Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympic Football

Gerontophile wrote:

If the aftermath of winning their gold medal at a previous games is anything to go by, they were all smashed out of their knickers.
    I want to nominate that for post of the games. Toast crumbs all over keyboard.

Comment

Olympic Football

Reed John wrote: The federation has banned Solo for six months and terminated her contract.
      http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/17385530/hope-solo-suspended-six-months-us-soccer

I'm inclined to agree with the union that they shouldn't be allowed to terminate her contract, but depending on how the contract is worded, I doubt it is really a first amendment issue.
      Clearly there's a tonne of legit reasons Solo could have been booted out of the National Team over the last few years; the drink driving, the assault charge etc etc.

But that suggests that they've deliberately overlooked Solo's behaviour to ensure the best possible chance of Olympic and World Cup wins.

And now they're using a pretext to get her off the books ASAP so they can groom someone else for the 2019 starting keeper spot.

Comment

Olympic Football

Well, if that's the case, then she's made their job extremely bloody easy for them.

Comment

Olympic Football

G-Man wrote: Surely the First Amendment protects you from legal prosecution, not from the personal consequences of what you say.
          Yes.

I'm assuming there's something in the contract about bad behavior or not bringing US Soccer into disrepute. This definitely qualifies as that, especially given her priors.

But it may be so broadly written as to give USSF the power to suppress legit dissent - after all, Solo is outspoken in the women's ongoing labor dispute with the federation - or just be arbitrary. So the union is right to reflexively try to protect her, even if they're ultimately wrong.

But that suggests that they've deliberately overlooked Solo's behaviour to ensure the best possible chance of Olympic and World Cup wins.
          I don't think anyone involved in USSF would deny that. But they had some convenient loopholes/cover - she hasn't been convicted of anything in the assault case and she was just a passenger in the DUI case. Those are both way worse than calling another team cowards, but she can't claim she's not guilty of that.

They need to give other keepers some caps now anyway because even if Hope Solo were a saint, there's still a good chance she'll be past it in three years.

Comment

Olympic Football

No matter what Hope Solo says, she'll always be a hero to me.

She'll always be one of the Greatest Americans in Sports History.

And should Sunil Gulati die before me, I will make every effort to piss on that cunt's grave.

Comment

Olympic Football

Get one thing motherfucking straight.

Hope Solo made Sunil Gulati look like the worm-fucking maggotshit-eating pigtesticle-licking worthless scum that he is after she was installed back as goalkeeper and proceeded to win titles.

So she's taken off of a $70 K salary, just so he and his scumfucking cronies can reap the millions of tv money she earned for winning gold medals and World Cups.

I mean really. Look at the big picture.

Comment

Olympic Football

You're not wrong.
                Hope Solo is just an example of when keep in' it real goes wrong.
                I just want Alyssa Naeher to play.

Comment

Working...
                X