlivened by Haywards Heath bringing on a substitute called Max Miller ("there'll never be another", etc) who, it turned out, is the cousin of someone I know. Attendance was about 120, though about half of them never left the bar.

Comment

Nice day out to Ilkley for Ilkley Town v Sherburn White Rose. 1-1 draw that was probably the right result. En route I was surprised to find that Northern Rail have some decent rolling stock in the shape,of their Class 333s.

Comment

Southport Zeb wrote: Nice day out to Ilkley for Ilkley Town v Sherburn White Rose. 1-1 draw that was probably the right result. En route I was surprised to find that Northern Rail have some decent rolling stock in the shape,of their Class 333s.
            I wouldn't speak too soon. The identical 332s were all taken out of service on Saturday night with bogie pivot fractures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35686461

Comment

Pleasant if chilly afternoon at Loftus Road, a tick for me and one which I should have done many many years ago - QPR were my 'big' team when I was a boy but the closest I got to Loftus Road action back then was seeing the goals on the BBC news on a Saturday night, cos they often featured QPR, probably for geographical convenience.

I've not given them much thought since about 1983, except when we've been knocking them out of cups, or being knocked out by them, so was an interested and semi-informed outsider, and found a strange mix of forward and backward looking about the place. Lots of talk and ambition around the proposed new stadium, and a seeming desire to be somewhere and someone else - but still a lot of recognition of the past, with some nice, informative displays about the club's history, and a big (and apparently regular) section in the programme about the 75-76 season, with it being the 40th anniversary.

Nothing startling from either side on the pitch, QPR surprisingly the better side given the respective placings.

There was a spell of great excitement in the opposite corner to us, where the home and away ends met, with much roaring, pointing and 'oo ah ya' going on. It transpired that the focal point of this was a home fan jumping the wall to, as it were, offer out the away end, with an away fan taking up his offer, leading to very brief fisticuffs.

Comment

Liverpool flags have been a source of great entertainment over the years, with some particularly over the top examples being singled out for justifiable merriment and scorn.

How nice to find then, that occasionally someone rolls back the years to simpler times when all you needed was a bedsheet, a spray can and a simple, heartfelt message....

Comment

*likes*

Comment

Went to Dulwich Hamlet v second placed East Thurrock on Saturday. Hamlet, who've picked up just one point in 9 and dropped from first to fourth, were deservedly losing 2-0 as the game went into injury time and yet somewhat remarkably, managed to escape with a point courtesy of 2 late goals - the last of which was a penalty with the final kick of the game.

To complete a fine but oh so chilly day, news came through of a late Chelsea winner at St Marys. My mate Matt who was enjoying corporate 'hospitality' (sausage and chips) is a Southampton fan and we have a £50 bet on who will finish higher (them or Everton).

Attendance was a pretty decent 1607, but the bigger crowds do bring with them attendant problems. They really need to sort the bar out. To ease the pressure on the main bar (you can easily miss 20 minutes of the second half if you go at half-time) they now operate a temporary bar outside, but they ran out of beer and so were reduced to selling small cans (330ml) of Estrella for £3.50 a pop. That must make it the most expensive beer at any football ground in the country.

Anyway, all in all a good day, especially as I was driving later so wasn't a victim of the great beer rip off.

Comment

Working...
                    X