Not on Wikipedia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not on Wikipedia

As noted on the Europa League thread, the modern world came crashing down a few hours ago when Manchester United introduced a player who didn't even exist (he does now).

So, which other footballers (or clubs, grounds, competitions, etc) have been overlooked? We're not looking for AFC Lower Mucklepatch's reserve keeper here, or your Subbuteo hat-trick against your imperfect cousin, but any names with some measure of achievement or fame. Like this guy:

Gabriel Fernando Bile, who was originally selected for Brazil's 1934 World Cup squad, but didn't travel in the end. As you'd expect, there are a few non-Wiki World Cuppers from the 1930's, but by 1974 even Zaire and Haiti get the full squad treatment - albeit just one line. Wikipedia has everything ... or so we thought.

Note: I've only looked at the English version. Feel free to point out Rashford pages in Korean or Basque, no linguistic imperialism here.

Not on Wikipedia

Henk van Rijnsoever, who was a member of the Netherlands' squad at the 1976 European Championship, doesn't have a page.

He was a late call-up, along with a few other young lads, for the third-place play-off against Yugoslavia. Neeskens and van Hanegem had to be replaced after their red cards against Czechoslovakia, and Cruijff had stormed off home to Barcelona in one of his indignant huffs about something or other.

Comment

Not on Wikipedia

tee rex wrote: Gabriel Fernando Bile, who was originally selected for Brazil's 1934 World Cup squad, but didn't travel in the end. As you'd expect, there are a few non-Wiki World Cuppers from the 1930's, but by 1974 even Zaire and Haiti get the full squad treatment - albeit just one line. Wikipedia has everything ... or so we thought.

Note: I've only looked at the English version. Feel free to point out Rashford pages in Korean or Basque, no linguistic imperialism here.
      I think it's fair enough to not have a Wiki in a foreign language; not having one in the player/club/stadium's own language would be the real sign of obscurity. Which makes the example you picked all the more impressive, because that bloke doesn't appear to have one in Portuguese either.

Comment

Not on Wikipedia

Wikipedia has a notability guide, which says that players at English clubs need to have played a Football League match or higher before they get a page. So there will be a fair few at professional clubs in the Conference who are not listed. This caused Cambridge United fans no end of frustrating when Cambridge were at that level, and then was a small source of joy in creating the pages as each squad member played their first League Two match.

Tamas Kertesz. Ferencvaros, two caps for Hungary in the 1950s (which is no mean level) and managed Ghana. Apparently. According to the wikipedia page of his Tennis playing granddaughter, at least.

Comment

Not on Wikipedia

Janik wrote: Tamas Kertesz. Ferencvaros, two caps for Hungary in the 1950s (which is no mean level) and managed Ghana. Apparently. According to the wikipedia page of his Tennis playing granddaughter, at least.
          He has a Hungarian wiki page but it doesn't mention the Ghana job (though it does have a section entitled "Coaching" which has the information "This section is missing a lot. Please help" (And that's all it says, so, yes, it is rather missing something)

Comment

Not on Wikipedia

I support a club in the lower reaches of the non-league pyramid. When the club secretary told me we'd signed a player, I asked if he was any good. His answer was delivered in hushed tones: "Well, he has a wikipedia page."

Comment

Working...
            X