Official Xpert Eleven Recruitment Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As we come to the end of the current season, we would like to invite you to join the friendliest football management league around.

As there is probably quite a small pool of OTFers who haven't tried it yet, we also welcome people who played in the past - it's even better now!

Will you dabble wildly in the transfer market like evilC?

Will you search for the statistical edge like Kevchenko?

Will you develop a heated eastern European rivalry like Janik and ad hoc?

All new teams will get a boost to help them compete straight away.

It's a lot of fun, doesn't require much time (5 minutes a day for one team) and will mean you can understand the monster Xpert 11 thread.

It's all about balancing your finances and longer term squad management with your shorter term goals like winning stuff. Whether you do that by wheeling and dealing, nurturing your youths, or massive injections of financial doping (like winning over 20 million on the Pools, Sits) is up to you.

The OTF league is the place to start your Xpert Eleven adventure. Sign up using THIS LINK, pick a name, kit and country of origin for your OTF team, and Etienne will press a button to spawn your starting squad of players into life.

Kevchenko
    Manager, Great Ouse Town
    Current OTF Champions

Comment

Kevchenko wrote:
      Kevchenko
      Manager, Great Ouse Town
      Current OTF Champions
      And if you get to the top flight you can set your tactics to "Bruise" and give this egotist a good kicking.

Comment

A hearty welcome, C.V.

Comment

The Ecumenical Matas (great team name, by the way) have possibly the best ever starting squad in OTF history.

Comment

Sits wrote:
            Originally posted by Kevchenko
            Kevchenko
            Manager, Great Ouse Town
            Current OTF Champions
            And if you get to the top flight you can set your tactics to "Bruise" and give this egotist a good kicking.
            Haha, bring it. We love a bit of the rough stuff: just ask Victorious Secret.

Comment

(to CV)

Ha, it's a very relative matter, starting squads are almost always entirely worthless and immediately scrapped for better players.

But your young keeper alone is worth more than some teams have begun with!

Comment

The midfield looks awful, if that's any consolation. But they do look very solid at the back.

Comment

...and the makings of a nice defensive conveyor belt (decent age gaps between the best players) too. I imagine every manager in the league would be happy with an 18/6 keeper.

Welcome aboard, CV

Comment

Great news. Welcome CV; we are also welcoming Logan Mountstuart for the new season.

Comment

Xpert Eleven Jargon Buster
                      Players are commonly analysed with their age/skill as they tend to improved rapidly while in their teens, steadily in their 20s before stabilising in their 30s.

So an eighteen year old player, with six skill bars is an 18/6.

Comment

And has potential to be a colossus in about seven seasons' time. The 30/11 is an exceptional "starter" player too. 25/9 isn't shabby either.

Comment

No you can't coach those qualities in. But Goal Instinct is not half as good as it sounds, to be honest.

Comment

Great to have you onboard CV, I've really enjoyed the two seasons I've been in for so far.

One thing that is crucial is the average age of your players. If your defense (GK and defenders on the pitch) or offense (midfielders and attackers on the pitch) have an average age of below 25 or above 29 then performance drops off. The more it is out the worse performance gets. Just mentioning as one of the first things I did was buy 5 or 6 18 year olds which I couldn't really use and ended up releasing most of them afterwards.

Comment

Welcome aboard CV!!!

Comment

Marvellous stuff - welcome CV and LM both. CV, I was thinking it was one of your aliases, I forgot it was actually EIM! You can send a team name change request and Etienne will press the requisite button, if needs be.

Comment

Carnivorous Vulgaris wrote: I've invested a fair slice of cash into the academy so hopefully that bears fruit before long.
                                  Next piece of advice from the many you're certain to receive - don't rush to siphon too much of your precious funds off in this direction straight away. The quality of your academy only creeps up slowly week on week, so there's no point in investing the maximum or anything near it straight off as it'll probably only go up by half a star each week regardless, i.e. the surplus investment is wasted.

So I'd suggest putting in maybe 100K for now, which will raise it to 3* in a couple of weeks (ish, I forget if the initial academy level is 2* or 0* or what) just as surely as tipping in 300K a week will, at this early stage. It won't get any higher beyond that at that level of investment, but upping it to 150K the week after that will get it to 3.5*, 200K to 4* in another week and so on.
                                  So you're better off husbanding that cash for the transfer market in the first instance, as that'll pay more useful immediate dividends.

Comment

Second that. In fact, I only invest 100k anyway as I'm happy to buy a good quality youth from the market if the academy doesn't produce a worthwhile talent.

If anyone is looking for team name inspiration, the list of current participants is behind the spoiler.
                                    [spoiler]AFC Csiki Monkeys
                                    AFC Harford
                                    Amwythig Dragons
                                    Arctic Insects
                                    Athletico Deva
                                    Banik Roystonov
                                    Beachcombers Utd
                                    Belenga Have Nots
                                    Berkshire Swine
                                    Bournemouth Rejects
                                    Brentford Triangle
                                    Dandy Town
                                    die Ambosse
                                    FC Blasé
                                    Fourth Lanark
                                    Go Ahead Baked Beans
                                    Great Northern Railway
                                    Great Ouse Town
                                    Greenguard FC
                                    Hideous Towns
                                    Hornville
                                    Intern Nazis on ale
                                    Les Incoherents
                                    Locomotiv Noj
                                    New England Mystics
                                    Nieuwegein Kneebiters
                                    Pinewood Passers
                                    Red Star Belle Vue
                                    Saltney Drawers
                                    Sporting Guindilla
                                    Steaua Bridge
                                    Strathcarnage
                                    Suth Seaxe Ealdormen
                                    Team of Gary Breens
                                    Thorntree Star
                                    Thoxtoxeter Seconds
                                    Val Royeaux Rovers
                                    Victorious Secret
                                    Vita Mortis
                                    Wednesday de la Zouch
                                    Wensleydale Blues
                                    Wharfedale Generals
                                    Yopney St Oh!
                                    Zeugmaspor[/spoiler]

And, since we're onto page 2 already, HERE IS THE LINK AGAIN.

New team name approved, CV.

Comment

Academy is a bit of a mystery to me. Of the seven teams I have, the best prospects I've had have come from the ones that I spend 50k/week on rather than the ones I've spent 200k/300k on.

Comment

Hey, that's rather strange but cool seeing all the names in one long list Kev. Amazed to see that, counting AFC Csiki Monkeys as a C, we only need additions beginning with E, J, K, M, O, U and X to fill out a whole alphabet, at least as things stand.

Comment

CV - there are 4 main ways of boosting your coffers by the way.

1. Selling a player
                                          2. A weekly press release of 250+ words will earn you 200,000 econs. You can write as many as you want in a week but you only get paid the once.
                                          3. Each week on a specific day (mine is Thursday), 1,000,000 econs is added to your economy. You collect this by clicking on the flashing Sponsor Activity link on your team page and collecting the sponsor money.
                                          4. Doing the pools. I see this below the Sponsor Activity link and its basically predicting the outcome of 6 chosen games (win, lose, draw). The reference on the first page to Sits is that he won 20m econs on a bumper pools in a different league to the OTF.

Comment

nmrfox wrote:
                                            2. A weekly press release of 250+ [strike]words [/strike] characters will earn you 200,000 econs. You can write as many as you want in a week but you only get paid the once.
                                            Minor correction ;-)

Comment

Kevchenko wrote:
                                              Originally posted by nmrfox
                                              2. A weekly press release of 250+ [strike]words [/strike] characters will earn you 200,000 econs. You can write as many as you want in a week but you only get paid the once.
                                              Minor correction ;-)
                                              Whoops!!! Thanks Kev

Comment

nmrfox wrote: 3. Each week on a specific day (mine is Thursday), 1,000,000 econs is added to your economy. You collect this by clicking on the flashing Sponsor Activity link on your team page and collecting the sponsor money.
                                                This reminds me, yes everyone's day for getting their weekly "sponsor" cash is different, but the weekly expenditure on one's Youth Academy always goes out in the early hours of Tuesday mornings. So today's the day to decide what your initial investment there will be, as it'll be automatically paid tonight.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote:

If anyone is looking for team name inspiration, the list of current participants is behind the spoiler.
                                                  You seem to have flushed my Turd there, Kev.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X